Gutsy performance by Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 11, 2023.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And I don't understand why you don't just take a look at the video to confirm that both Wilson and Cobb actually did look right at ZW and both gestured for the ball - they were ready, even if you think they shouldn't be and they were both open.

The ball may 100% never be coming to them if the play goes off as designed, but it did not. If you recall, Zach Wilson took an extra five or six seconds to run 28 yards backwards looking for somewhere to dump off the ball to, even if your textbook says that never happens.

#641 Ralebird, Sep 18, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

ColoradoContrails said:
    Well I recall reading somewhere that LaFleur - not Douglas or Saleh - wasn't thrilled with installing Zach as the QB to run his complex system. The conspiracy theorist in me even wonders if MLF's letting Zach play more aggressively early on knowing he'd likely fail and then being able to tell Douglas & Saleh: "See? I told you so"..

3. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

The evidence don't speak for nothing dude, Aaron Rodgers had a 4 snap sample size, Zach Wilson had a 25 game Sample size. Your seriously comparing Aaron Rodgers to Zach Wilson common dude you can't be serious.

4. Ralebird

Just a little more than they are making for riding their couch.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It does speak for the fact that our OLine is terrible and it would be hard for anyone to succeed and not to even get hurt. And it's not just Rodgers. White got folded in half. Flacco looked as bad as everyone else behind that line at the end of the season. As long as the line sucks, most QBs will not succeed here. And that sadly included Rodgers.

Which is why I keep saying that QB is not the main issue right this moment, OLine is. Once the line is stabilized, there will be an environment for a QB to succeed. And I don't even have Zach in mind when I say this. Anyone, whether it is Foles, Wentz, Zach, etc...

6. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Offensive line is shit so what, until White got folded in half he made Zach Wilson look like a 9th grade quarterback with the same offensive line and same offensive coordinator, what don't you Zach supporters understand? The offensive line being shit doesn't diminish the fact that Zach Wilson should not be starting for this team right now.

jjt4201 and SOJAZ like this.
  7. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Again, Daniel Jones was sacked 44 times last season, 5th most in the league of any QB. Did that prevent the Giants from analyzing how good a quarterback he is?

jjt4201 likes this.
  8. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Kirk cousins and Geno smith sacked 46 times last year, Jow Borrow 41 times, these guys don't exactly have great lines either yet they find a way to be competent.

jjt4201 and SOJAZ like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am not a Zach supporter. I support this team and has been for several decades. I was rooting for Mike White last season and was hoping he would become a Kirk Cousins when he got the starting job. However, what has become obvious to me after he kept getting hit and then ultimately got hurt is that Mike is a statue who has no awareness of pressure. This is not good when you have swiss cheese of a line. When he came back from injury and was actually looking at protection and not wanting to get hit, he looked pretty bad too. Flacco looked bad also with this line after White got hurt the second time. Zach at the end of last year was unplayable, worse than PS guys..

Fast forward to this year. I was ecstatic to get Rodgers and was OK to move on from Zach as a back-up too. But the Jets kept him and I thought he looked decent in preseason, much better than before. I did not have an issue with him as a back-up (not starter) based on preseason and training camp reports. I did have an issue with the OLine. Unfortunately my worst fears came true: Oline was shit and got another QB hurt - the main guy the entire offseason was revolving around. Back-up Zach stepped in as a starter, which he is not really a starter, but was forced into this role.

What my point is that I don't think Zach lost us Dallas game or prevented us from winning Buffalo game. He wasn't good, but he wasn't the main problem. The biggest hinderance we have is oline, which is absurdly bad. There also isn't an abundance of starting level QBs available right now to help us. I think we should and will get another veteran. I just don't think he will make much of a difference anyway with the line that bad. We gotta do something to make this work with the oline. JD put us in a pretty bad spot here, and that's where the offensive issues start.

10. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Zach and the pass offense is second worst in the league in completion % and yards.

it’s not good. The Buffalo win jades everything.

while he looks a bit better, it’s not there. Think this spins out badly come Sunday with a loss to pats.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I did look at it. it never happened. you looking at a still with hands up in the way of them expressing frustration after the play was broken. they looked back because they didn't know why the play was still going when it shouldn't have been. WRs take "plays off" and half ass it when they know the ball isn't coming there way. it's a way to stay fresh on live plays for them.

and yes wilson did that, because he made a huge mistake. IDK why it's so hard for you to understand that

12. GasedAndConfused

no i'm comparing duane brown with rodgers and duane brown with zach. the result is the same because brown has been awful. rodgers would have a more sample size if brown wasn't ass. at least zach survived 2 games, rodgers survived 4 snaps so evidence wise and technically, zach has done better behind this o-line. you just don't get the point at all

13. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

So you judge quarterbacks on how well they run for their lives? Not how accurate they are, or how well they play got it, in that case lets go out and get usain bolt surely he can run for his life better than Zach, and think of the pr stunt the Woodys can pull, reason to raise prices atleast 20%

jjt4201 likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

the most important ability in the NFL is availability. rodgers died behind out o-line in 4 plays. zach survived 2 games of punishment. that means 100% zach has done better then rodgers behind this o-line. It doesn't mean he's a better player, it doesn't mean he's good, it means a 38 year old rodgers can't hold up behind this line therefore it's factual zach has done better 2 games into the season. it's not even a debate or argument.

15. Ralebird

Really? You're still at it? Now you're telling me what I saw on the video wasn't real, it was a still? You're telling me two receivers had their hands up when the hands were only waist high. You're telling me that while ZWilson was still within ten yards of the line of scrimmage and was still facing downfield he wasn't looking to make a play? You're looking at something else! You say receivers shouldn't be looking to bail out a busted play when yesterday you said it was their job. You're telling me that Cobb and GWilson weren't looking to make a play either, they were simply curious about why the play had another six seconds to run because your textbook said it should be over.

I don't need to agree with you or your training guide. I'll be happy to take what you call a "huge mistake" that ended up having no consequences, but I'd prefer the improv to end up positive as it well could have. Okay - you win; a week is way too much time for this.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In the most recent game, Zach's passer rating was lower than you'd get by spiking the ball on every play. So amazingly there is a debate as to whether he's done better than a non-entity.

SOJAZ, Nyjets4eva and Snatch Catch like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

i make it more simple. I'm telling you that you don't understand football enough to be in this conversation clearly. so you are getting yourself in a tissy because you can't comprehend football 101

18. GasedAndConfused

which is still more then not playing. nobody said zach is good. i'm saying rodgers can't even survive 1 drive behind the o-line at least zach did that.

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Not really sure what thread to put this one in, but since it is the most recent wilson thread and looks like it may just be the main one I'll stick it here:

Updated QB efficiency and grading through Week 2, including MNF --

[​IMG]

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

All the stats and all the charts and also the eye test all show that Zach sucks. Yet there are still conversations on here about how it’s not his fault, or he’s showing some kind of progress, or whatever other mental gymnastics you have to do to justify his play.

It’s mystifying…he sucks. Everyone can see it. Just watch the games. Can guarantee fans of other teams aren’t banging their message boards saying hey let’s trade for Zach…if we just get him out of that team with the shit OC and shit OL he’d be great! That’s not happening. His own coaches see it…they didn’t want to play him, and when they have to, they really don’t let him loose. They know.

Sure, he can make a great throw every now and then because he’s athletic and he has a good arm…shoot, he wouldn’t be in the NFL if he wasn’t. Yet as we all know, there is SO much more to being a good QB. And he has none of that. Shit, Stroud, in his SECOND game on a bad Houston team, already had a much better game than Zach has had in 24 tries. Bill Walsh said you know about a player about 20 games in. So we all know. He’s terrible. He’s been consistently terrible through 25 games with different receivers and different OL’s and different OC’s…

However…until JD decides to go sign someone else he’s all we got so we have to try and make it work with him. We have to hope that Hackett can treat him like a raw rookie and baby him to some halfway decent games and get us some wins.

Just sucks that this is where we are, but it is.

We have no QB, and it’s super hard to win in this league when your QB is consistently the worst rated player at his position. It is what it is…

SOJAZ, Pepsiguy5 and HomeoftheJets like this.