AVT Out for season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Oct 9, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Another thing regarding building a good OL...some teams seem to always have a good to VG/excellent OL every year. The Broncos did for a couple of decades. The Patriots did for years and theirs is still better than ours even now. There are others, but the point is building a good OL isn't some mystery process, it's like everything else, you do well at it if you value it. Obviously, despite all the words, Douglas does not. Which I find hard to believe since he played OL in college and came from two organizations that have always had pretty good OL. So IDK what his problem is, but he definitely has one.

Obviously there is much more to being a GM than this, but you can be pretty successful if you do three things:
    1. Find and retain a FQB (and always have one in the wings).
    2. Find at least one, if not two stud pass rushers (meaning consistently getting double digit sacks every year, and occasionally leading the league).
    3. Build a top end OL and keep it that way regardless of injuries or retirements.

At this point maybe Douglas has achieved #2. After 5 years he still hasn't done #1 or #3. That's just not good enough.

2. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

agreed - imagine if brown didn’t play the pats game, we could be 3-2 sigh

jets_fan likes this.
  3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Or if he didn't play in the Bills game, Rodgers might still be upright.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  4. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

well it was a cut block which he did but arod didn’t get the ball out. I don’t know if I blame brown for that. Also, I’m sure qbs have been sacked plenty this season (Daniel Jones 10x last week and No torn Achilles) but arod was the only qb so far.

5. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

This is all JD and Saleh.

AVT is a guard. Not a tackle. He’s being hurt twice playing out of position.

This is really bad.

FIX the fn Oline.

sozopol likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yes it's exactly what i'm telling you. Balt was his 1st start, jones didn't play any offense in the 1st 4 weeks except a heavy set here and there. why would you claim he's a starter when it's clearly not true and easy to verify it's not true. he also didn't do well against the ravens in a game where they only won because the ravens had like 11 drops and the offense only scored 17 despite the ravens killing themselves.
    like I said I have a buddy who's a steelers fan and he was giving me shit over the "trade and steal" and then 4 weeks into the season he's like our o-line sucks and he still can't crack the lineup.

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Who’s joking?
    I have been saying this for 40 years and dead serious.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

I know it was. that was my point borat claimed they started all 5 games. he only started this week because dan moore jr was out. and moore hasn't been good either and jones can't beat him out. PFR has him rated as a 29 (not that it's gospel) but he's been bad and jones still couldn't beat him out.

Mitchell did fine so far

edit: my bad he said "starting now" but ti's still misleading. he's starting now the same way max mitchell was "starting now" for us last year, because of injury. jones couldn't win a starting job on one of the worst o-lines in the NFL but people here think he's a savoir somehow?

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I don't know why people care about Jones when he wasn't available when we picked. However, we should have picked Harrison. You don't go all in with an expensive QB and thin o-line and then take a project edge rusher.

10. GasedAndConfused

I mean alot of us liked icky, myself included but icky has been pretty meh and sauce has been a top player so i'm not sure how anyone can complain there. and evan neal is downright awful and has become a meme right now.

you think our o-line is weak and I get it, but the past 2 weeks it's been pretty good. on top of that if you listen to other teams fans probably about 10 teams fans think their o-line is "worst" or "bottom 3" and probably about 20 teams fans think their o-line is "bad" it's all relative

He did draft tippman in the 2nd who's been rated as the top rookie lineman so far, but you know, no credit given there by anyone. espicially when JMS was the defacto #1 ranked center and he took tippman instead. JMS has been playing poorly and just got hurt last game.

Pepsiguy5 and NOVAJET like this.
  11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! :(

Jets OG fan and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, just like Tipp could not crack the starting lineup and Duane being a starter. When each one of them got an opportunity they did well. And yes, both are starters now. Jones played most snaps against Houston too, and balled out in his first start as @ouchy pointed out.

13. GasedAndConfused

there is no wrong or right way to draft though.
    JD has said how he operates.
    People still don't get it and think they know better.

He said he goes for the blue chip players if any, then rounds out the team later on.

he used a 1st on becton, injuries killed him but he was looking good before that. he traded up in the 1st for AVT, he's looked good but now 2 years in a row on IR, he used a 2nd on tippman, he looks good so far. he also used some mid rounders and mitchell has looked good in limited snaps. He signed an iron man pro bowl LG in free agency. he signed a solid OC. it's not like the mac years where we never addressed the o-line. he's used more assets in o-line then any other position except maybe edge. edge and o-line has been the majority of our capital

14. GasedAndConfused

1st of all, he didn't ball out by any means. don't pretend like you watched the game and kept and eye on jones the whole time lol.
    2nd of all tippman was drafted as a OC. maybe he didn't crack it, because the mental part. OC has to call protections. he's playing OG where he doesn't have to. he also had to beat out AVT and tomlinson to be an OG. not dan moore jr lol

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the mental fuck for AVT moving forward when facing the Broncos?

Dude should just take the week off when they are on the schedule from now on.

Sucks all the way around.

Pepsiguy5 and ouchy like this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I didn't pretend. I said that @ouchy provided you an article describing his performance, where it literally said he balled out. PFF ratings and other accounts seem to corroborate that. Have you watched the game and kept and eye on Jones the whole time and disagree?

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

McDonald wasn't a blue chip player and was the opposite of rounding out the team. There was no defending that pick at the time and there is no defending it now unless your a total JD homer.

JD isn't even average at team building. He is remarkably below average.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

an article from steelers depot lol. it's just some steelers fan writing this stuff. no better then here or reddit. it's not a real source for anything. also thats just the headline for clicks. the article (which you didn't read) praises him but doesn't gush over him. calls him solid and an improvement over moore (and moore has been awful) people here are just looking for reasons to be upset...after a win none the less lol
    he was top on our board though so it is what it is. that same type of drafting got us sauce when CB "wasnt a need" and GW and breece.
    your idea of below average is pretty funny since we had one of the least talented rosters in the NFL when he took over to one of the most. If the niners didn't get lucky with purdy, they'd look like us right now trotting out lance and losing

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

OK, so, you have not watched and can't dispute positive accounts written by these who did watch as well as great PFF rating. Then why even dispute this? Argue just to argue?

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

McDonald being on the top of our board at 15 is a condemning fact alone.

Are you frigging nuts about the niners? They got 3X the talent we have, even after blowing their wad on Lance.

Borat likes this.