And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I read earlier this week that on that bootleg the WR ran the wrong route, so Zach had nowhere to go with the ball with Hassan Reddick practically on top of him. It looked to me like he thought about throwing the ball away, but thought better of it and took the sack. I think that it was the right decision. I think if he had tried to throw the ball away, Reddick could possibly have blocked it up in the air, caught it and returned it for a TD or Reddick could have sacked him in the act of throwing it away and it's possible that Reddick or another defender could have picked the ball up and ran it back for a TD, or even if tackled, the Jets come away without any points. Zach was being safe with the ball, and as a result we got 3 points and the win.

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I also got the feeling that he just decided to eat the sack as the least of all evils at the time. Would have been nice if he could have just winged the ball out the back of the end zone to avoid a grounding call, but regardless, it did feel like he took the path of just take the sack instead of throwing a pick or fumbling etc.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Yeah, he has got ragged on for this play and I agree. The WR ran the wrong route instead of doing something stupid he played it safe.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--I know its not a popular opinion lol--I just don't know how you look your teammates in the face like nothing happened after you ignore their efforts--I guess I can only speak for how I behave in team sports.

Also ,I've never seen another QB act this way so consistently--what give him a pass in year 3? Everyone is willing to say hes incompetent--I'm just going further and saying there's more to it. How can a receiver bust their butt over and over again when he's not even getting a look? It's just bad.

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Do not lie, you never played a sport in your life.

6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

So I play sports to the extent that you are open-minded?

And I should also say I act better toward any person I see as part of my team--in relationships, at work, etc.

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I can tell by the lack of support that Zach's teammates hate him. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO this is a dumb post and total BS. I hope that it was a drunk post. If that is truly what you think, and you're not just trolling, then you suck at determining who people are. There's absolutely nothing that would back up your opinion of whom Zach is. On any given completed pass play in the NFL, one can often see that other receivers are open. They busted their asses getting open too. Should those receivers get angry that the QB threw the ball to someone else rather than them? Maybe they should get angry at the OC for designing plays where they aren't the #1 read/priority on the play. Maybe they (the receivers) should also get angry at the OL when it allows the defense to sack the QB before he can throw the ball to them (the receivers). If receivers start taking that attitude of getting angry at the QB when he doesn't throw the ball to them, they might as well shut down the NFL, because passing will cease to exist.

cval likes this.
  9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I don't agree with you but I do agree that its no fun to perseverate upon so I'll stop now. We'll see if anything ever comes out regarding my perception of his antics.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I heard this on the radio and I’m not sure which outlet came up with the stat and how they were even able to determine it but they said Garrett Wilson is second in the league in number of first read targets.

Meaning they leave the huddle, he’s the first (only) read and the ball is thrown to him.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you don’t have to stop. All opinions should be welcomed. None of us even know what the locker room thinks of Zach Wilson anyway so it’s all speculation

I’ve seen players frustrated at times for sure but it could be frustration at the lack of results and not personal

Ralebird, Jonathan_Vilma and IDFjet like this.
  12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I remember some reporter asking a question about open receivers or receivers complaining. His answer was something to the effect I throw it to whoever gets open first.

13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think it’s fair to debate and critique players’ play on the field…when we get into the intent or personality kind of things I think that gets dicey…None of us are in the building with them, we don’t know them personally…sure we can glean some things from press conferences and interviews, but also those are sometimes kind of take it with a grain of salt type deals too…I have no idea if Zach is a nice guy or an asshole in the building…but I sure feel I’m free to critique his play on the field…

My two cents…

14. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

The NFL needs to change the rules. Three footballs in play at a time! ;) Goodell must be working on that right now since he's been guaranteed another 200 million or so. It's so disgusting...

NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

64 mil a year, signed through 2027

16. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Even back-pedalling, you should be able to throw it away to the sideline at a 45-degree angle very easily, away from any onrushers.

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

You are responding to the same guy who said he knows the ins and outs of zachs love life. Take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Y axis doesn't really matter much here, but he leads the league in first read target share which backs up what you're saying.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Last 3 weeks yes becuase that includes the Chiefs game where he played like a good starter. Last 2 weeks his performance has been comparable to those guys.

20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If I'm reading this right, an interesting way to look at this is see "non-first read %" and then compare the number of receptions.
    For example Lazard and Gabriel Davis have about the same rate of non-first-read (85%) and Davis has 21 receptions vs Lazard 14. Of course this is influenced by a lot of factors but one would expect that over time, the better QB hits their non-first read more frequently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.