And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

just saw this, this morning. We are middle of the pack for 3 and outs so it’s not bad as people make it out to be. Similar to jets d stats but we are elite!

https://x.com/arjunmenon100/status/1714367425158766986?s=20

2. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Except he's not average. He's at the bottom of the league. If he gets to average, that would be another huge improvement.

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

the stats are skewed because of the first three games. Zach has played much better the last three games and he continues to grow. If you watched the last three games and have not seen growth you are blind. The Lazard penalty was a killer for the stats and for the team.

If the Jets fix their red zone issues there is no telling how far this team can go.

Zach is in year 3 (Year 2 games played) and learning a new offense. He is not a ten-year vet. If he continues to grow against some lesser defenses this team will make a splash. If this is his ceiling we will have a lot of ugly games. Look at my post of points scored last week for wins. Only two teams scored 30+ and 5 teams won scoring less than 20. We are not seeing the high-powered offenses like we have seen in the past. This year has been a grind.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

#904 dawinner127, Oct 18, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Tiki made a great comment on that throw. This is more about protection than the read or throw. He need to recognize that the o-line had that picked up and did not even need to drift rt and had time. Zach thought the pressure is coming need to get this ball out quick. He also said this will come it takes time for a young QB to understand that.

-The out route was flat-out dropped.

- The bomb to GW awesome! Looked off the safety just enough for GW to make that catch.

6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Full disclosure I didn’t get to watch the Eagles game until the replay of it on NFL network last night. Knowing we won and for the most part reports were Zach played well, I expected to see better than what I saw in the game. That said, the Eagles D is outstanding and deserves credit too.
    The bottom line is Zach has improved over last season, but he’s still very far away from being a viable starting QB.

7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

And this is why I don't think he gives a shit about anyone--his 2nd, 3rd, receivers bust their ass to get open and he doesn't even look at them! He knows he not going to look at them even before the play!! He's an awful teammate and just a pos for a qb.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

IDFjet likes this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

NY Jets68 likes this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We can't just throw out games which don't support our argument. Would it be fair for someone to say Zach has played badly if you don't count his last 3 games? Of course not, so why do the opposite?

If the argument is that the most recent 3 are more important because they've shown growth, that could easily be countered by simple variance in numbers. It's very possible he's just had better games for random reasons and will soon have another stinker.

For what it's worth, I do agree that Zach has improved this year. He's cut way back on the missed throws and interceptions which were his main problems in years past. He still needs to put up more yardage and TDs if he's to be considered average or good though.

Ralebird, HomeoftheJets and Jets79 like this.
  12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You know he has improved by watching the games. You can see that he had improved in those first games as well (Minus NE). You are correcthe needs to keep improving. He is moving the team well between the 20's but are red zone struggles are real. He has missed some throws, Some play calling, some stupid penalties, and some questionable calls.

The bright side is we are getting into the red zone at a pretty good rate. (curious to see the stats on that) and scoring 20+ points with are abysmal performance in the zone. If we can get this fixed this team will be a Super Bowl contender.

This past game the 40 yard pass to GW on the off-side we punch that it or Zach throws a TD(I know big Stretch) the stats look a lot different.

Jets79 likes this.
  13. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

What's crazy is I rewatched it too (Sunday - wife's birthday, noisy bar, lots of distractions) and came way with the opposite reaction. I thought Zach was better the second time I watched the game. He did more than just playing not to lose. The sack he took on the bootleg in the red zone was brutal, but faced in a similar moment later on, he was onto it and hit Conklin for a first down. He looked gutty and confident like we haven't seen. Some throws were not accurate - but they were close. And he made some good throws too. he's trusting GW on contested throws by putting them high - perhaps slightly too high, but wait and see, he'll get a TD or two doing that. And lastly, he's been great on 2-pt conversions, meaning the RZ failures are probably not all on him. I liked what I saw.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Fields, Jones, and Mills have all been light years better than Zach, and they've all been surrounded by less talent.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thats a hot take considering jones has almost been benched for zappe several times this season. mills isn't even playing, and fields has been as bad as zach and hasn't shown improvement this year

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

LOL... that may be a little extreme.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Zach was replaced at the start of the year, in case you forgot. Fields hasn't shown improvement?

Fields QBR:
    Year 1 - 73.2
    Year 2 - 85.2
    Year 3 - 91.6
    Zach has his highest QBR of his career ATM at 73.4 - .2 points higher than Fields rookie year.

Mac Jones -
    Year 1 - 92.5
    Year 2 - 84.8
    Year 3 - 74.4
    Even in his worst year he has a higher rating than Zach's best year. Last year his OC was their DC! He is light years ahead of Zach.

Davis Mills
    Year 1 - 88.8
    Year 2 - 78.8

All of these guys have far better TD/INT ratios as well. And their all on crap teams - not on a team that went all in.

#917 ouchy, Oct 18, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He's playing like an average backup now, as opposed to an average practice squad player.

ouchy and stinkyB like this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Backups last week

T.Bagent 10-14-1 83 yards 56.5----L

M.White 0-1-1 ---W

Minshew 33-55-3 60.3------L

Hoyer 6-10 102 94.6-----W

J. Dobbs 21-41-1 235 58.5---L

T.Taylor 24-36 200- 80.8-----L

I think he has played better than an average Backup the last 3 weeks.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you know how i feel about stats :)
    it leaves out so much. just watch the games. both fields and jones have been awful.
    i'll give a few examples so i'm not vague
    fields has faced easy defenses all year. he faced 1 tough D (KC which we faced as well) he was 50% 99 yards 1 TD 1 INT in that game.
    just watch fields. he's awful. unless he has a fully clean pocket and his 1st target is wide open right away he can't do crap. just because that may happen a lot in a game doesn't mean much. he can't run an offense, or go through progressions.
    caling the bears "worse" is interesting too. it's sleeping on DJ moore at WR, and getsy is a good OC so far. he was the QB coach/passing game coordinator in GB under hackett for rodgers MVP seasons.
    the bears D sucks but their O isn't bad at all outside of fields. wouldn't surprise me if their backup out performs him. we will see though since fields is out for a little bit.
    People said the same about the carolina offense with young at QB that he doesn't have help, he missed a game and the backup dalton went off for 360 yards 2 TDs and 0 INTs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.