And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I wasn't gonna post tonight... I'm almost as disgusted by this CS, as when I stopped following the team (for the 1st time in 58 freakin' years) when they hired the unmentionable Mr Gase.
    Hackett is another defensive offensive coordinator,
    While I think he's a great teacher of the game to his players, he has put together the most stagnant, unimaginative "scheme," if you can even call it that.
    There's no aim to it. It's like scoring is besides the point... just don't make mistakes, which they do anyway.
    He's another pull-a-play-out-of-a-hat playcaller. There's no reason to his playcalling... every play is a separate play, rather than a series of successive plays, based on previous plays, that are devised to confuse the opponent, & lead to a TD.
    It's more about field position, than scoring. It's defensive.

Call Zach whatever ya want, but his skill is dynamic... it moves.
    It's no wonder that Zach did more in that 24 seconds, than in the previous 59 minutes... he moved.
    The rest of the game, was like he's half asleep.
    He wasn't zipping the ball, or playing today.
    Lastly, how about getting Malik Taylor into the game... good things seem to happen when he gets on the field.

Oh, & a special shoutout to Xavier Newman. The kid's head must've been spinning, but he settled down, & filled in nicely. He's a keeper!

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We all know Zach is ass and we're stuck with him... but he did step up at the end of a shitty game with some big throws.

This game was gonna be a defensive struggle... literally more punts than points.

It ain't much but hey... we got a win... and there ain't nothing wrong with that.

3. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I cannot wait until Zach is off this team. Partly because I've seen enough games like today's to last several lifetimes (tbf vast majority would be losses). But mainly so we can stop having this discussion over and over. He is not good, he is not the answer, we can only hope we squeak enough of these type of games to make the playoffs maybe.
    I wish we could see what Semien can do. Not that he's the answer either but just a slight uptick in QB play means several more wins the rest of the way

4. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

We only won because Tyrod Taylor got knocked out.

Defense/ST won the game. Zach and Offense pretty much almost lost it for us if it wasn’t due to the miracle drive and bad Giants D.

Zach trending down.

Jedi mind tricks and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I did not know I was competing. Can you be more specific on him sucking?

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with most of what you said here, but I disagree that Zach should go on a shorter leash. In fact I think that's a big part of the problem, that Hackett is trying to make the offense so conservative to minimize mistakes that they're playing scared. They just need to accept the fact that Zach WILL make some mistakes, but he's also going to make some big plays. If you look at when he does his best, it's when the Jets have their backs against the wall and have no choice but to let Zach wing it. In all my years of watching sports, one thing is consistently true: if you play not to lose, you'll more than likely lose.

NY Jets68, Brook!, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  7. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I feel like it may be time to give Siemian a go this next home game against the Chargers to give him a game to gell in live action while at home before the team has to go on the road to LV and Buffalo which will likely be tough games.

Chargers game isn't going to be easy either. With the way our offense has been performing we could easily be looking at a 3 game losing streak so I feel like it might be best to preemptively try to get ahead of things and try the one obvious move that might get our offense at least doing something. Siemian may not be Joe Montana but he has an established track record of being an effective NFL QB.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  8. Pepsiguy5

Well let him wing it then. I don't mind a few INTs either if at least things are moving forward once in awhile.

But either which way if they keep bumbling along with the status quo the losing streak (I think) is going to inevitably come. All 4 wins have been extremely shaky and could have easily gone the other way. At some point you (I mean the Jets brass) need to recognize that winning this way is not at all sustainable and the lucky streak is going to come to a screeching grinding halt. Something needs to be changed and quick if we're going to actually have a chance to sneak into the playoffs.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

I wrote something similar in the "Is Hackett the Worst OC" thread. There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to his play calling. Like he's trying so hard to be unpredictable that there's no coherent strategy. I think he needs to move up to the box like LaFleur did. That made a big difference for MLF, and I think it might for Hackett. It's worth a shot anyway, because whatever he's seeing on the field isn't enough to help him call the right plays.

10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The last time we knocked him out we lost at Cleveland. I was afraid history would repeat.

11. ColoradoContrails

I get why you would say this, but the reality is that Siemian would never have been able to make the plays Zach did to win the game. Of course, it's possible that with Siemian they would've put up a few more scores and it never would've come down to the desperation plays it did. But the other thing is that because Zach did pull off a miracle the Jets are very unlikely to bench him.

12. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I’m sure a dozen quoted this, but I’ll answer without looking: we got our answer, and it’s not good.

SackRecord99 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah there is. A lot wrong. The Jets and the QB played like pure dog shit.

They wanna make the playoffs? Cincy at 4-3 is gonna be a playoff team, try punting 10 times against them.

Ralebird likes this.
  14. The_Darksider

Convince the other team to stop blitzing and play a prevent and maybe we can.

15. The_Darksider

I’m sure you accounted for it with well disguised sarcasm, but that’s not exactly going out on a limb as far as predictions go

16. Pepsiguy5

I think if Siemian was playing today more than 7 points would have gotten on the board almost for sure. The Patriots game would have been a win as well.

I've watched games of his in the past with the Broncos.... no world beater but he can effectively run an NFL offense and I would even go so far as to say he'd be a winning QB with the weapons and defensive support the Jets offer. You go watch some of his throws on Youtube or whatever. He's put together games, highlights, and even deep bomb passes that Zach can't even dream of comparing too. Something has to change soon and its at least worth a shot to try to get this offense moving before its too late.

Ralebird and SackRecord99 like this.
  17. Pepsiguy5

yeah... not good at all.

Not even saying today was all on Zach and I do give him credit for hanging in there at the end, getting the ball spiked etc. But no matter what lense you try to look at it through he just isn't up to the job. Or at the very least there are a lot of other people out there that can do the job better so we really ought to give somebody else a try at it.

18. The_Darksider

How about those two terrible sacks he took in the ultimate crunch time? One of them gave the Giants the ball in a position to stick the dagger in.

And please, 24 second Zach did that against a prevent defense that gave him the middle of the field and he took it - and almost got caught with the clock at 0:00 before he got the ball got into his hands.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  19. The_Darksider

This was something we’d been hoping for the past few weeks and something had to give. Zach would either turn a corner or we’d get today.

We got today.

Only so much you can do to convince yourself that the epiphany is coming.

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for that moronic penalty my KT, we're not even having this conversation, he have the Jets a TO, which they did not have.
    I wonder what Douglas thinks watching this team!

The_Darksider and Acad23 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.