Nathaniel Hackett O

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Sep 12, 2023.

1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Without getting into the highs and lows of the airwaves today. The serious conversations have all come back to Hackett and his O. What do we expect going forward and what do we know?

-Was this O designed solely for A rod? How can he mold it to Zach now?
    -How can this O differ for Zach from MLF last year?
    -How much will this O look like the one he had in Denver last year? What do we think he learned from because apparently Russ couldn't grasp it.

From what I remember of the Denver O, it was 3 wide sets and deep developing plays. I think we need to shape this O to clear space, check down and play safe in the most coderivative way in a good way. Josh Allen looked awful last night but his quick zip check downs and short passes is what Zach has to do 99% of the time. The deep developing middle of the field plays are killer.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It will probably be a very frustrating season.
    Defense will play well while the offense will struggle... just like last season.

This is where having an offensive minded head coach is a plus...

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Look at the only two dropbacks Rodgers had last night. They were designed for the ball to be out quickly and if he did so on the second play his achilles would be in tact still. If Wilson gets the ball out quickly this offense will be fine. The bigger thing to me is how Hackett will handle Zach on the sidelines. There's reports from last night about Hackett having a pep talk with Wilson after the INT and from that point on he went 9-12 for 100 yards and a TD. MLF struggled to connect with anyone and I have a hunch that having someone that knows how to reach people on a human level will make a difference.

Throw out everything you saw from Hackett last year. Russ wanted his classic Seattle offense which is a direct clash with a Hackett offense. He was forced to combine the two and it was a trainwreck for a variety of reasons. You don't see many long developing plays behind this OL especially with this QB.

JetFanInPA and mezzavo like this.
  4. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

A part of this as well is knowing your opponent. Take the Dallas game for example. Even with Rodgers, we simply can't have these long developing plays drawn up when you are facing a defense with the likes of Michah Parsons on it. The entire offense needs to be quick hitting. If you have receivers running 20 yards down the field then no matter who you have lined up at center is going to get waxed. Hackett needs to have every quick out, curl, play action and screen pass in his "play calling bag" at the ready on Sunday. There will be no time for any type of "developing" play. I hope Cook continues his adjustment because he and Hall are going to be getting a steady dose.

This game and that D are exactly what are ZW's kryptonite. He's never been able to manage the short game. It's one of the major knocks on him.

Jets81 likes this.
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Zach's biggest problem last year was when he made a mistake he went into a shell or compounded the mistake. He did not do that last night and that is a big step. The next step is is not make that boneheaded throw.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm glad Hackett didn't pull an MLF and call long developing routes while knowing our pass protection was stink.

Get me the Damn Ball and Cman68 like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

That's the difference... there won't be long-developing plays. At least there's no reason for them. I assume Hackett isn't going to implode. If Zach fails it's not going to be because of the playbook or playcalling (I think).

It'll help no doubt but yea... the problem is he gets himself into situations where he needs a pep talk.

mezzavo likes this.
  8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Can turn this into our yearly Fire Hackett thread?

Further right: Great pass offense
    Further up: Great run offense
    [​IMG]

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Mentioned in another thread, please more 21 and 12 personnel.
    The line needs help, the running game needs to be successful, and Wilson needs quick easy reads.
    To keep defenses honest mix in throws to the TEs and RBs out of these sets.

Hackett has to adapt. Him without Rodgers, and a young massively struggling QB to boot, is a very bad scenario.
    And sign an alternative option already to start getting them up to speed.

york61, AtlantaJet and dawinner127 like this.
  10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

11. dawinner127

Make sure Ruckert is the TE2 in that 12 set-- for the love of god. Big agree with everything else

12. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Lets just keep shifting the blame on the offensive coordinators every season, the fact that we have a high school qb you can't scheme anything around or trust without training wheels or a putrid offensive line has nothing to do with it. Mlf seems to be doing fine in La, 2 straight 300 yard games for Stafford, he did fine with Josh Johnson and Mike White. I wonder who the problem really is? Lets just keep firing the offensive coordinators every offseason because its easier than to admit you drafted a bust and move on.

#12 jets4848, Sep 19, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
    SOJAZ likes this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

EPA is expected points added and it refers to how many points a QB should score based on a wide variety of stats like field position at start of drive, with addition factors added in. Its about a valid as a PFF ranking - meaning mostly statistical garbage that doesn't usually translate to the field.

IDFjet likes this.
  14. dawinner127

EPA is a measure of success that gives a value to each play by the effect it has on the offense's likelihood to score. Every play effects your EPA rating, positively or negatively.

Here is this years QB rankings for EPA.

https://www.nfeloapp.com/qb-rankings/

REVISion and IDFjet like this.
  15. dawinner127

They went from 39% usage of 11 Personnel vs the Bills to 75% vs the Cowboys where it was blatantly obvious they needed to do the opposite. That's on the coaching.

16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Thanks, man--I don't know about this stat beyond what anyone watching would know. For example, the raiders have only scored 27 points but net out far better than the vikings who've scored 45. So therefore I guess the Vikings are expected to score way more points? Why? And what exactly is the expectation of the NYJ for scoring with ZW at QB? It should probably be about 6pts /game.

17. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

So there armchair offensive coordinator what would be your gameplan for a Qb that can't consistently complete a 2 yard pass? Is erratic with his throwing, and when the defense stacks the box daring him to throw?

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

based on the 1st 2 weeks i agree. our bets personnel would be rucket and conklin at TE, lazard and wilson at WR and breece in the backfield. more beef on running plays and on passing plays 1 TE can stay in and help the o-line. sometimes you gotta play to your strengths

19. dawinner127

If they want to keep a FB as one of the 53 they need to use him. No reason for bawden to play 2 snaps either

AtlantaJet likes this.
  20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly what this is worth, him being a different person and everything, but does anyone else remember how Hackett's dad went completely into his shell when Chad got hurt in 2003? He was interviewed about having to pivot back to Testaverde and how big of a deal it was. Ironically, he said he thought it was some of his best work as a coordinator but my recollection of it is he was terrible with Testaverde, like he had built his offense for Chad and couldn't make it work with a different kind of QB.

Cman68 likes this.