And now for something different... Zach appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Oct 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

"as a whole" Joe Douglas has 4 last place finishes though and is sitting in last place so far in year 5

NYJetsO12, Jets69, Ralebird and 2 others like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Strange how we keep wandering away from the subject of on-field success.

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What? I did not watch the video. I have watched that guy before and I am not impressed. He might have said great things about Zach or terrible things I have no idea and don't care.

Acad23 likes this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very well said.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You’re making a lot of excuses for Zach. You keep downplaying his mistakes saying “they’re not the majority of his plays”. So what? They make up enough of them that he’s been crucified by the media and labeled a bust until Sunday night.

Career sub 60% completion percentage.
    Crappy TD/INT ratio.
    Crappy yards per play.

I mean the kids been an objectively bad football player, and yea, I think that press conference was a disaster whether he “blamed everyone else” or not. He’s let this defense down too many times and cost the team a playoff birth easily last season.

I find it interesting that you can both accept that he’s getting better (we can I) but you won’t recognize that the baseline is almost as low as it goes. He’s done more harm than good most is his short career and that makes him a bad football player up to this point.

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

honestly the whole "no" from zach was so overblown. The kid has been drilled in the media for 2 years and said all the right things except 1 time.
    Meanwhile jones got paid 40 mil a year, has been awful. and openly was ignoring his coach on national TV on monday night. he walked right by and ignored him while daboll was trying to talk to him. another time it showed daboll trying to show him the tablet and jones looked away so daboll threw it in frustration, and another time on 3rd and 11 he called a pass and DJ called a run instead and told him "I thought you said don't pass" like thats not how playcalling works and it's a BS answer. he probably didn't want to get lit up again so just called his own play to end the drive.

I mean yeah zach has been bad, nobody is denying it but for all intents and purposes the kid is trying. he was supposed to be able to sit and learn this year behind rodgers and 4 plays into the season he's back starting again and he's doing what he can.

bicketybam likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

that part i get, I was just pointing out how bizarre of a statement that was.
    also a Gm taking over a shit team the 1st 2 years are kinda a wash. it's not until year 3 an you start judging and this is his year 4 as 2020 was his 1st full offseason as GM. he was hired in 2019 after the draft and free agency so it was macs team that JD had no control over. john lynch was 10-22 his 1st 2 seasons (finished last in division 6-10 then finished 3rd in division 4-12). then in his 3rd they went 13-3 and lost the SB. then in his 4th he was 6-10 (due to injuries). he was 29-35 his 1st 4 seasons as a GM. he didn't have a winning record as a GM until 2022 after 5 full offseasons of building his team. JD has had 4 full offseasons and just lost his QB

and lynch is considered one of the top GMs in the NFL and just got extended
    here are some of his draft whiffs

2017 3rd overall solomon thomas (now a backup for us)
    2017 31st overall ruben foster (was released after 1 year and has been out of the NFL since pretty much)
    2018 pettis 44th overall
    2020 14th overall Kinlaw (struggled as a rookie and has been on IR ever since then pretty much)
    2021 3rd overall lance (was a bust at QB and they traded him for a 4th rounder 2 years later, he traded 3 1sts to move up and get him)
    due to the lance trade, they haven't had a 1st in 2022 or 2023

so i mean JD after 3 years is 13-37
    he whiffed on zach yeah
    becton has been a bad case of injuries just like kinlaw but at least becton looked good as a rookie and looks good so far thsi year, kinlaw still hasn't played.
    but he's hit on AVT, breece, sauce, wilson. He traded for rodgers to fix the zach issue. our D is legit top 5. and the oline has been above average after tippman came in the past 2 weeks (3 draft picks and 2 FAs make up the line now all from JD)

actually looking at it. lynch has had a total of 9 1st rounders since becoming the niners GM and has only hit on 2 of them (2019 bosa 2nd overall and 2018 mcglinchy 9th overall)

#187 GasedAndConfused, Oct 4, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Results don’t support their argument.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I will judge his performance end of this season, no more no less.What he was unable to do the first two years is water under the bridge and does not mean two shits moving forward, except to pad your stats. We know painfully well what those two years were like. He is trusted into a starting role this year after every single coach and fan knew he was not ready for prime time and the plan was to develop him fully this year behind a great QB. That went to shit before the 5th play of the season and now, ready or not he will be judged on his performance this year and only this year. The past is meaningless at this point. If he proves he can handle the position, perfect or not more the better. Meantime he did a lot more to win the game against the refs and the SB champions than he did to loose it. So there is that. I wish we would put the same level of criticism on this spotty at best defense that claims to be top five.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't know what systems Tua and Kyler played in college. How different/similar were they to what they were asked to play in the NFL? From what I understand the Cardinals had Kliff Kingsbury who was famous for an Air Raid style offense which is pretty close to what Murray played in and which is why they drafted him. So not a lot of reworking to make him fit. And Tua came from Alabama and a pro-style offense so was he really asked to do much different? Plus - as you and others ceaselessly pointed out, he played much tougher teams and faced defenses that were closer to NFL style and speed than Zach did.

But frankly I don't really watch or pay attention to other teams so I can't say why they might have done better. Sure Fitzgerald was old, but he was still better - by far - than anyone the Jets had. And maybe those coaches didn't drill into Tua and Kyler's head "Don't make a mistake!" "Don't play like you did at BYU (even though that's why we drafted you #2 overall). IDK, there are lots of reason those situations were different and more conducive to a your QB developing. I DO know that the next QB the Jets draft and develop properly will be the first one.

The Jets did the exact opposite of what they told Zach they were going to do when they drafted him. They threw him out there, asked him to rework his game entirely to fit a system and style of play he was unfamiliar with, and told him to carry the team. Sound like a recipe for success to you? More like a blueprint for failure.

Calling this issue "overblown" has no basis in fact, whereas the lack of support is demonstrable...unless you choose to ignore it.

burf and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Calling the issue overblown absolutely has basis in fact given the statements I’ve brought to the table of all of the other teams running a system similar to LaFleur’s with quarterbacks of all different physical traits. Quarterbacks with strong arms, quarterbacks with weak arms, statues, mobile quarterbacks.

We’ve by far gotten the worst results. Maybe it’s just that Jetsonian that we got the absolute worst coach and playcaller of the bunch?

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What I was responding to in the quote was NC saying Zach should have been allowed to sit and learn for two years. If that's the case, you should be fired for taking him 2nd overall.

14. GasedAndConfused

they took lance with the same exact idea. lance was taken 3rd overall. they traded 3 1sts to get him. with the thought he would sit behind jimmy g for 2 years.
    Packers took rodgers in the 1st with the thought he'd sit behind favre for 2 years. they did the same with love behind rodgers.

so fire them as well? Your "definitive" takes are pretty awful with no regard to situations it just makes you look bad and angry and doesn't really add to any discussion

it would be like flying in and saying "any QB who throws 3 INTs in a game should be cut" it just sounds bad. even some of the best QBs have done that

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, 1st round QBs are expected to start immediately or almost immediately, and it's stupid. The NFL didn't used to be that way. It's a brainless cookie cutter way to do things, acting as if every player is identical, has the same strengths, weaknesses, had the same coaching, are playing in the same offenses that they did in college, etc. I disagree.that it should be that way, and that no QB taken in the top 5 should sit more than half a dozen games.

Zach has arm talent that most QBs don't have, has above average athleticism, and the ability to throw the ball on the move, throw from different arm angles, and can create. One doesn't find QBs like that in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Some players are fortunate to have an offense built around them that perfectly fits their strengths and hides their weaknesses. Others play in the same (or a very similar) offense to the one they played in college. Others played at a higher level of competition and saw defenses more akin to what they see in the NFL.

Any time one tries to treat everyone exactly the same in terms of talent development, readiness, ability, etc., one makes mistakes that are avoidable if one simply uses one's brain. So, you would force a rookie QB into the lineup after 7 games whether he was ready or not, and even if it would hurt the team? If so, that is not very bright imo and should cost you your job as GM or HC. Having a hard and fast rule about starting by game 8 is all about instant gratification and impatience, and not about helping the team or developing the QB you just drafted.

#195 NCJetsfan, Oct 4, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
    burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The Lance pick was the stupidest pick in the history of me watching drafts. Not only was it a huge overpay, but there was nothing suggesting he couldn't have easily been had at 12. Its not an example of smart GMing. But those kind of crazy moves can be forgiven if your just one player away from a championship, which the niners were at the time. That kind of move can't easily be forgiven by a GM of a rebuilding team.

Rodgers was the 24th pick, not top 5.
    But stick to your #2 overall should sit for two years logic.

I'm all for rookies being allowed to sit and learn. But drafted in the top 5, the QB should be done sitting and ready for prime time by week 7. Spending the #2 overall pick on a QB that needs to red shirt their first two years would be a fireable offense.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

18. GasedAndConfused

my logic accounts for a whole situation. I don't make definitive statements.

john lynch is widely regarded as one of the top GMs and just got extended. he has had 9 1st round picks and has 2 good picks to show for it (only 1 is still with the team)
    If JD had that bad of a track record with 1st rounders he'd be getting crucified here. people crucify him over becton who had a freak injury and took forever to recover.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Again, he’s probably regarded as a top GM because he built the best team in the league

douglas has built last place teams

If Douglas had Lynch’s track record of success, everyone here would be elated

Ralebird, HomeoftheJets and ouchy like this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

And the guy found a FQB with pick 262. We can only imagine what that would be like.

BrowningNagle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.