AVT Out for season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Oct 9, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well again, I don't want to call for the planes flying "Fire Douglas" to get airborne, but I really have to question his thinking about how to build a viable OL. Two years in a row he used his first pick on defense despite needing OL help. You can argue that taking Sauce was worth it, but taking a DL/DE last year instead of doing something to address the OL is bordering on negligence. And I'm not criticizing him for trading the higher pick he had for Rodgers. Maybe there wasn't an OL "worthy" of the #15 pick, but given the state of our OL that's pretty hard to understand. Really? There was no OL available at #15 that wouldn't have been a better investment than another defensive player? I find that not hard to believe, but impossible to believe.

Maybe Douglas thought it was worth gambling that all the OL he had would return to form and so he could afford to take another DL/DL, but having traded for Rodgers is that gamble justifiable?

If he doesn't pull a rabbit out of his ass and get this OL fixed somehow right now, I think there may be a new GM that reaps the benefit of whatever Douglas has done here so far.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'm pretty sure that was years ago and we got a new staff.

and no you can't train to not pop an achillies. it's one of those freak injuries. some things you can train/warm up to prevent like hamstrings and groin injuries and such but thats about it. it's mostly just luck. some players are more injury prone then others. with us though it's not injury prone people getting hurt. AVT had no injury history in college and neither did becton but becton missed pretty much 2 out of his 1st 3 years and now so has AVT. laken tomlinson went on IR for us last season, he went 4 years without missing a game. for us to have 2 popped achillies in a span of 5 weeks is petty unlucky.

Stevied likes this.
  3. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Ugh another one

4. GasedAndConfused

there was 1 other lineman taken after our pick in the 1st. he went 27th and had a low 1st early 2nd grade by most.
    I haven't personally seen him play to judge, he currently has 53 grade form PFF and is 4th in most sacks allowed and 10th in snaps played
    outside of christian gonzales there really isn't any standouts from the 2nd half of the draft yet, i mean they are all just 5 games into their careers so too early to judge.
    the next standout is la porta at pick 34 which IIRC was the guy we had ranked 2nd or 3rd when we took mcdonald. I know it was a TE IDK if it was him or kincaid though we said

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Could also call arizona for beachum

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

But that's the thing - there was!!! He traded for Rodgers on draft week Monday and said the pick swap was the last thing GB asked for. One Jet Drive then showed how he had McD and Myers ahead of Broderick Jones anyway, which explains why he agreed to pick swap with 5 days still left before the draft. Only these of us who thought we had to get top tackle were livid about the pick swap. But JD didn't rate Broderick high.

Broderick Jones is starting now as a rookie and is doing pretty well already for Pitts at 22 years of age, which is about half of useless Duane Brown, JD's planned starter, who stunk.

He is not even 6'5". 6'4 1/2 with T-Rex arms. Everyone was saying he is a Guard prospect, including Saleh and JD. His arms are too short even for a guard, but on the interior it is less of a factor.

#46 Borat, Oct 9, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    ColoradoContrails and barfolomew like this.
  7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Why? He can't charge fans more because of it. The only things Woody cares about is taking our money and getting his name in the news.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

8. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'll just use this opportunity to say that I will not consider the offensive line "fixed" until we have seven above average offensive linemen on this team going into Week 1 next year. Not three above average linemen and two terrible linemen. Not one all-pro and four average linemen. Seven above average linemen. One of the biggest problems is that everyone (including our dopey front office) acts thoroughly surprised when two of our starters inevitably gets hurt (as happens every single season).

"No, no ... we drafted a tackle in the 6th round and signed a backup guard playing in his 14th season. It's totally fixed now!!!!!" <---- Every Jets fan ever

ColoradoContrails and barfolomew like this.
  9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Just another bad moment in this pathetic season. Sad for AVT, but hopefully someone can step up and be competent enough in his place.

Pepsiguy5 and barfolomew like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

he's only started 1 game for them and it was due to injury. he couldn't beat out 2 journeyman OTs who aren't good. I have a friend who is a big stealers fan. jones has had 0 impact so far. only reason he's credited for playing in all 5 games is he's down some special teams snaps. 15% of them.

11. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

Next time jets have to play in Denver, just forfeit.

Again morons on this board seem to increase daily about jd’s ol. After brown was benched it has been good! Now one of your starter is lost due to Achilles injury that can happen to anyone, they’re back to pounding their chest about drafting ol? Jfc….

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are telling me he didn't play LT against Baltimore and actually did well this weekend? That he only played ST against Houston and not vast majority of snaps at LT? Come on, GAC, you know better than that. Playing RT with us, we could have had Becton at LT, AVT at guard, Tipp at C, and maybe, just maybe Rodgers still at QB. But JD like Myers more than Broderick.

13. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

how is this a pathetic season sitting at 2-3? even if lose to eagles this weekend it’s a non conference loss and almost meaningless

jets_fan likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So if it were me and I agreed with those rankings (and let's remember these are all subjective and vary from evaluator to evaluator), I would've seriously considered either trading back to the high 20s or if no takers, just using that pick on that OL (assuming I didn't have someone rated higher. Moreover, I wouldn't have gone into this draft knowing that it was a weak one for OL without some kind of plan for maximizing my picks to get an upgrade.

This leads back to the decision to take Sauce over Icky two years ago knowing that Tackle was a massive question mark even then. Sauce is great, but is he really worth the value of a good - not even great - Tackle? IMO, no.

And while one can argue that draftees are never a sure thing, that many fail to live up to their ratings, I'd argue that you still have to try. Over the course of just the past two years Douglas has failed through FA, trades, and the draft to upgrade the OL. There's simply no excuse for that. It borders on being a firing offense - and I've been a Douglas supporter all along. But there is only so much slack you can give him and he's at the very end of that if he hasn't already gone past it.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

His first start was yesterday:
    https://steelersnow.com/broderick-jones-balls-out-in-first-career-start/

Anton Harrison is also improving.

GasedAndConfused and Borat like this.
  16. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

17. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Is anybody really surprised? This is just how things go here. Anytime there is a modicum of hope, it gets snatched away in the cruelest of fashion. They'd better get Zach used to running every play, because that's out it's going to be.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  18. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Of course he is. Anyone here expecting anything different?

2 wins, 2 key players gone to a similar injury. We can't even enjoy our wins.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

19. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

'Pathetic' probably wasn't the right word. Frustrating is more like it.

RevisIsland18 likes this.
  20. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Don't try to talk us out of the SOJ curse.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk