Grade our rookie draft class

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PRPitbull, Jan 14, 2007.

1. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

The grades are based on how they performed THIS SEASON, not on potential or how theyre gonna do next year.

1a. D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Times he played well, times he got schooled, played good for the most part, especially considering the calibre of DEs he went against. Did pretty good in pass protection and struggled during the run. B-

1b. Nick Mangold - Played lights out. Was able to replace former pro bowler Kevin Mawae without a hitch. IMO He was the rookie of the year. We got a pro bowler in the making. A+

2. Kellen Clemens - Didnt play this season. Unknown

3a. Anthony Schlegel - Barely saw anytime except special teams. Hasnt impressed me at all. D

3b. Eric Smith - Started off slow and saw more time towards the end of season. Play well, well enough to compete for the starting job next season. C+

4a. Brad Smith - More smoke than fire. Makes an excellent decoy though. Everyone loves him but he hasnt done much. Plays well on ST though. C

4b. Leon Washington - Absolute steal. Got more reps towards the end of the season and has played incredibly well. Wish the Jets wouldve used him sooner than giving crappy Kevan Barlow so many touches early in the season. B

5. Jason Pociask - Got hurt, didnt see him at all. Unknown

6. Drew Coleman - Played well especially considering where he was drafted. Has upside. C+

7. Titus Adams - Was cut. F

2. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

I would gave Brad Smith like a B. He was excellent on ST. And he did have some good grabs. Example) the 3rd down catch against Miami on the TD drive to Cotchery, big time catch there.

3. hazmat

hazmat New Member

How can you grade Schlegel saying he hasn't impressed you when he never played, yet Clemens is an unknown? I don't see any difference between the two, Schlegel is learning to play MLB in a 3-4 behind Barton and Vilma and Clemens is learning to play QB behind Chad. Please explain why he hasn't impressed you and why he gets a D? And don't tell me that the few games he was active you actually looked for him on special teams.

4. The U

The U Member

Those are pretty accurate grades. Brad Smith should be about a B, because he played very well on ST, was good on reverses, sneaks, and had a few nice catches. Plus, the opposing defense has to account for him every time he steps on the field.

5. The U

The U Member

I think he received a D beacuse he was a 3rd round pick and was inactive for almost the whole year. I think a D is being generous.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

1a. D'Brickashaw Ferguson - B.

The most demanding position on the line and he played it even most of the year. Got schooled by Aaron Schobel, but that's about as bad as it got. Needs to gain 10-15 pounds and keep them on during the season.

1b. Nick Mangold - A.

You never heard his name called except when he was shaken up on a play. Probably going to be a Pro Bowl Center going forward.

2. Kellen Clemens - C+.

Competed in training camp and not once all year did I hear anybody use the phrase over-matched to describe him. No idea what he will turn into but he did a good job of showing face in his first season.

3a. Anthony Schlegel - D.

Apparently does not have the tools to play in the NFL. Not cut yet but he will be if he doesn't show more next training camp.

3b. Eric Smith - C+.

Looks like a player. Maybe he'll be the lucky third after Scott Frost and Jon McGraw, both hard hitters who couldn't put it together at this level.

4a. Brad Smith - B+.

Came into camp determined to do something that helped the team. He really wants to be a QB but he did everything else the team asked. This is the kind of player you build championship teams with. Not the central players, the other 35 who either put you over the top or contribute to the slide down the mountain.

4b. Leon Washington - A.

Another roleplayer like B.Smith but his role was bigger and he stepped his play up when things got tight. I remember Bruce Harper better than I do Freeman McNeil, even though McNeil was a much bigger part of the offense. Harper always seemed to be the guy on the field on the plays the Jets had to make and usually did.

5. Jason Pociask - Inc.

Injured.

6. Drew Coleman - C.

Did a passable job in the secondary when he was called on but has a ways to go before he's on the field in more than a limited role.

7. Titus Adams - F.

Cut, a rarity in recent years. A mistake that management was confident enough to admit and release, opening space for a productive player.

7. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

1. He couldnt crack the starting lineup when we had a rotating door at the linebacker position.

2. Kinda hard to miss him, hes built like a tank and has long flowing wild man hair. Kinda stands out amongst tiny WRs and random unathletic looking linemen on STs.

3. We got a look at him in the pre season also.

Lets not act like he gets a by because he couldnt get on the field. There are a bunch of other rookie linebackers who managed to get on the field.

#7 PRPitbull, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  8. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Those grades seem pretty fair.I would probably go a little higher with Smith and Leon considering where they were drafted.

9. bergh22

bergh22 New Member

Accurate grading, but overall it might have been nice to see Cutler and McNeill instead of Clemens and Ferguson.

10. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

thanks for adding nothing to this post. Next time smash your head against the keyboard, maybe something useful will show up on the screen instead of this bs

11. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Overall it might be nice for you to just stop posting.

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Both of them would have been monumental reaches of epic proportion with the first pick. Cutler would not have started just like Clemens. Also if you are going to cherry pick draft picks, you forgot Colston, Ryans, Hester, Marc Anderson, Norwood. I really wish we drafted all of those guys.:rolleyes:

OP- Good job.

I figured what the hell and would make my own grades but yours are similar I would think. One thing, the distinction I make between Clemens and Schlegal. I gave Clemons a D+ and Schlegal a D- because of potential. Essentially, they both did not play. However, no one can argue the vast difference in potential between the two.

My grades:

Ferguson: First 12 games solid B, last 4 C-, overall a B-. Obviously hit a rookie wall. With an off season of the weight room and protein shakes maybe he can add 10-15-20 pounds of muscle. I think, and mark this down, he will eventually be an all pro.

Mangold
    - B+ Steady the whole season, no rookie wall. Only problem he had all year was Wilfork. In time that is going to be an all pro battle. Will be an all-pro in the coming years.

Clemens- D+ Was a 3rd. string. Should be inc, he had about as good a chance of being starting QB as I did this year. (not a bad thing for a rookie QB) Hopefully, he can learn as an understudy and become a franchise QB. He has many intangibles. However, he did not play and the grade reflects it.

Schlegal
    - D- Personally, I think this was the one mis-step of this regime so far. I think if he had an iota of skill he would have played much more than he did. Based on his body of work and my inability to see him as anything other than a ST player with zero upside, I give him an D- borderline F.

E. Smith- C One of those players that made me wish the season was 20 games. He was nowhere to be found early in the year but as it progressed you kept hearing his name more and more. If he can win the starting job from E. Coleman which, given his drastic improvement all year long and his big play ability, is possible. Then this could be one hell of a pick that many considered a reach.

B. Smith C+ For whatever reason he was not used as much as I would have liked to see. He did create excitement and made some key 3rd. down conversions. I really think he can be a key player in the Jets future. What position and where I have no earthly idea.

L. Washington B Another player that improved as the year progressed. He is a steal where he was picked. The lingering question about Leon is can he become a Tiki Barber featured back type or is he just another scat back. Does not matter either way he was better than expected. If we improve the O-line I think he can be special because if he gets to open space he is a wunderkind.

Jason Pociask
    - Inc. IR all year impossible to grade.

Drew Coleman- D I would have graded him much higher because I thought he was progressing nicely. However, after missing the one tackle against Buffalo he disappeared. He seemed like another steal in the draft. I guess Mangini basically told him learn how to tackle and you get back on the field. My guess is he is still learning.

Titus Adams Z (let a Giants fan grade him)- I hope the Giants enjoy him. Signed from the practice squad I believe.

#12 Miamipuck, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  13. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I cant believe Schlegel was drafted over Smith, Washington n Brad Smith...

14. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

IMO it is way too early to accurately grade that draft!

15. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

1a) D'Brickashaw Ferguson: C+
    1b) Nick Mangold: A
    2) Kellen Clemens: N/A
    3a) Anthony Schlegel: D-
    3b) Eric Smith: B-
    4a) Brad Smith: C
    4b) Leon Washington: B+
    5) Jason Pociask: N/A
    6) Drew Coleman: C
    7) Titus Adams: F

16. Vegi5894

Vegi5894 New Member

I think those grades are pretty good, and i while you may want to give leon washington and brad smith higher grades because of where they were drafted, we are grading their first season play, not their first season play compared to the expectations they have on them. Overall tho pretty accurate, and i dont know if i would discount Schlegal, yeah he didnt do anything or see many downs, but u gotta give him at least another year to show some serious development. lastly i think D'Brickashaw is gonna be great in another year or two, he knows what hes doing wrong he's got plenty of tape to watch and he intends on doing so quite a bit if you read his interview on NYJets.com, and lastly he IS going into his first NFL offseason, including his first offseason weightlifting regiment, i think things are looking up for D'Brick Wall haha

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i just quoted pit so i didnt have to type the names and draft order the responses are mine.

1a. D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Is pretty solid in pass pro and only looked like a rookie in his outing against Schoebel. But, I dont like his weight issues, and hes horrible at the point of attack, which leads to his inability to run block. Plenty of time to improve, we'll see.B-

1b. Nick Mangold - I'd give you analysis but all can say is "Mawae who?" A+

2. Kellen Clemens - Didnt play this season. Unknown

3a. Anthony Schlegel - For being a 3rd rder he shouldve at least been a staple on ST. Instead, all we can remember him for is the onside kick TO him and Chatham were involved in. Football isnt boar hunting, step it up. F

3b. Eric Smith - I was more skeptic of this pick then Schlegel. But he turned out to contribute more and produce in the very limited play he saw. Lets see if he competes for a starting spot this year. B

4a. Brad Smith - Again, he was used as a decoy more than anything. Limited WR time he saw I liked what he did. Could clean his route running up but thats expected from a position change. Made a few clutch catches that show real promise, and a aboslute gunner on ST B+

4b. Leon Washington - Thanks herm, heres one less runningback for you to ruin. Will be a ST contribnutor, at worst Kevin Faulk, get some better run blocking, who knows what then B+

5. Jason Pociask - Got hurt, didnt see him at all. Unknown

6. Drew Coleman - I know DB depth isnt THAT great. But the fact the staff even started him 1 week must mean he has the tools to develop. specially with this late pick, adds his value C+

7. Titus Adams - Was cut. F

18. smallguy

smallguy New Member

1a. D'Brickashaw Ferguson-B
    1b. Nick Mangold-A+
    2. Kellen Clemens-Inc
    3a. Anthony Schlegel-D
    3b. Eric Smith-C+
    4a. Brad Smith-B+
    4b. Leon Washington-B+
    5. Jason Pociask-Inc
    6. Drew Coleman-C
    7. Titus Adams-F

19. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

D'Brickashaw Ferguson-B. I don't remember a penalty called on him all year long. He was decent most times in the pass and probably below average on the run. But if he fills out puts on 30 pounds, i think he was worthy of 4th overall.

Nick Mangold-A+++++. Words cannot describe his importance to this team. He's tough smart, never fumbled a snap which is more than you can say about Mawae. And he was a great blocker. Future team leader riight there.

Kellen Clemens-B-. I hope noone expected him to start this year or really play at all. But i think what he did do was push Chad in training camp. Made him work harder to secure his job. He will be the future QB of the NYJ.

Anthony Schlegel-D. Every time his name was called it was because of a mistake this year. But Mangini likes him.

Eric Smith-B+. When he was in, he made a few big plays. And rumor has it he's challenging Coleman next season for the starting SS job. Good fofr him.

Brad Smith-A-. Did everything the staff asked him to do. Wasn't so against being a WR. I just hope we can use him on more throws next season.

Leon Washington-A. Got rid of Herm and got a guy who can be our future RB. Beautiful. Made so many being plays, e.g. Miami.

Jason Pociask-UNKNOWN. Who knows, perhaps he is our future FB.

Drew Coleman-D-. That play against Chicago.

Titus Adams-F. We probably should have drafter Colston instead. I thought that was pretty obvious...kidding. But obviously drafting Titus here was a mistake.

20. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Ferguson - C (I'll tell you right now how much better would have Leinart/Mangold/McNeil looked? Of course we wouldn't have the extra 2nd this year, but we'd have a tackle who is over 285 lbs)

Mangold - A (no A+ yet, I'll reserve that for later, to see if his run blocking improves)

Clemens - Incomplete (See ferguson's comments for my thoughts)

Schlegel - D- (Can we PLEASE stay away from onside kicks?)

E. Smith - B (proved to be a good player)

B Smith - C (I'm not sold, and do not have the love affair with him that most have)

Washington - B+ (Very good scatback, has not proven to be much more in my mind... however for a 4th rounder, great pick)

Pociask - Incomplete

Coleman - B (ended up being a starter, therefore great pick)

Adams - F (can't be upset about late rounders getting cut. Could be worse. We could stick with them just because we drafted them)