And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Can somebody tell me how many times Aaron Rogers threw for 300 or more yards last season? Let me tell you 0 and only 4 times during his MVP season and one of them was a loss.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Let's pump the breaks. He broke the thumb on his throwing hand in week 5.

IIMeanDeanII and SackRecord99 like this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He only had 4 in his MVP season with a loss. It is a bad stat to determine how well a QB is playing. Rogers had Zero 300 hundred games last season Zach Wilson had at least one. Did Zach outperform AR last season?

You are only throwing for 300 plus yards when you are behind and trying to make a comeback or just totally demolishing a team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We ran the ball on first down on 10/12 plays to start the game vs. NE.

Passing on first down gave us Zach's best game of his career vs. the Chiefs.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe the problem is the word "blame". Technically, yes, if I say that Hackett's play calling was predictable and led to the offense not doing as well as it might have, that IS blaming Hackett. But that word has become so weighted with an absolute quality, as in "This person did that and therefore will always do that." For my part, when I assign "blame", it's not an indelible stain, it's simply acknowledging that someone made a mistake and hoping they learn from it and don't repeat it.

You get that type of production when you have a gifted RB like Breece who can turn loss/no gain plays into big gains simply because he's great. There's no way Hackett could've predicted that level of success from those plays, so to say it was a good game plan is being generous with hindsight. If Breece wasn't in the game or at less than 100% those plays wouldn't have worked so well. That said, again, I'm not saying it was a BAD game plan, just that it could've been better - the same way that Zach wasn't BAD yesterday, but he could've been better.

As to the almost equal number of runs vs. passes, that's not really the issue. It's when the plays are called. Calling for runs on 1st down is predictable, and puts them at a disadvantage. As @dawinner pointed out, Zach completed 8-10 1st down pass attempts, so why are we running so often on first down? And I didn't notice, but when Breece broke off those big runs, was it after Zach had completed 1st down pass? In any case, even if you do want to rely more on a running game it makes sense to open that up with passing - hell that's exactly why Bill Walsh created what eventually became the WCO.

With the exception of that stretch against Dallas when it was desperation time, Zach has shown he can protect the ball - he's sure not throwing 10 INTs a game like Daniel Jones did. So let him throw it more and then call for those runs when the defense has backed off. Simply stating that the number of Runs vs. Passes was about equal doesn't tell the real story.

Borat, IIMeanDeanII and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

First, if it was almost any other QB, but certainly a Brady or Mahomes (or Russell Wilson), that's an RTP for sure. But it wasn't just the helmet contact, it was grabbing Zach's face mask and twisting his head, which was a big part of how he took Zach down. It was blatant RTP but somehow the refs didn't see it.

This is why coaches should be allowed to throw the challenge flag in cases like this.

azhar80, Pepsiguy5, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While it's understandable that they have issues trusting Zach, do they not understand that perhaps they are causing some of his problems by not showing confidence/trust in him? QBs have to feel like their CS has faith in them and trusts them. I don't think it's a coincidence that when Hackett/Saleh opened up the offense vs KC, and showed some confidence in Zach, that he responded positively, but then when they tied the game, and they went back to being conservative, Zach's play tailed off. Again they are trying to force a square peg into a round hole. They are not playing to Zach's strengths. Will he make some mistakes if they open things up? Yes, undoubtedly, because all players make mistakes, and none are perfect. But I believe that he'll more than compensate for those mistakes with a much higher level of play, more big plays, and more TDs. Zach's nature is not that of a pocket passer. IMO that's at the crux of the matter. They're trying to change who he is, how he plays the game, and he just can't play that way effectively. He may never be able to play that way. IMO they are wasting his talents and his ability and are hurting the team with their stubbornness and blindness.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

good call, Rodgers is bum

9. NCJetsfan

Nope, You are wrong.

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

No he isn’t.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Zach just does not or cannot get the jets into the end zone. Red zone possessions and it's always a field goal. The jets can win kicking just FGs against the Broncos. Against better competition, that won't work.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Seriously, why do you think this is all on Zach? You don't think the mix of play calls has anything to do with this?

I admit that he struggled in the past with throws into the EZ, but only attempting those throws when the whole stadium knows you're going to do that makes it much more difficult.

And I'm not saying that it doesn't make me nervous watching him when he might attempt and EZ throw given his past failures. But he's been making some pretty accurate, clutch throws this season. I think they need to push this part of his game forward.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

My lawn flourished because I took the right steps and had the proper resources.

Wilson has the best playmakers (resources) the Jets have had in a very long time. The other resources (CS/FO) have been middling if you choose to ignore the teams records. We don’t know what steps he’s taking to improve, but we know he’s making fewer mistakes and has fewer crazy plays than before.

Things click for some people and not for others. We don’t know which one Wilson will be yet. I think back to reading how he was a film junky and had a great understanding of what he was watching on tape, but the areas that you’d think that would help him in haven’t really translated to the field.

Regarding history, it allows us to see trends which can help to avoid making the same mistakes over and over. It’s relevant whether you think it is or not, and in Wilson’s case nothings changed enough to really distinguish his short NFL past from his present. In fact, if you look at his stats, the trend looks almost exactly the same as the previous 2 seasons games except his completion percentage has gone up.

I have commented about specific areas where I’ve seen his improvement, it’s just not enough yet. He’s still a liability in my opinion. I hope he puts it together because I’m sick of this team being dead last every season, drafting QBs in high rounds that fail, and having an embarrassing offensive output year after year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Well,i for one see definite improvement in wilson, and i am extremely encouraged. Unlike other people here for whom.nothing less than perfection counts, he has upped his game the last few weeks. He has played 27 games, a season and half, without benefit of learning behind soneone great. A season and a half worth of games really a very small sample. He could revert or he could continue to grow. He has been thrust into unenviable situations,but perhaps he has now figured stuff out.

I thought his performance in denver was very good. He is ZW, not a hall of fame guy or a QB playing on a team with outstanding offensive talent all.over the place. Breece hall. Garret wilson.....
    I look forward to more games like denver. I just wish the game plan was a bit different. Maybe it will be going forward

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

If you watch this, it's evident the growth in Zach from last year. And it's clear - or should be - that he's aware of the mistakes he's made and he owns them fully, and therefore should be making improvement on them.

Borat, NCJetsfan, burf and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well I don’t think people are saying Zach should be
    27 games

He should be better

I’ll just go back to Bill Walsh, who knew a little something about offense…he said after 20 games, you know what a player will be

So with Zach, we keep going back and forth about, well it was a piss poor OL, and our receivers dropped too many passes, and our former OC sucked, and now our new OC is too conservative, or the playcalling sucks.

At what point do we just screw all that and just watch the games and say hey, maybe it’s just him? After all, he’s not the only QB to deal with poor OL or receivers or OC. And watching our games, it’s really hard to watch our offense…we have a lot of three and outs…we can’t score touchdowns worth a damn…it’s just hard. It’s like every drive is a struggle, and if Breece doesn’t take it to the house, we aren’t scoring TDs…last week when he had that long run but was caught, sure enough we didn’t punch it in. This week, he scored.

Still…I agree he’s made some progress. If nothing else, his season completion rate is now about 61% I think…hey that’s worlds better than the low 50%ish range he’s been at before. I’m seeing much better success on the layup throws…so very pleased to see that. He looks more in control there.

He is not where I would want him to be, but he’s better than he was last year, and I hope he can continue to improve.

azhar80, stinkyB and burf like this.
  17. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

my expectation is not too look back at 27 games but to look forward to the next few. I throw out everything but the recent past.
    With all due respect to Bill Walsh (I am in my 80's and remember his offense very well), you cant pick a number, say 20 games, and think that is the end all. It is really quite misleading to make that judgement. What about 19 games? the next game decides how good someone is? Its not absolute, but relative. Some guys have it out of the box, some guys take longer, some guys never get it. We don't know yet.

By the way, Mariano Rivera was a failed pitcher starting out. Then he became MO. You Never know. Of course at some point you do have to make a judgement call on a player. Just not yet on ZW.

azhar80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

That's a stupid ass comment by Bill Walsh. Just because he was a great coach doesn't mean that every thing he said and did was right. Did we know what Geno Smith was after 20 games? Alex Smith? Steve Young? James Farrior? No, and there are plenty of other QBs and NFL players who it took a while for the light to go on.

Borat likes this.
  19. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

If you asked me at the start of the season what Zach's future was I'd of said QB3 with maybe a chance to compete in camp for the QB2 spot if the QB1 was a veteran, iron man starter.

Now I'd say that he probably could catch on somewhere as a first choice QB2 and I think that Hackett has the right game plan right now in accommodating the skill set of a back-up QB - Eliminate the mistakes and let the skill players, D and ST get you the wins.

20. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

It would be good to see how many times a team won and qb threw 300+. I feel like if qb has to throw for that many yards, they’re behind and most likely lost.

“In 2019, teams went 70-66-1 when throwing for 300+ yards in a game.”

So throwing 300+ is more or less a 50/50 ratio

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.