AVT Out for season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Oct 9, 2023.

1. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

This guy just can’t stay healthy. Shame too since he’s good player when he is on the field. Some players like him are just injury prone.

Cman68 likes this.
  2. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Well, this blows.

After listening to Saleh's pc, it doesn't sound like Carter Warren is going to play any time soon.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

4. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Can't quickly find a stat but I am willing to bet an NFL team loses 1 O-lineman in a season-endind injury on average, and has several others miss multiple games.
    Availability heuristic makes it seem like Jets are most snakebit. Seahawks as an example lost both starting OTs in game 1 this year and have been winning nevertheless.
    Several other teams have lost starting OTs this season. Unfortunately it is a brutal position and AVT seems to be both very good and very unlucky.

Cman68, ouchy and mrjet80 like this.
  5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Ugh that really sucks. You can't make this up. That guy is so good.

I hope this doesn't lead to Duane Brown getting back on the field. I'd rather see Max Mitchell

burf, ColoradoContrails and mrjet80 like this.
  6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Good teams have plenty of OL depth….JD has brought in a lot of good players overall but oddly enough the OL is what’s lacking through some odd decisions and alot of bad luck. You would think this should be the #1 priority going forward …

Jets79, ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

cmcm750203 likes this.
  8. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Bro I was going to say the same thing. I never had an injury in high school. Switched positions in college and had a reoccurring injury 2 years in a row.

burf likes this.
  9. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

If the gut punch at losing Rodgers wasn't bad enough now AVT is down again, just brutal. Maybe Tucker can have Rodger's miracle doctor perform the surgery and get him sooner than the usual recovery time.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I wonder if the NFLPA has done any looking into the frequency of injuries in the Oline of teams that are constantly moving players around.

I remember a few years ago the Cowboys were doing that a lot and it seemed like all they did was get more injured.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Wtf? 2 torn achilles in one season? Both to our best players at their positions?

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is just a coincidence or not, but he is quite undersized compared to other NFL tackles and has to make up for it with his athleticism and larger movement. That's one of the reasons some of us wanted to keep him at guard. He played over a season at Guard and never missed a snap. Then after 2-3 games at tackle he is out for the year - and now twice in a row. Moving him to tackle was never ideal, and was only in shit hits the fan scenario. Unfortunately that was the scenario right from the season start, and not because of injuries but because JD didn't address OT prior to the season. So AVT moved out of position again and now identical thing as last year happened again.

Which means he may be starting on Sunday... I am only half joking, but I will not be surprised if Carter is starting sooner rather than later. If he can stay healthy that is, this is another injury prone guy JD got.

Savatage and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I really hope we draft a stud right tackle next April so that AVT can stay put at guard, where he apparently belongs.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

It’s interesting to think about but I don’t really think he’s all too undersized to play tackle. The Packers did the same thing with Elgton Jenkins in 2021 moving from guard to tackle and he only played half the season.

He’s pretty tall and long for a guard.

16. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Yeah- the Jets O-oline depth was paper-thin to begin with this season, a point that's been raised repeatedly.

mrjet80 and Borat like this.
  17. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Fúuuuuuuuuuuug

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I understand that there is no way to know for sure. But AVT is in fact undersized for a Tackle and has short arms. They ran the #s, he was not much higher than 0% percentile. He also played a lot more at Guard and stayed healthy. Without really much other info, I would not plan on playing him at Tackle unless shit hits the fan. And the crazy thing is that indeed Saleh was saying they planned to keep him at Guard. He only ended up in this position because we didn't have two decent enough Tackles to start.

A pretty strong argument can be made that had JD addressed OT to begin with, we would have still had Arod at QB and AVT right now playing guard. And Tipp would likely have replaced the other weak link in CMG at Center. But his monumental fuck up at OT is now causing a cascading effect of shit pouring in.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

I dunno man. He’s 6’5” 310. I wouldn’t call that undersized for a guard - at least not enough to be significant.

The Patriots as an example are starting Riley Reiff listed at 6’5”, 313. Dion Dawkins for the Bills at 6’5”, 320.

Maybe the short arms thing is a legitimate factor.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Losing an OL starter to a season-ending injury isn't indicative of a curse, but losing an OL starter to the same injury that the starting QB went down with sure is.