Best QBs Available?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by heartpumpsgreen, Sep 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

JD should've signed Minshew in the offseason. Guy is wilting away in Indy as a backup. Meanwhile he's young, somewhat mobile, has proven he can win games in this league and plays with a confidence and fire that Wilson just doesn't have.

If not Minshew then go for Foles or Wentz, both proven and been there done that.

A zebra never changes it stripes. Zach will be what Zach has always been. Highly erratic, up and down, a few flashes of good surrounded by mostly frustrating, indecisive, overly conservative play that does very little to keep opposing defenses honest.

The Jets need a seasoned proven vet QB if they want to get the most out of this season and talented roster. Otherwise it will be yet again another failed opportunity of what could've been.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The bolded was exactly my point in writing what I did. The Jets went through a comparable situation last year and I have never wanted to think the most capable guy is on the bench because some are afraid of competition within the team. Even when these guys first put on a helmet in high school or earlier they knew that the best guys play and if they wanted the slot they had to be better at it than all the others.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

A few things.

I don't see how the Jets would ever trade for Kyler Murray. Last I checked we have Aaron Rodgers and his contract. What would we do with Rodgers next season? Or Murray? It's just not happening.

As far as replacing Wilson at the bye, the Jets would have to be 1-5 or 2-4 for that to happen. Name the QB that would need to bring in now that would lead the Jets on a 9-2 or 8-3 record from that point on? Minshew? Foles? Wentz? Chad Henne? I'm sorry but I'm just not seeing it. Maybe Cousins but I really don't want to give up assers for the rental of a pipe dream.

I'm all for the Jets signing someone to play QB2. I'm not sure how much that person could compete for the starting position since it would take them a few weeks to get ready and then they'd have to impress in practice and have Wilson shit the bed. If Wilson is playing adequately and the Jets are winning, there is no way there will be any competition.

The talk of trading for Murray or Cousins is truly wishful thinking. Let's just get someone in that would keep Boyle on the PS.

ColoradoContrails, ouchy and Borat like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Zach just turned 24 years old. That's younger than some rookies, including our first round pick this year and even some QBs taken this year, like a Hooker from Oklahoma. I don't think zebra comparison is fair for a young guy like that. He has shown improvement in preseason and in the first game, where his passer rating was over 80. Now, I know this is nothing to write home about, but he was a back-up and he came in an extraordinary circumstance and did his job. It's not out of real of a possibility to see a 24 year old kid improve to the point where he is not a bottom 3d QB in the League. I am not even saying that he definitely will improve, but I do think it is possible, and we need to give him a couple of games as a starter to find out.

Now, as far as Foles and Wentz, this is a very interesting question. Both of them suck too and are not much of an upgrade if any at all from Zach that we saw on Monday. In fact both of them played last year and posted lower passer rating than Zach did on Monday. We could bring guys like that to be a back-up to Zach. The question is do we need a back-up to Zach or a guy who can actually take over Zach with Zach being a back-up. Right now we cannot answer this question, which is why I suspect no one has been signed yet. It will all depend on how Zach performs. If Zach implodes, then I see JD having to spend more assets to get someone better than Wentz/Foles. This is too good of a team to waste a year like that. But if Zach plays above bottom 3d, which is what I am hoping to see, I envision the Jets getting the lower level guys like you described to be ahead of Boyle.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Ralebird

In fact, so did Zach.

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah - hence some optimism for possible improvement this year for the 24 year old.

Skicats likes this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

None of the options on this thread are doable. Cousins and Murry are way over our cap limit, and no team is going to deal their backup QB during the season. IMO the only one that makes sense is Colt McCoy. Last I heard he was a FA. Why no word on contacting him yet?

bicketybam likes this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Cousins is not over the CAP. He is actually pretty cheap to the trading team, since a lot of his salary was already paid via bonuses by Minny. The question is: will he even want to be traded for a 1 year rental. The Jets are all in on Rodgers, and Rodgers is a projected starter for 2024. Heck, he is not even ruling out a possibility of coming back this year, which I don't think will happen, but at the very least it tells you he is the QB1 for 2024. I would imagine if Kirk were to be traded, he will have a say to where he goes. And if so, he will insist on the extension at the time of the trade. At 35 years old, which is not that old now for a QB, and playing the way he does now, he can still get a massive contract.

Jets, as I explained, cannot offer him that extension. Hence I think Cousins is a pipe dream given where we are now even though he would definitely be a great option if Zach sucks. So, if Zach does suck, I think we will be looking to trade for someone who is #2, but might become available, but not a Pro Bowl level QB, maybe a Brissett level player or someone of that sort. Pickings are slim at this point I am afraid, and if a guy like Cousins becomes available, teams will jump to get him for longer term, and Jets is not one of these teams with Rodgers there.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Cousins would cost 10 million this year, and we only have 9.5. I guess we could cut Boyle? But Minn still owes him nearly 49 million, which would be a 30 million dead cap to trade him. To trade their starting QB and absorb a 30 million dead cap hit they'd want a fortune - like more than just a 1st. No contender is going to jump at that for a partial season rental. Not to mention Cousins has a full no trade clause and he'd never consider coming to the Jets to play behind our QB killer o-line. Cousins is comfortable where he is. Its a pipe dream.

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He's probably walking at the end of the year.

Bart Scott had an interesting proposal. Trade your 2024 1st (we know it isn't going to GB so you would have to add a stipulation) and you get back Cousins and their 2024 2nd. That would probably give them enough ammo to get up and get one of the QBs in the draft. You would be picking at around 38-42 rather than 22-28.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Their going to trade their starting QB and 30 million dollars to upgrade a 2nd to a 1st? Pipe dreams.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The only reason Cousins is being looked at favorably is because the pickings are so slim. He sucks. Plus after what he did to the Jets, using them to drive up his price to Minny, I'd NEVER give him a job. I'd have him at the bottom of the list...or not even on it.

sozopol and Jets79 like this.
  13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They are going to get some crap comp pick for him. Getting up into the first round and being in the top 8 (if you tank the season) lets them get more ammo for Caleb Williams or the kid from UNC.

14. Ralebird

Or the two older guys.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I just don't see it unless Zach actually does well and their types come as back ups. If Zach sucks, I see JD trying to get someone better than these two.

16. Ralebird

I just don't get the point of noting that Wentz and Foles didn't do as well last year as Wilson did Monday when Wilson also didn't do as well last year as he did on Monday. Wilson also had more opportunities to raise his grades last year than either of the other two. Certainly you're not hanging your hat on a single outing, are you?

17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

ARGUMENTATIVE!

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He's God compared to what the Jets have put out there at QB.

19. Ralebird

OFF TOPIC! If you have nothing to add to the discussion why strive to be a pain in the ass?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You don't get the point of me noting that these two guys are not that good? OK, let me try another way. Zach is young and is already here on the team. He did better in preseason than last year, he did better in that one game than last year. It makes sense to see more from the young guy you already have and showed some improvement than to bring in older guys who also sucked last year, but are not currently on the team and don't know the offense and require major time and effort investment.

That's not hanging a hat on a single outing, that is the opposite: I want to see more outings to make an assessment. And if that assessment is negative, my preference is to spend assets and bring in a guy who is better than the two guys who also sucked last year and invest in him and teach him the offense. If however, the assessment will be positive, then I do not want to spend any assets. Then I am willing to take chance on likes of these two to be better than Boyle as back-ups. Hope that clarifies.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.