Best QBs Available?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by heartpumpsgreen, Sep 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Ralebird likes this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I would qualify the Bengals as a team people expected to make the playoffs. They went into the season with Jake Browning as their QB#2. But they get a pass for that and kudos for signing two more nobodies now that Burrow is dinged.

If Burrow went down for the season like Rodgers, the Bengals would have NO shot at the playoffs.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

It’s just poor management to not hedge your bet and add another QB somewhere. Whether you think he’ll help or not.

The Jets are also a team that people expected to make the playoffs and had top ten SB odds if I remember correctly so I don’t get your point there? I don’t disagree that they’re probably not a playoff team without Burrow, but that’s besides the point.

If a team gets kicked in the nuts at the position, do you just sigh and say there goes our chances anyway? The Jets have a playoff roster and should do everything they can to try to get there. Going down with the same ship they’ve went down with the last two years is a loser mentality.

When someone goes down at a position (any position) you add another player to the roster. It’s how it works.

4. bicketybam

You don't get my point? Seriously?

The Jets decided to go with Wilson as the backup QB who at the very least has experience playing the position. The Bengals who had better odds of going to the SB than the Jets decided to go with a guy that has never thrown an NFL pass on his life. You see what I'm saying?

5. Jonathan_Vilma

What does that have to do with the Jets adding a backup now that they have to start Wilson?

I understand what you’re saying but it’s a straw man to my point.

Not to mention Browning was a four year starter that ran a pro style offense whereas Wilson was a 1.5 year starter with a big arm that ran a run and shoot. So I mean they obviously trust him to distribute if Burrow were to go down.

The Jets didn’t really have a choice but to keep Wilson for what it’s worth. The owner handcuffed them and they had to pay him on/off the roster.

6. bicketybam

So if the Jets sign some scrub as QB3 we are good. Fair enough.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The 49ers found a way to get rid of their draft bust though from the same draft but the Jets were handcuffed with their draft bust. I don’t get it

8. Jonathan_Vilma

No. If the Jets sign some scrub as QB3, it proves they’re making a concerted effort to win games when Wilson loses the next three and looks like the worst QB in the league for the third straight year.*

IDFjet, Ralebird and BrowningNagle like this.
  9. bicketybam

Easy to do when you find someone like Purdy.

10. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

You will never find a purdy until you admit you drafted a bust and move on from a Lance. Since the Jets refuse to move on from Zach they are refusing to look for a Purdy.

BrooklynJetsFan and IDFjet like this.
  11. bicketybam

WTF are you talking about?

Imagine if your Giants had drafted Purdy instead of paying Danny Dimes 40 mil a year. What a fucking joke that is. That absolutely tragic.

12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand what your disagreeing with.

Any QB in today's NFL if those are the three best games in 20-whatever starts... not good.

13. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Well to add to;
    '21 Titans W 27-24 21/34 297yds 2TD 1INT
    '21 Eagles L 18-33 23/38 226yds 2TD 1INT
    '22 Phins W 40-17 14/21 210yds 0TD 0INT

You could also consider 2 other games as 'highlights'

'21 JAX W 26-21 14/22 (63.64%) 102yds 1TD 0INT | 4Rushes 91yds 1TD

Highest Completion percentage 2021, only career 2 TD game without turning the ball over.

'22 BUF W 20-17 18/25 (72%) 154yds 1TD 0INT 101.1RTG | 5Rushes 24yds 0TD

Highest Career completion record, Highest Career RTG

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I thought I was pretty clear. While acknowledging those are poor stats, I pointed out that his first two years were a shitshow of how NOT to develop a QB. Maybe he's just not good and never will be, but if we're making that judgment on those first two years, it's using unreliable data because of all the other mitigating factors: He should never have been named the starter Game 1, he should've sat behind a good experienced QB for the majority of his first year like Mahomes did; having made the decision to start him, they needed to have a damn good OL in front of him and good weapons, neither of which he had; they should have looked at his strengths (and weaknesses) and adapted their system to them rather than forcing him to play in a contradictory way. On this last point, let me use an analogy: if it were baseball, it was like they drafted a fastball pitcher and then forced him to throw mostly off speed stuff when he'd never really developed a curve or a change up.

This is the first year where he's gotten anywhere near the support he should've had. And even now, the OL still sucks, and the jury's out on the OC after last week. But despite those two issues, he has still looked better than he has in his first two years so maybe there's hope - if he doesn't get hurt.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

The offensive line was fine last year though. And the coordinator from his first two years runs the same system that makes every quarterback that plays in it look good.

We’ll see what Rodgers butler comes up with this week, but the whole lack of support narrative from his first two years is old.

stinkyB likes this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Lance hadn't played enough to be considered a bust yet, and was considered a developing project still worth a 4th.

Zach is a confirmed bust and we'd have to give someone a 4th to take his contract.

JetBlue likes this.
  17. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

He’ll fit right in behind our line

18. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Zach's tape and stats are just plain bad.

The only other back-up QBs out there who would be a clear downgrade are Peterman (Bears) & Lock (Seattle). All the others are either vets who've shown competence/spots of success or they are players with no tape who at least give you the hope that they could be the next Warner/Purdy.

If our offers are going to the Henne's and McSorleys then it seems that JD is happy with Zach as de facto #1 for the rest of the season.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Tick tock…. Season is ticking away and zero action by our FO.

dogg and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.