JD's OLines...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 18, 2023.

1. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

If they go this week without inserting Tippman somewhere and leaving Brown out there then they all deserve what’s coming to them.

2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Anyone with eyes and half a brain would want Rodgers over Carr

3. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

So now we re blaming JD and Woody for going after Rodgers? Whether some wanted Rodgers or some prefer other QBs, let’s face it acquiring Rodgers in the off season and leading up to the start of the season gave a lot of excitement to the Jet fans . Whoever says they were not excited about he Jets upcoming season after what AR brought into the camp is BS. Woody and JD brought the excitement. They gambled. A good gamble. And at the moment yeah it’s not looking good. But I can’t fault them for gambling.

dmw, Borat and bicketybam like this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Riight.. And anyone who can understand the concept of looking past the headlines and towards the future would have wanted Carr over the old man. Carr is 2-0, Rodgers is in recovery. Neither would have lasted long behind this OLine but Carr probably would have lasted a bit longer due to his age. Rodgers will be 40 years old and before you bring up Brady, just remember Brady didn't get seriously hurt in his later years. The older you get, the slower you heal. That is the nature of things.

Ralebird likes this.
  5. Cman68

That's exactly why they went after Rodgers. Ticket sales skyrocketed. They wanted headlines, they got headlines. Carr doesn't deliver that. All Rodgers did was bring his drama and rep into camp. They didn't let him take a single snap behind an already suspect OLine which also didn't take a single snap until the last preseason game. Perfect recipe for a trainwreck which happened 4 plays into the sesaon. They went for the splashy signing, they got their headlines, ticket sales skyrocketed and everyone for a minute forgot about the 7 game crash and burn from '22.

Rodgers gave Woody exactly what he wanted. Now people expect Rodgers to come back and play at a high level at age 40. Just more wishful thinking. That deep exhale you might hear is coming from Derek Carr who probably knows he dodged a bullet.

#45 Cman68, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I don’t care if Carr is 2-0, Zach has been 2-0 in two game stretches too. Carr is an avg QB that will keep you in the purgatory of thinking you have a chance when you have none at all. Carr keeps you from attempting to draft a true future QB while keeping you right on the fringe of 7–10 to 10-7 with an occasional one and done playoff appearance. It’s awful. I’d rather suck over and over trying to find a truly great QB than sign shitheads like Carr/Fitz/McCown to lead us to perpetual averageness

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's not that he's done nothing, it's that he's had 4+ years to build a competent OL and he's failed. Yes, he's tried, but trying isn't good enough. I have a saying: "Tried is a 4 letter word". He has to DO. I was willing to give him some slack his first 2 and half years, but these last two years he's had the red flags waving and didn't really rise to the level of urgency that indicated. Thank god Becton has returned to some level of adequacy against all odds, but he's still nowhere near the force he was drafted to be. And waiting for Brown to stroll back into camp right before the start of the season, is inexcusable. Not to mention the draft choices he might've made to improve the line just in the last years alone.

I've been a Douglas supporter all along, and am deeply hesitant to say he should be replaced, but how much longer are we supposed to wait for him to deliver a winning team? And BTW: I don't blame him for Rodgers. It was a good move, and trying to salvage Zach as part of that was also a good idea, because frankly there really wasn't anyone reliably better he could've gotten in. That's not to say maybe there was, but IMO it was the best move at this time. And I'll still say he's miles better than Idzik or Macc. And also say that no GM is perfect. But the continuing failure to have a decent OL is unforgiveable.

Borat, SOJAZ, REVISion and 4 others like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

its a fireable offense...if this team has a losing record this season just can Douglas and his HC nobody.

I would keep Rogers happy by having Hackett stay on . But Aaron should also insist he gets some protection ..I mean he's just looking at another injury with that OL and cheap Woodys MetLife turf.

Find a super coach who can assume GM and HC duties like Bellichek. Douglas cant have a Coach that threatens his job smh so we are screwed with him calling the shots

JohnnyJet likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You know I will like your Posts and NCs except in two areas: Zach and crowning /excusing Joe Douglas

NC makes good points that Douglas has drafted and got us some premier players..great

But its confounding he has hasn't made doubly sure (after 4 damn years ) his OL can protect!!

So my confidence in JD has diminished 20% over each of his 4 years >>>>thats an 80% drop smh

JohnnyJet, Borat, SOJAZ and 1 other person like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's okay, I don't expect you or anyone to agree with everything I post. I don't believe I'm infallible (unlike some here think of themselves). If everyone only liked vanilla, they'd have to throw away the chocolate.

My belief in Zach has transformed from excitement to the distinct possibility that he can't play at a decent NFL level. But for me to get to that last conclusion I want to see how he does with some long overdue support from the CS and the supporting personnel, especially a decent OL. But regardless, he has to step up and deliver at least adequate play now, and improve upon that. If he can't do that, then I agree that it's time to move on.

But the OL problem is inexcusable, and by itself perhaps justification for firing Douglas. The only reason I wouldn't is because he is much better than anyone we've had in years and I don't really want to start all over again.

Borat and JetFanInNE like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that his efforts haven't been good enough. Where he has failed the worst is with the FA signings. One poster said that he always tries to go cheap, but that isn't true, either. Just this past offseason, he tried to sign Orlando Brown and offered him more money than the Bengals gave him, but he felt that the Bengals was a better situation for him. A year or two ago, JD also tried to sign another top notch FA OL, and I think may have offered him more money as well, but that player opted to sign elsewhere. He needs to figure out why those OL are signing elsewhere, what it is that makes them not sign with the Jets, and then take the appropriate measures to correct that if he can. Is it the taxes in the NY/NJ area? Is it the scheme? Is it the CS? Is it the Jets' sorry history?

I totally agree regarding Brown. If you'll recall, I was killing Saleh all TC about that and saying that Becton should have been given the reps at LT not Mitchell and Turner. I think that Becton would be playing better at LT as that is his natural position, He's adjusting to playing at RT, so it's natural that he's going to have some struggles.

I love McDonald's potential, but at this point I definitely think that he should have drafted an OT in the 1st round. He perhaps could have traded down a little and taken Anton Harrison, that at least would have given us better depth at OT. Of course, it's easy for one of us to say that he could have traded down, but we don't know the reality of it all. Perhaps he DID try to trade down and that's why the Jets waited so long to turn in the card for McDonald, but no team wanted to trade up or they didn't want to pay fair value for it. He has to think about getting trade value and cap ramifications as well when he makes moves. Would we be better off on the field if Orlando Brown had signed with us? Undoubtedly, but it would have made the cap season even worse next season. I know that most Jets fans would sign up for cap issues and losing players next year if it meant that they could get to and win a SB this year, but JD probably wouldn't. He's trying to build a team that is sustainable. He's gone more "all in" this season than I ever thought he would. I think perhaps that desire to build sustainability might be getting in the way of winning in the short term.

As you know, I've been one of JD's biggest fans/supporters on this forum, but I have lost a lot of trust/faith in him over the last year or two, due to both his mistakes with hiring Saleh and MLF rather than Daboll, not having a veteran QB, and his failure to fix the OL. He had succeeded in getting Woody to step aside and let him make the decisions, which was huge, but now I have to wonder if Woody hasn't re-entered the picture. JD has added a ton of talent to the team via the draft, trades and FA. The Jets wouldn't even be at this point if it weren't for him, but how long does that negate his other failures? As you said, no GM is perfect, but failing to make the proper decisions involving drafting and developing a rookie QB is huge and failing to fix the OL is almost as big. One hasn't "failed" until one quits trying, so there is a chance that he could fix it for next season, but with no 2nd round pick and cap issues, it's doubltful that he or anyone will be able to fix the OL next season. Even if he is able to trade for a good OL at the trade deadline, what will the cost be (and will that prevent his drafting a topnotch OL prospect next season), and will that player even be able to help us this season? Further, will it be a one-year rental, or will that player be here for another year or two?

I love Rodgers and wanted him over Carr, but in terms of the cap and the draft going forward, there's no doubt that signing Carr would have been better than trading for Rodgers. Woody may have been the driving force on Rodgers, however.

The thing is, if Woody fires JD and Saleh after this season, will any quality GM candidate want the job? Even if so, will that result in total scheme changes which will mean turning over the roster yet again as has happened so many times in Jets' history and will he be able to do anything of importance until Rodgers salary comes off of the cap? Also, would Rodgers stay if Saleh and JD were fired?

#51 NCJetsfan, Sep 20, 2023
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I agree that if he fails to fix the OL that it's a fireable offense. IMO so was his hiring Saleh and MLF and botching the development of Zach.

IMO finding a "super coach who can assume GM and HC duties" is a pipe dream, my friend. There are very few who can handle that and they have to be extremely competent/successful veteran HCs. Who is out there that could do that? You can't hire a rookie HC and expect him to be able to do both.

IMO JD needs to worry less about working well with, supporting the HC and keeping him happy, and worry more about doing what HE thinks is best for the team and being the boss. While I think it's great and desirable when a GM and HC are in lockstep, imo it's rare, and I think that JD may have compromised his drafts and personnel decisions by trying to give the HC whom he wants rather than whom JD wants and thinks is best. At least I hope that is the case. I'd rather blame the HCs for some of the personnel decisions than JD, but the truth may be that JD isn't as good with scouting and personnel as I thought he was. One thing should be clear, however, and that I think our scouting dept has proven that they're a lot better than the fanbase thinks.

There's no way we have of knowing, but I also wonder how much input Rex Hogan has had, and if he has disagreed with JD on personnel moves, especially regarding the OL. If there have been differences between the two and Hogan would have done more to fix the OL, then he might be a good candidate to replace JD if he does get fired. That would help provide some continuity and stability.

#52 NCJetsfan, Sep 20, 2023
    Borat, SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

My confidence in JD has also dropped. Once I realized how he had screwed the pooch with his hiring of Saleh and MLF, and not getting a quality veteran QB so Zach could sit behind him and learn, I lost a ton of confidence in him. His draft last year went a long way towards restoring some of that confidence. Trading for Rodgers has put the team in a real bind however. I love Rodgers and I think he has helped the team in a lot of ways, but between the cap and draft capital we have to give up to get him is going to hamstring the team for the next 2-3 years. The thing is, however, that trading for Rodgers may be solely on Woody. Saleh and JD seemed to really like Carr when he came in.

NYJetsO12, teamgreen and Cman68 like this.
  14. Cman68

Let me get this straight... You'd rather suck for years on end to have a chance at a true FQB rather than compete year in and year out? You do realize THIS franchise has perhaps the worst record in the history of the NFL in drafting and developing QB's but you trust them to finally get it right at some point in the distant future? You cannot be serious. The games will be unwatchable, the stadium will start to draw fewer crowds as time goes on and Woody will just repeat the same mistake again by signing a older, borderline Name QB hoping for another spike in ticket sales. This is the guy that once said: "You can never have enough Tebow". Carr would make the games worth watching instead of watching Zach get his ass kicked every Sunday and then have to listen to Saleh make more excuses and gaslighting to desperately sell a failed QB to the fanbase. Keep in mind this is the organization that went all in on a geriatric QB but failed to upgrade the protection in front of him. These are the people you trust to find a FQB and properly develop him? Cmon man...

Ralebird, SOJAZ and papapump like this.
  15. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

alright there's a lot of back and forth here about the oline...do we have somewhat of a short term solution? mine would be:

LT: becton
    LG: schweitzer
    C: tipman
    RG: mcgovern
    RT: avt

stinkyB likes this.
  16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I read this morning that the OLine is giving up pressure at a rate of 56%.

That's utterly insane.

I'm sorry, but no QB would stand a chance against that. Especially a young and inconsistent one.

I did like how ZW started to use his legs in the 2nd quarter. First read not open, pressure coming, step up and take the yards. For some reason, he stopped doing that.

17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

There is probably a good chance Belichick won't notice that Brown has struggled a little bit against speed rushers and we'll get away with having him out there just fine.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'd like to chime in that Carr rejected our offer and choose the Saints. You cant ding us for not getting him because he was never an option.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  19. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

What amazes me is that JD went into this year thinking that a 38 year old LT with a broken wing would be a good solution at LT. And then you add that Becton has not played in two years you come away saying WTF? I am not GM but I know that signing Rodgers at 39 with declining mobility and no solution for the OL is a real problem. I totally agree with NCjetsfan who said drafting Mcdonald instead of an offensive line was a mistake. I think Revisisland reworked offensive line is the best we can do. If Saleh goes into this week with Brown at Lt I am going to lose it.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

https://x.com/ZackBlatt/status/1704532422396670107?s=20

"Saleh is not considering any offensive line changes"

Ladies and gentlemen, the New York Jets!