Best QBs Available?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by heartpumpsgreen, Sep 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Mike White and Josh Johnson sure made it seem easy when they came off the bench....

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

naegle is wrong. MLFs system is way harder on a QB. it puts an emphasis on brains over physical talent. it's why purdy and jimmy g were able to run it and lance and zach aren't. Hacketts O is more QB friendly but to be honest i bet rodgers bailed him out a lot with audibles and zach can't do that

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He's not wrong, we are kinda saying the same thing. It's more "complex" mentally I guess because the QB has to think on their feet but in terms of the throws being required, the LaFleur/Shanahan system makes for easier throws, especially across the middle of the field. Hackett's is more old-school. "Easier" I guess on the brain but potentially more difficult physically as the QB has to throw into tighter windows

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

There's no denying that the great games Mike White had under MLF were far better than anything Wilson did under him. But White still managed to throw interceptions at a higher frequency than Wilson. That's a fact. And when you consider that White has two games in his career with a passer rating over 120 and yet his career passer rating is 75.4, it shows you just how mediocre to bad he was in the others.

So yes, he had a few games where he operated MLF's system very well. And he also had several where he sucked.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And you'll throw out Zach's game against the Titans, the comeback against Pittsburgh away, and leading the offense (not in passing but by running it efficiently) when they ran it down Buffalo's throat last year? If all you ever see is suck, then I guess that's the conclusion you'll always get.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

3 games out of 24

also dont know why he should get credit for handing the ball off well. head scratcher

2.5 games out of 24

Ralebird, REVISion and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  8. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

24 games 55.1 percent completion rate 17 td's 22 interceptions compares very much to Jamarcus Russell and Josh Rosen, so once again all you see is suck. You put in a average college quarterback into this offense and he to will have 2-3 great throws a game while sucking for the rest of the game. He to will have 1 game where he shows promise while sucking the other 23 games. Zach Wilson doesn't just suck he is absolute garbage and probally couldn't be a starting quarterback for Nick Saban yet alone a Nfl team. No Nfl qb will ever be succesful in this league with 55% completion rates and more interceptions than td's it just won't happen. We all wanted to believe the cinderalla story where Aaron Rodgers comes in and teaches Zach but as you see this year he sucks even more. You can go bring in quarterback whisperers but if you got a guy who can't complete a 2 yard pass consistently and makes dumb throws consistently hes a lost project and times to put your resources for someone who is not a lost cause. We will be drafting top 10 this year, best thing we can do cut ties with Zach , draft a qb and have him sit under AR next year, this will be our one and only chance of ever developing a franchise qb.

#488 jets4848, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I didn’t throw them out. I looked at them when I factored in what the best games were.

He still threw two picks against the Steelers including a terrible one in FG range before the half and completed 50% of his passes. Played one good quarter realistically.

Tennessee was a fun game. He played well.

Leading the offense by running efficiently? 5 carries for 24 yards (one 13 yard run so 4/11 outside of that)? What?!

stinkyB and REVISion like this.
  10. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

White's smaller sample size means when he did have one bad game it dragged down his whole rating.

If you take the '21 Bills game away and also took out Zach's similar 4 INT day in week 2 against the pats then their 'average game' for that year would've been;

Wilson 16 of 29 (55%) 177yds 0.75TD 0.58INT
    White 21 of 29 (69%) 234yds 2TD 1INT

Doing the same again in '22 (take the Seattle game from White and the last Pats game from Wilson);

Wilson 15 of 28 (57%) 201yds 0.75TD 0.88INT
    White 23 of 43 (65%) 317yds 1TD 0.67INT

For comparison the last time we had an exciting and working offense in the Fitzmagic year;

Fitz 21 of 35 (61%) 244yds 1.94TD 0.94INT

11. Gremlin

Including them we have the number of games where Zach has passed for over 200 yards with a completion rate of +60%

'21 Titans W 27-24 21/34 297yds 2TD 1INT
    '21 Eagles L 18-33 23/38 226yds 2TD 1INT
    '22 Phins W 40-17 14/21 210yds 0TD 0INT

That's 3 out of 24 games whereas Mike 'average QB' White had 4 such games in 8

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

The stats don’t lie…they match the eye test very closely

Again, I’ll ask it this way…if Zach exactly as is were on another team, would ANYONE here be pounding the table to go get that guy? No fucking way. We’d ALL be saying ah yeah, that dude’s a bust

Seriously…we can all WANT and HOPE he improves, because at least this year, we have no better option (though even that is honestly debatable…I wouldn’t be shocked to see someone like Foles come in off the street and do better)…but the amount of excuses you have to make (OL, OC, drops, system, etc.) and the amount of minutiae you need to find to show improvement (footwork, moving up in the pocket, finally hitting over 50% of the gimme throws, etc.) is mindboggling to me.

It’s just like we want it so bad that we are looking for any little crumb to point to, whereas if you just step back, watch the games, look at the overall stat lines over 25 games, the only conclusion you can really get to is that he’s terrible.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. Gremlin

Looking at the other high pick QB's in their final season with the team that picked them and the current crop of FA's...

[​IMG]

#493 Gremlin, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

We're doing this now?

I'm going to look at tape and find some completions for Wilson. Maybe even a few TD's. I'll be back!

15. Gremlin

We can F around with stats all day but they'll always lack situational context.

The eye test is the best test and Mike White was simply a better QB then him and we can only hope Zach reaches his (albeit limited) level this year.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So tonight I will enjoy watching Mr irrelevant managing the offensive machine called the SF49ers while shaking my head 8 times how we made the move at #2 in the draft to grab that gem ZW ..who leads the NFL in fan base excusitus

17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Omg I so mad

18. eddie sec 126

eddie sec 126 Active Member

Front office fumbled this. Hard to cheer a guy who goes 7/22. Or 1/12 on third guy. I look in a mirror every day. I have no problem.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think you missed my point....

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

SF traded arm and leg for #3 pick that failed. Got lucky at the end of the draft... Sometimes that's what it is: dumb luck. Just look Belicheat with Brady.

NY Jets68 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.