Deadline Options?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 16, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

IDK i'd have to see the original contract structure to see what the savings were. it was also prior to the draft and we needed room for rodgers plus there was no guarantee we were drafting an edge at the time. lawson was pretty solid last year just not great or as good as his pay.

another example is hardman. we signed him for 4 mil as a PR/WR4/gadget guy, we got an UDFA in gipson who outplayed him and took his spot. it happens. better to have too much then too little

IDFjet likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t really think it’s a big deal to not make a deadline deal. We have a lot of holes in the off-season without a ton of cap space and no second round pick to try to grab a starter to pencil in at one of those gaps.

Aero and barfolomew like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As the dust settles down after todays trade deadline the only move that I would have selfishly wanted was Cleveland to bolster our OL. Who knows if JD tried and the Vikings said Sayonara or may be they didn’t see it as a good fit (hard to believe)
    Aside from that the rest was noise. Another QB was never in the cards and in all probability none of the WR available were of interest. Our biggest variable short of OL is Zach vast inconsistency and the vanilla offensive playbook. No player available will fix that. Getting a different play caller might.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

as far as WRs go, another thing to look at is the personnel packages and hacketts offense. even when ran in GB. not a lot of 3 WRs let alone 4. Our TE2 has more snaps then our WR3 and our TE3 has more snaps then the rest of our WRs out of the top 3 combined.

LAJet and Fiftynine like this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree. The playbook in my opinion needs to be far more creative with the TEs usage and conversely the TEs need to be more aware and be a safety blanket and change routes when the pocket collapses. We need more than the usual first and second look to Garret all the time.

6. GasedAndConfused

it's hard to be creative when you have to protect your backup QB being protected by 3rd/4th string lineman. When brown went out and we had Becton, Tomlinson, CMG, Tippman, AVT those 2 games the line was above average. one of which was zachs and the offenses best game.then we lost AVT, then we lost tippman, then we lost CMG, then we lost Schwietzer. now we have our OT4 playing at RG this week, hopefully have our OC2 back and if not it'll be OC3 and our OT3 at RT (really OT 4 if you include AVT in it

KY Jets Fan and LAJet like this.
  7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

LA, JD said he call alot of teams but he said, " it takes two to tango." he also said he call about a lot of positions.. I found that interesting in and of itself.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I heard that. I think he tried within a certain range

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I still find it absurd that we don’t have a capable backup QB to Zach. Zach has missed time in his first two seasons — that’s on his resume. We have 10 games left and there is absolutely a chance he misses 1 or 2 this year based on the time he missed in his first two years. If they want Siemian to be QB2 then make him QB2. We just witnessed Sunday what could happen if you have a player like Boyle actually play.

We are still in the thick of things for the playoffs and having to throw a game or 2 because we have a Devito level player as a backup is super questionable GM.

barfolomew and IDFjet like this.
  10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

We can pick JD apart no doubt on a multitude of apparent failures yet are we ready to take a chance on another? I'd say we're not even close as an organization to moving on so I guess we bitch and moan to no avail.

barfolomew likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

Rumors and/or news around the internet today on the jets moves yesterday (or attempted moves)

1) jets made repeated inquiries for adams and evans but were told they weren't available.
    2) raiders were willing to trade renfrow but the jets wanted an outside WR not a slot WR
    3) Jets inquired about cleveland but felt he wasn't a good fit for their style of play, cleveland was also benched by Minn a few weeks ago for poor play
    4) as far as not getting cleveland JD said "ultimately at the end of the day, we did what we thought was best for the team. Were excited about the guys we have"

basically to me it seems he wanted real upgrades and not "depth guys" who will barely play. we may be able to land evans in the offseason for free

IDFjet, LAJet, Jets79 and 1 other person like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

where do you get these rumors from

barfolomew likes this.
  13. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I love rumors! Facts can be misleading, rumors true or false are revealing.

14. GasedAndConfused

NY post article from a JD interview

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks. Good feedback

16. BrowningNagle

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  17. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Can land Cleveland too post-season if we want--thx for posting

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The only fact yesterday is that JD did not make a trade. The reasons as to why not either stated by the fans or the media were nothing but unconfirmed rumors or gut feel personal opinions with no actual facts as to what transpired behind the scenes.
    unfortunately we live in the land of rumors by unconfirmed sources.

barfolomew likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

the ones I posted came straight from JD. doesn't mean it's 100% true but it's direct word of mouth from the GM

LAJet likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

no, that’s not true. Some of it came from his mouth, some of it was Costello’s reporting