And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I can't believe people are arguing that it was a bullshit call. It was an illegal block, Lazard is moving towards the LOS (albeit diagnoally).

I think this is the play where Blankenship hurt his ribs. It's a dumb play by Lazard. You see it all the time now. Blockers come in and just get in the way. That's what they are taught now.

It costs the Jets 40 yards in field position and not one player or coach argued. They know it was the right call.

2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah….I remember a while back there was a Warren Sapp block on an OL that was similar…the OL was chasing down an interception and Sapp leveled him kind of in a similar way…and taunted him after…total dick move

Not sure if that was the play that created this rule or not…

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I really think if you only want to hear praise for everything the team does and want to ignore the things unworthy of praise, an open forum for a complete discussion is not the place for you.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

not one player or coach argued? That’s news to me

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I usually agree with this but in his defense, it's getting really fucking old. Zach farts and we have to nitpick what he had for lunch that day based off the smell. It's why I haven't bothered coming to this site almost at all the last 6 weeks. There's close to no room for a productive Zach Wilson discussion because of the tribalism.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's your choice. Should analysis of everything involved in the team be limited to praise for all, or just for Wilson?

dawinner127 likes this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Nah, that’s not really the case. Is mostly people with blind faith arguing with people acknowledging the growth but not being satisfied by it. If that’s to stressful for you then maybe you should stay away a while longer.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

I didn't say it's stressful. I didn't say it's all wrong. I have plenty of criticisms of Zach but some people here make it their identity .It's annoying and there's very little value provided here at this point when it comes to actual football discussion. I figured maybe the bye week will alleviate some of it. Hopefully it does.

Jets81, NCJetsfan, burf and 1 other person like this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

There's a difference between analysis and monotonous nitpicking down to the frame of video.

10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Nice man--thank you.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

anytime!

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

True true. It definitely becomes an identity thing.

It’s very hard to ignore though when considering the positions impact on the team as a whole.

Rogers would be getting ripped if he were putting up these kinds of numbers as well, though the blame would probably be more distributed amongst the offense as a whole. He has a track record on excellence on his side, though.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I give props to Zach for not making a crucial mistake and it felt like he was growing as a QB.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He’s also standing in the pocket a lot more than he used to. I felt like he fled early on the 4th and 5 cutting the field in half unnecessarily but overall he’s been better at it. Now we need him to move up and left and up and right when he’s standing in there.

Granted, it’s very difficult to do.

Jets79 and NY Jets68 like this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

IMO what he just needs to do is show enough to get us a 4th, maybe even a 3rd, in the offseason.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

When you have Fletcher Cox Going against a guard I did not even know was on the team it is hard to step-up

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I don't think we trade him. I think we let him back up rodgers another year. Could be wrong though.

18. burf

burf Well-Known Member

THAT has been one of my biggest concerns about Zach, from the beginning... his nature.
    Zach has talent, he works hard, he's toughed through some crazy adversity, but does he have that edge that great QBs/athletes have?
    I mentioned his conservative, good-boy upbringing once, & there was a lot of push-back.
    But that's my biggest concern at this point.
    He's a respectful, good kid, who was put in his 'place' seemingly as a child.
    Has anyone ever seen him angry, or heard an angry word from him?
    Has he ever questioned anything, in public, about anything?
    With the previous OC, he just went along with them trying to change him, & as a result, lost confidence & overthought everything. There never was any pushback, he just took it & eventually vaporized.
    He just does what he's told. He defers to those that supposedly know better than him... those in authority.

A frustrated Justin Fields spoke out publicly a few weeks ago, & within a week, his CS gave him more leash to use his talents.
    The O has moved the ball enough, to get into the redzone numerous times.
    But continue to settle for FGs, once there.
    Zach's matured a lot over the past year, but he's still the good boy... he needs to stand up for himself, & stop deferring to alleged authority, & tell Hackett it's time to finish drives, & score TDs.
    In other words, keep doing what got them into the redzone.

The ironic thing, is that Hackett was the redzone playcaller in GB. And wasn't he successful doing that?
    Yeah, he had AR as QB, but there's only one way to see if Zach can do it... let him. Stop stalling drives, by going away from what got ya into the redzone.

19. Lon Chaney

Not on any of the replays I saw. Lazard is kind of pleading his case for like 2 seconds.

I didn't see any shots of Saleh chewing out the ref.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Lon Chaney

What are you talking about? The majority of the discussion surrounding his play has been fair with people sharing their opinions on what he is doing well, and what he's still not doing well.

People are using film breakdown and advanced stats to back their opinions.

I feel like it's been a pretty healthy debate.

Ralebird likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.