2023 - Week 8: New York Jets at New York Giants

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 15, 2023.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2023.
  1. Jets

85.7%
  2. Giants

14.3%
  1. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

This team is utterly disgraceful, I don't want anyone to say playoffs, literally nothing to be proud of, the Giants all but lost the game, only the Jets could put up, 13 points, to a team, that had 14yds passing, only the Jets

barfolomew and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

I just saw someone in a Packers forum (for some reason I want them to do bad for giving up on Arog) say that Love is the worst Qb in the nfl based on what they see. Holy shit they should watch us play lol.

NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Packers fans have had Hall of Fame QB play since the mid 1990s, so when they get something other than that, they lose their minds.

papapump, Brook! and Yankee6 like this.
  4. Yankee6

an emotional Morstead 21 mins in, very cool

5. Yankee6

Holy shit Quincy Enunwa just gave the Jets offense a C-. WTF was he watching. If not for the end and getting the win thats a straight up F. I guess the win bumps them up to D-

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

This Jets team is going to play up or down to every team they face. Broncos game was a lot closer than it looked. Jets are skating by good teams and bad teams. It's so hard to call.

This is actually the first Jets win where I didn't celebrate or cheer. I just sat there giggling and laughing thinking about how Giants fans are feeling. We basically won without a QB and center. Defense almost completely carried the team.

Jets81, NYJetsO12 and Patriot like this.
  7. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Ok, I was predicting a total annihilation of the Giants by the Jets.

I was ready to eat some very serious crow when the Giants lined up for their 35-yard FG that would have iced the game for sure. But no, Gano misses! By the way, the Giants in my opinion did the right thing to go for the field goal.

Anyone who expected Zack Wilson to lead the team down the field for a tying FG is full of $hit.

Zack hits Wilson for 29 yards and the Giants due to their stupid offside penalty stop the clock for the Jets. Thibodeaux is such an idiot! Zack makes an unbelievable play with Lazard and gets the Jets to the Giants 17. Then the team is able to spike the ball in time. In two quick plays, Zack looks like Brady completing two passes each for 29 yards. FG to tie the game.

The Giants win the overtime toss and elect to receive. The playcalling was horrible, pathetic, and wimpy proving Daboll is overrated.

The Giants benefit from a horrible punt-bouncing 47 yards and the Jets returner not doing his job.

Finally, Zack throws a deep ball to Taylor and Jackson has no choice but to interfere to prevent a TD. Game Over!

Ok, this was an ugly game and one could argue both offenses sucked. But in the end, Hackett's playcalling allowed Zack to throw the ball down the field and exploit the Giant's secondary. Sure you could argue with 24 seconds left he had no choice. But in the overtime, Zack was allowed to throw the ball versus the conservative run game approach. Maybe Hackett realized with a tired Giant's front and suspect Giant's secondary, it was time to get the training wheels from Zack.

My God, Zack won this game for the Jets at the end. Am I the only one realizing this? He was money and this may be the best end-game performance in his career.

In the meantime, while digesting some serious crow instead of very serious crow (LOL), I have learned my lesson for sure. Don't ever try to predict a Jets game!

8. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I said a modified version of this in the game thread (and in several prior game threads), but imho the best way to salvage QB play from Zach Wilson is to take away all his reads. ALL OF THEM. He's stupid; sorry, but he is. He might be able to solve a math problem, or get a nice score on his SATs, but he's *football* stupid. He is incapable of taking football data (where defenders are lined-up, what are preferred match ups, down and distance, etc), analyzing at the speed necessary in the NFL and making good decisions. He just can't do it.

But I do think his arm is at least slightly above average when he plants his feet and throws with confidence.

So what do you do? Take away his reads and decision making. If you're the play caller, you send in a play, you do not allow any audibles or adjustments, you give Wilson a single receiver to throw it to (whoever you would have made the primary option if you had a normal QB) ... and then he either throws it to that receiver (if he is open) or he throws it out of bounds. No reading a defensive player, no secondary reads, no dump-offs if no one is open, no scrambling ... no anything other than throwing it to the named receiver or throwing it away.

This would minimize a huge portion of the opportunities for Wilson to make mistakes - throwing off his back foot, misinterpreting a defense (zone vs man, etc), scrambling backwards 10 yards then taking a sack, throwing across the field to a third option who kinda/sorta might be open, strip sacks, holding on to the ball too long. 90% of those go away. He's either open or he's not - no other decisions.

Of course, no offensive coordinator in the league (including the dope calling our plays) would ever do this because they all think they are the smartest guy in the room and that if their QB just correctly makes the two pre-snap reads, plus the three post-snap progression reads that an open receiver has to be there and every play is a touchdown. Sorry, you might be the smartest guy in the room, but your QB is the dumbest guy on the field. Either you can accept it and do what is available to you to minimize his mistakes, or you're going to score 10 points and gift the other team good field position all game.

If they are not willing to do something like this, they should either (a) sign the best option QB who graduated in the last three years and run the wishbone, or (b) punt on first down. It literally can't be worse than watching Wilson not having any understanding of what is going on around him for four quarters.

EDIT:
    And every single play should be from under center (no shotgun) and every pass play should be off of play-action. The whole league knows the only thing we do well is run off-tackle with Hall; there is no reason we shouldn't be using that to help Wilson pass.

#208 Unhappyjetsfan, Oct 30, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
    HomeoftheJets and Brook! like this.
  9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Some of his most back breaking plays come from holding onto the ball too long, aka extending the play.

He was doing the same stupid shit that he’d been doing way less of (which earned him praise) in this game: throwing to the turf, running backwards, holding the ball too long and taking horrible sacks.

#209 Jets81, Oct 30, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You should know as well as anybody that the kind of quarterback play the Jets got today doesn’t win Super Bowls, let alone playoff games. It was good enough to win a game against a team that was doing everything it could to lose.

barfolomew and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

How does offensive points and passing yards given up correlate in any way?

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Still mind blown how bad Daboll was in this game

ColoradoContrails and Jets81 like this.
  13. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

The Jets got lucky in this one...plain and simple.

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

It is easy to say 24 sec Zach was holding the ball to long but was anyone actually getting open?

15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The Giants, Pats, and Dolphins are the 3 teams where I will overlook any amount of grossness or ineptitude as long as we get the win. Wipe the board and move on to the next game.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

we got so freaking lucky

Daboll had some weird moments for sure, perhaps the biggest is why would you even suit up a QB for an NFL game if you never want to see him attempt a pass

it’s not like Tyrod Taylor is the most durable guy anyway: there was always a possibility of DeVito seeing the field

JetFanInPA likes this.
  17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Saw a stat that at one point the Giants were 99.9% likely to win - not sure you could get a more unlikely comeback win (maybe 99.99...etc) but has anyone ever seen a team lose from being 99%+ likely to win before?

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Right. At that level, he's not even practice squad worthy

And that speaks to, among many other points, how poorly the Jets played yesterday. Yeah, giving up 10 points on defense seems good, but when they're playing a QB who hardly attempted a pass, they should have barely let up a 1st down. With that play-calling and QB, Barkley should have 1 yard per carry, not pushing 4. Plus, with how bad DeVito clearly was along with how bad the Jets offense is, you had a better chance to score if they stacked the box and made DeVito put the ball in the air. He was a strip sack and INT waiting to happen. I legitimately felt better about the Jets chances of scoring on defense than offense.

What a pathetic performance top to bottom - especially coaching. But, they got the win and they're now 4-3. It's such a week to week league so it's possible they come out looking much better next week.

20. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

If I were saleh, I’m cutting the cord from Hackett to zack next week and letting him go schoolyard. He’s over coached. But then again, that’s why I watch on tv