And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burf

burf Well-Known Member

By using my eyes, & understanding that football is a team game, which includes 11 players having to play in a coordinated manner, that are being guided by coaches that are supposed to be 'experts' in putting their players in positions to succeed.
    Zach doesn't control other players being penalized in the redzone, does he?
    He also doesn't have leeway to call his own plays in the redzone.

Me, I'd like to see the pocket move in the redzone... something that Zach is very comfortable with, & last week had some success with. Some play-action, a jet-sweep... some creativity using the skillsets players have.
    Zach has legs, let him use them.

He's not comatose anymore, which would be plain to you (et al), if you're interests weren't so vested in his failure.
    I'm a Jets fan, & I want him to succeed as long as he's on the team.
    The difference between last year, & this is stark... even between the Pats game 2 weeks ago, & today.
    Has he changed over these past 2 weeks, or has the playcalling changed to some degree??

Can he be better... obviously, but as of game 5 of this season, he's playing much better.
    If he can take a similar step, between now and the Giants game (2 weeks), this season could get interesting... provided the CS chooses to let him use all his skills.

2. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I’m not saying it’s the only stat. I’m just saying they use it. You’re acting like it’s bullshit. It’s not bullshit.

KingRoach likes this.
  3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

If we had even a semi capable backup we’d be a plus .500 team.
    But we don’t. The FO didn’t bother to get one in the offseason, didn’t bother to retain White, and continues to sit on their hands since the Rodgers injury.

Short of miraculous unlikely development, we are going to have a lot of frustrating Sundays ahead. It’s been hard to watch.
    another wasted season is going to be on that FO.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think you could be right which is why I am trying to savor today's win

REVISion and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I believe so as well, but another dreadful season, with making zero progress, I don't see how its possible the coaching staff, and GM survive, I get they did a complete rebuild, this is year 4, with no progress being made, the issue is, when this team eventually starts to turn the corner, and became a playoff contender, Gardner, Wilson and hall will all be up for a big pay day at the same time, makes it very difficult to maintain success long term.

6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I took a few weeks off from the sight because it was too negative. It's gotten worse.

NCJetsfan, KingRoach and burf like this.
  7. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I will answer your question with a few questions...

Is Zach holding the team back, or is the coaching staff (ie: playcalling, formations, personnel decisions, etc)?

Did Zach play better against the Pats, or against the Chiefs, a week later?
    What changed in that week?
    Did Zach become a different person?
    Did Zach play better against the Pats, or against the Broncos today... two weeks later?
    What changed?
    Is he a different person?

My point is that football is dependent upon so many different things, each & every week.
    One huge aspect is the play-calling.
    We all witnessed a sudden change, last week, when suddenly the offense began to move in the 2nd quarter, against the Chiefs. For me, it was a WTF moment.
    Suddenly, Zach looked like an efficient capable NFL QB.
    That drive to open the 2nd-half was perfect.
    What was different?
    Play-calling for one.
    They fell behind 17 points, & got creative.

Zach hasn't been very good... until last week.
    What changed?
    This week, it wasn't quite as good, but still was much better than 2 weeks ago.
    So, at least to me, while Zach is far from being great, & has lots of work to do to continue improving, he's raised his floor significantly.
    The real question is, has Zach hit his ceiling?
    If so, it'll be bye-bye Zach.
    If not, then it should be an interesting season, especially because the worst stretch of the schedule is almost behind them.

NCJetsfan and JetsKickAss like this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Okay, then just tell us what particular corner it is that he has now traversed - what is he consistently doing competently that he has been unable to do before now? Keep in mind that we are talking about what he is doing differently, not what the other ten guys on the field are doing or what the coaches are doing - there are other threads for those things. Anyone who has been here consistently understands the parameters under which he operates even if we don't understand how he continues to overthrow receivers in the back of the end zone. What you would like to see in the play calling has nothing to do with how Wilson performs.

Your tired repetition of the inane comment that Jets fans would have any interest in being invested in his failure is simply another deflection from the topic at hand - Zach Wilson's individual performance. There is no excuse for not getting the clock stopped before the half ended. If you have a better term for his failure to do so than his comatose, I'd be anxious to hear it.

Jets69, Wahoo and HomeoftheJets like this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I just hope the D and run game is enough to crush the Giants.
    If nothing else, embarrass that sad sack team.

SackRecord99 likes this.
  10. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

37/45 405 yards 3 tds. You know what those stats are from? That’s Mike White’s game against Cincinnati. In 2 plus years Wilson hasn’t played a game even close to that. A non entity like White put up those numbers, and the vaunted second pick in the draft hasn’t even had numbers at half that in any game. Tell you what: if Wilson can have a game, one game, that approaches that performance, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. Until then, I have no belief in him

11. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

WHO is better than Saleh and/or JD if they go ? You want to re-start -- and probably without Aaron Rodgers -- next year ?

This team is CLEARLY better than when Gase was here and when JD came on board. It's not where we want it to be. We probably blew the #2 overall pick with Zach, but other than that, JD has done a DAMN GOOD job of getting talent. The defense is very good -- not elite, no not that -- and the offense has 3-5 really good skill players. The QB and OL are 2 huge craters which other teams also are dealing with.

Let me also say that decades ago, they used to play 6 -- six !!! -- pre-season games. The OL had time to jell. They played those games, most of them. Players were on teams for 5-10 years or more. Today, half the line changes every 2-3 years and the guys play 15 minutes in the pre-season. I remember the days of Randy Rasmussen, Dan Alexander, Joe Fields, Chris Ward, and Marvin Powell. They were there EVERY YEAR I turned on the TV or listened to Marty Glickman/Spencer Ross on the radio. They knew how to play together unlike today's lines because teams cannot keep ALL their OL as it is financially undoable.

Then we bitch that the OL has no cohesion and can't play together:D

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I won't go so far as to say Zach had a "good" game... but he is doing a few things better... especially pre-snap.

Cadences are sharper and he's changing them up per down & distance.
    Looks more in control in the huddle and at getting players set.
    Plays are getting off sharply and on time.

Post snap... his footwork is way better... drop backs were sharp & controlled and he's planting properly before he throws.
    He's getting the ball out quicker and has thankfully stopped throwing behind his receivers.
    He's gotten really good at disguising play action and his handoffs on runs are again... sharp.

And he's reading the field better... going thru his progressions... finally.
    That big 3rd down pick-up pass to Conklin was an audible I believe.

As few yards as he got today... his pass completion % was healthy. We are a running team after all.
    Still... he got off some nice throws. Our 3rd down efficiency is still putrid... partly due to dumb penalties.

Granted... these are foundational things that a starting QB does by rote in the pros... but hey... Wilson is catching up.
    He still has to take care of the ball... two fumbles today. He did make some nice throws when needed and got us in
    positions to close out drives with points.

He still kinda sucks... but he's looking better doing it. ;)

#372 Acad23, Oct 9, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
  13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Where Is the Hackett shit coming from In this game?

I keep seeing people plastering It In this thread without any explanation, other than to have some nonsensical support for, Zach.

I'm not saying he's been good all year, he hasn't, but what are we talking about here with this game?

We sustained drives.. We ran Breece 22 times for 177 yards. We controlled the T.O.P. Over 400yds of total offense.
    There was a good balance between run and pass. We were actually throwing the ball on 1st down Instead of running on 1st down every damn time.
    We had quality drives that either resulted In points or should've resulted In points.

What are we talking about here? I don't get It. People just say shit to say shit sometimes and It baffles me.

How many times did Zach Wilson put the ball on the ground this game?
    Did Hackett throw the flat pass well inside the field of play to cost us points before halftime or was that, Zach?
    How many stupid penalties did we have that cost us on offense this game? Lazard, Becton, Bawden, McGovern. Just stupid penalties that hurt the flow of this game.
    How many times did Zach hold the ball too long?

Stop with the excuses, It's nonsense.

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Irrelevant

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I agree the game plan was not terrible. Hacketts play calling in the red zone and the beginning of the game is where the criticism comes from.

Mental mistakes and penalties should be the criticism in this game.

Zach is getting a lot of shit for that play at the end of the half (probably deservingly so) but I still contend with both starting tackles out you just kick field goal. I was yelling that from my couch. That play had sack written all over it.

The int I did not think the throw was that bad but I hear the talking heads say differently. GW deserves some blame for that.

If people on this site think Zach should have thrown for over 300 yds do not understand the game plan against the worst run defense team in the NFL.

Zach played well besides those two mistakes. You are correct he made those mistakes and has to clean that up.

16. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

After every snap I started counting to two. If Zach gets the ball off before 2 it is almost always a completed pass, if he goes beyond 2 it is way more often than not a terrible play even if a guy is open! It’s pretty incredible how stark the difference is. If they haven’t told him yet he really should be counting in his head and then throwing it away or running.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Man guys. We won on a game that we played ok and a place we don’t do well. We re 2-3, not in last place, and still in the hunt. A loss last night would have been devastating. It wasn’t pretty but it was a win. 400 yards, and that’s progress to a game we needed the offense to win. Kudos to both sides on making adjustments.

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He seems to be an over thinker. That is why he plays better in a hurry up offense.

NCJetsfan, AtlantaJet and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

With the exception of the end of the 1st half and the mismanagement of the clock and the INT he threw I though Zach was OK. He wasn't as good as he was vs the Chiefs. But he made some nice throws. Breece running and the defense led the way to the win. If Zach can continue to be an effective game manager type of QB then the Jets will be in the hunt for a playoff spot. Let Breece and G. Wilson make plays as well as the defense being the backbone of the team and the Jets should be OK.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'd add to this that this entire season I don't think he's had one single "bricked layup" pass where it just randomly goes into the dirt or way over the guys head. Last two years that would happen at least (at least) once or twice a game and it obviously hurt his completion % #s.

In fact yesterday there were even a couple short screen passes, one in particular where despite Zach being under duress the ball was delivered crisply and even impressively on target. Those little things really make a difference in a game where almost every play really matters.

I guess you have to throw the mean disclaimer in there that those little things should basically be taken for granted out of an NFL QB, especially one that was drafted #2 overall, but that aside... give him credit for seemingly being able to overcome that and clean it up. I'm going to assume its mostly attributable to being more comfortable taking NFL snaps at this point.

NCJetsfan, Acad23, Jets79 and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.