Nathaniel Hackett O

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Sep 12, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

3 years? Hackett was an OC for a lot longer than that. He has been fired in Buffalo, Jacksonville, Denver and soon to be NY

Ralebird, REVISion and Cman68 like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

lol what? can you please not make things up. he wasn't the OC in denver so who cares if he was fired as a HC. nobody is saying he's a good HC. bowles was a shitty HC but a good DC. sometimes people have their ceilings.

he was 1st an OC in 2013-2014 with the bills. his QB was EJ emanual (gross) and he still ran a respectable offense with a run game of fred jackson and CJ spiller to cover it up. in 2014 he had kyle orten in his 10th season as QB and he had a career year with hackett as his OC despite still being a bad QB. here is a pretty good article form 2014 about it
    https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bi...nathaniel_hackett_is_taking_too_much_hea.html
    He was fired after that but pretty unfairly

then he went to jax as a QB coach in 2015 and was promoted to OC in 2016. he was there as an OC for 3 seasons 2016-2018
    their offense was bortles and fournette lol even with that he made bortles look competent and in 2017 they had the top rushing attack in the NFL. he dropped bortles attempts by over 100 from 2016 to 2017 while raising his TD% and completion % and the jags went 10-6. the following year things fell apart and he was fired. bortles only lasted 1 more season without hackett in which he was a backup for the rams and threw 2 passes. he then was out of the league at 27 after being a 5 years starter (4 under hackett) since he was a rookie. thats the trash at QB he had to work with.

then he went to GB in 2019 and in the 3 year span there and rodgers in his mid to late 30s had his best years and won 2 MVPs and had a 39-10 record. he wasn't fired from there either. he was offered a HC gig and took it. he got promoted

he's had some shitty QBs but even then bortles was out of the NFL without him, as was emmanual. orten, bortles, and rodgers all had career years under him. the only time he had a good QB he went 39-10 and got a HC gig after 3 seasons.

RochesterJet and SOJAZ like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You’re dealing with a guy that’s trying to teach you about football bro. We all need to shuttup and listen and yield to the experts on this board.

BrowningNagle and AtlantaJet like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

"he's had some shitty QBs..." I feel like you can't use that as an excuse for an offensive coordinator. It is his job to set the QB up to perform well, and he can't, which is probably why Hackett has been fired so much

REVISion likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

yeah silly me for bringing in some facts/history about Hackett. everyone remembers that legendary and prolific buffalo bills offense with EJ Manuel though.

6. GasedAndConfused

want a margarita to go with all that salt?

7. GasedAndConfused

they did perform well above their standard with him. thats kinda the point. rodgers was already a great QB but he had career years with hackett and back to back MVPs
    orten had his best year in his 10 year career with hackett
    bortles was garbage but hackett made him look serviceable. and they had the top rushing offense in the NFL with fat fournette and a bum QB who he made look good. bortles was so bad he was out of the league at 27 and only threw 2 passes in 1 season after he was away form hackett. his career was still better then wilson's to this point
    ej manual was awful as well. he was also out of the NFL 1 year after his rookie contract expired.

you can't get blood from a stone, but every QB hackett has had as an OC performed better then their norm with him. thats just a fact. i'm not saying he's the 2nd coming or anything, i'm just stating facts. every coach has been fired. bellichik was fired from the browns lol and had to take a DC job with us because of parcells liking him.

8. BrowningNagle

ah okay, google works

well if Hackett is so great as you say he is I’m sure this offense will turn it around this season.

Looking forward to those results

9. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

this is a horrible take…some just can’t hack it in the nfl. So for all bust qbs we’ve had, you’re saying their oc lead them to failure? So Jamarcus Russell, Ryan leaf of the worlds just had bad ocs?

10. BrowningNagle

Some QBs just suck but Hackett’s list is long. He hasn’t developed a single one

barfolomew likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jared Goff is a good case study for all of this. He was fucking awful in his first season and looked completely lost. McVay brought him to a SB in two years.

Hopefully Nate the Great can right the ship for our own top 2 pick.

12. BrowningNagle

A little off topic but Detroit is everything I wish our Jets were right now. Very balanced and creative team that plays hard for their coaches

If Saleh/Hackett are finally canned (please please) I would look long and hard at their offensive coordinator as next HC

13. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I've been screaming for more uptempo, or no-huddle for years, with Zach.
    Also, more first-down passes, when an opponents D is clogging the box.
    The playing scared, not to make mistakes thing doesn't work, unless the D is perfect, & creates turnovers.
    Not the Jets D.
    All QBs make mistakes, so let Zach... since the scared approach isn't working... & he's terrified to pass.
    They've basically neutered Zach into the exact opposite of the QB they thought high enough to draft #2.

They went to more uptempo/1st-down passing, finally, on that one drive last week, where they marched down the field.
    I just read an article on jetsxfactor, which says it better than I've done... with film.

For all those who believe in the playing scared, make no mistakes, manage the game, & let the D do the rest, give this article a read. Crazy is doing exactly what an opposing D wants ya to do, & that's what Saleh & Co keep doing.
    Ya can't win playing scaredball.
    Take off the handcuffs. There's nothing to lose.

The article ----> https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/09/29/new-york-jets-are-playing-scared-football-film-analysis/

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying even when LaFleur was here:

"Right now, and since Week 2 of his rookie campaign when he faced Bill Belichick for the first time, Zach Wilson is terrified of making a mistake that can hurt his team. It’s as obvious as anything." - jetsxfactor 2023/09/29

Maybe the kid sucks. Maybe he just can't process things fast enough. But then how come he can do those things sometimes? I believe the answer is rooted in the Jets philosophy of "Defense wins championships", and being risk-averse on offense. In the modern NFL - which didn't just arrive this year but has been established for about two decades now - the rules, and how they're interpreted by the refs, favor offense, and yet the Jets stubbornly believe they can build a defense so impregnable that they can win virtually on that alone, all they need from the offense is a couple of FGs and maybe a TD, so taking ANY risks to score more than that is foolish in their minds.

Well, how's that workin'?

I don't know if when Zach had to become the starter if Saleh told Hackett to get ultra conservative and to do everything possible to not let Zach make any mistakes, or if that's just Hackett's offensive thinking, but I find that hard to believe given he's worked with Rodgers who certainly isn't conservative. No, I think they've put the handcuffs on Zach, and it goes back to his earliest days as a Jet, and it's caused him to try and be something he's not. But the head scratching thing is, why did they draft him then?

The bigger question is: why did they hire LaFleur and allow him to deploy and offense so ill suited to their highly drafted QB? I think after last season they realized their mistake there, having possibly ruined Zach by that point, which is why they brought in Hackett and traded for AR, which was a good, sound plan if they wanted to try and resurrect Zach - if it's possible. But then came The Achilles Tendon Injury and blew that plan to pieces. So what did Saleh and Hackett do? They reverted to the exact formula that screwed Zach up in the first place: stress no mistake football, and stay within the boundaries of the play calling, and don't free lance or gunsling.

At this point, it may be that Zach is so fucked up he can't be fixed - at least not here. But really, they have no better options right now. For ONCE, take the handcuffs off and let him play! If he crashes and burns, so be it. They're not expected to win - or even keep it close - anyway. Let him do what naturally comes easiest for him see what happens. When allowed to do that at BYU he did great. And yes, BYU isn't the NFL. But he has shown spurts of that type of play in the NFL, and he has shown that he can throw into tight coverage at the NFL level, so for love of Pete Rozelle, let him try and play like that!

burf likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Here is my concern: they did take handcuffs off - in Dallas game in the 4th. And Zach imploded. Each pick was worse than the next, and the last one was just abysmal. So, next game he was broken mentally. I initially wanted another back-up for Rodgers and Zach as #3 for a true redshirt freshman year. However, I actually thought Zach had a pretty good preseason and training camp and was ready to be #2. He did well for 1 3/4 games after piss poor OLine killed Rodgers. But when handcuffs were off and he made mistakes, he just went back to old Zach. Namath is right, he just doesn't have it upstairs. Eventually, even if he is doing well for some time, there will be a tough stretch and Zach will fold again.

I agree with you they need to unshackle him and let's hope for the best. But everything needs to go perfect for him to keep it together mentally. That's why at this point I would start Boyle. And yes Boyle sucks, but then why did we keep him on PS and say didn't sign Siemian the minute the Bengals waived him if everyone thinks Boyle is not playable. It's a poor GMing to keep a guy on the team, even in PS, whom you don't trust to play at all. If Zach starts, I think it is a disservice to him. I hope he somehow puts that Bucks game performance, but given the state where he is now, it seem more like Jags performance is what's to expect here. I will be rooting like hell for him, but I just think he is set up for failure right now given his current mental state.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I disagree that they took the handcuffs off him against Dallas, at least not from the start. By the time they did open things up a bit, he was already more focused on avoiding the rush which had hounded him all game. Even so, he didn't throw his first pick until halfway through the 3rd quarter, and of those 3 picks, 1 was a great throw but an even greater play by the Safety, one was likely a miscommunication (the roll out right), and the third one seemed like just a bad decision and throw. Under the circumstances - down 3 scores - not really a an "implosion", nothing more than what most QBs would produce in similar situations.

But the main point is that they need to take the handcuffs off from the first play and keep them off. If he screws up so badly take him out and let him sit and digest what he's done. But trying to get him to be a game manager as they have since he's come here is clearly not working.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hackett Lafleur Gase…the endless list of bad decisions

Blow up the decision makers and Woodyhead>>only answer

Browning wants someone from Detroit to replace Hackett .??? .fyi no one smart enough in management to figure that out

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Handcuffs or not, the problem is that most quarterbacks in this league can engineer scoring drives in garbage time. He just kept throwing picks and dirt balls against Dallas in garbage time.

Jordan Love had the worst half imaginable against the Lions at home. I think they had negative yards with no running game and he was under siege. They came out in the first half and he almost engineered a comeback that would’ve drawn them within a score if not for a nonsense penalty for the guy jumping over the center.

Borat and HomeoftheJets like this.
  19. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

They are afraid what we all know will happen. He can’t play NFL QB.

He has way more to learn. You can’t say take the handcuffs off and expect a player who can’t handle simple concepts to suddenly just survey the entire field and make great decisions.

Just not how being a NFL QB progression works. Brady was a successful game manager early and then evolved into a elite pocket passer.

HomeoftheJets and NYJetsO12 like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

How often do NFL teams go uptempo or no huddle unless it’s a 2-minute drill at the end of the half or game? Teams don’t do it. This isn’t college.

Not to mention the only way to really do that in college or the NFL is to get a quick first down and then you can start rolling. We don’t get two yards on first down let alone a quick first down.