Gutsy performance by Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 11, 2023.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

it was second down. he could have easily thrown a TD on the next play.

this is a terrible argument.

2. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Do you base this assumption on the SIX touchdowns he threw in the ENTIRE 2022 Season?

Terrible Argument? Pot -> Kettle -> Black.

3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

my point is that the what if game is dumb. he threw a TD, pretending like he didnt and acting like his stat line would have been the same without that play makes no sense.

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  4. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

when you watch that back. you can see that Zach has two options that he can pass to but as soon as he feels the pressure he just runs.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You'd rather him throw while backpedaling? We've seen that movie before. The scramble was abysmal but that throw to Wilson would have been a mess. The play was a screen to Carter and Milano blew it up... it's fun to bash Zach but this isn't one of those times. At least when talking about where he could have thrown it.

cval likes this.
  6. HackettSuxTNG

And merely assuming he will throw a touchdown pass on the next play makes perfect sense?

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right. Raw stats and numbers don't prove anything. Take a look at Joe Namath's stats without knowing they're from Namath and you'd say "Journeyman. Mediocre". Stats need context. In Monday's game Zach was brought into the game and asked to run the team after having nor practiced with the 1s all week, without a game plan geared to him, and no doubt in as much shock as anyone else, and enabled the Jets to beat one of the best teams - and toughest defenses - in football. Meanwhile, the guy on the other team threw 3 INTs and had a game ending fumble, and yet no one here says he sucked.

In that context it was a damn good performance, especially for a guy you and a number of others claim shouldn't even be a backup.

None of this is to say that Zach has proven that he can be a successful starter or FQB, but there is no evidence rooted in context that proves he can't yet be. Assuming he stays healthy - no guarantee with this OL - this season should answer that question once and for all.

At this point, while I continue to remain hopeful that he'll take that next step (and more), I admit that his performances so far have been less than inspiring. I too want to see him get that 400 yard 3-4 TD game, and consistently turn in 300 yard/2+ TD games. If at some point during this season he can't produce that level of play, I'll admit that he's just backup/journeyman material.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

To be fair, it makes equally as much sense as taking that touchdown away from him to fit a narrative.

9. HackettSuxTNG

Which means either both assertations are valid, or both are invalid. Take your choice, either is fine with me.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Can Wilson become 2010 Mark Sanchez? If so, we'll at least be competitive. It's time to get back to ground and pound, and win low scoring games. As long as he can keep turnovers down & not give the other team free points off of turnovers, our defense can keep us in any game.

Acad23 likes this.
  11. HackettSuxTNG

I am not debating that point. Zach Wilson played well enough for the Jets to win that game. That is irrefutable because they won the game.

There is no PROOF that he can't be, but there is an elephant's bathtub load of EVIDENCE that supports that he can't be. Let's start with these rather juicy nuggets.

Zach Wilson is the only QB in NFL History to play two consecutive full seasons and have the lowest QB Rating in both of them

Zach Wilson has the fewest career touchdown passes (13) of any active NFL QB through 20 career starts

Zach Wilson has never thrown for more than two touchdown passes in a game.

Zach Wilson has the second-lowest completion percentage (55.6%) among any active NFL QB through 20 career starts

In the context of twenty NFL Games, a significant cross-section for evaluation of a new talent, Zech Wilson has performed with record levels of futility. This is more than sufficient evidence (not proof) to doubt his ability to be a starting quarterback.

Here's the bottom line: Zach Wilson is getting another chance to win the starting QB job through no merit of his own. The organization simply has few viable alternatives. But this should be his last chance. There are no more excuses for his poor performance. This Jets team has more than enough offensive firepower surrounding him for a fair evaluation of his talent. And as bad as the OL is, part of his evaluation should be how well he handles pressure, because that line isn't getting fixed during the season.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

My god, we need to play another game QUICK.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Most of the evidence for Zach at this point indicates that he's not a starter-level QB in this league. You're correct that context for certain situations should be taken into consideration but generally speaking context over a larger sample size is and should be ignored. That's why I gave him credit for Monday night. I didn't think he played well but he made the necessary throws for us to get a win and as you pointed out there was a lot of context we can point to as a defense for him not playing well.

However, the bottom line is this, 14-21 for 140 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT is not going to cut it going forward. That is a statistically bad game by any metric. Would anyone be thrilled if Zach plays all 17 games and his season-long stat line is 238/357 for 2,380 yards and a TD/INT ratio of 17/17? Absolutely not, that's bottom of the league bad. He won't get to that stat line because he'll be replaced long before that happens and no context will be able to save him or justify that performance.

All that being said, you're also correct in that the story for Zach Wilson as the Jets starting QB is not over. He has another opportunity to prove to everyone that he is the anomaly. There are some things I can point to from Monday night that could potentially show growth from his first 2 years but as has been the case with Zach for his entire career thus far, we HAVE to see some progress and consistency going forward. Otherwise, we've seen how this movie plays out, and it doesn't turn out well for anyone involved.

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Yeah, that was kinda my point. Neither one is valid and because neither are valid, they are equal in terms of their validity.

The "What If" game is pointless and accomplishes nothing.

15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If someone posted that Zach Wilson's passer rating would have been 101.3 if he didn't throw the interception, they would have been roasted alive and deservedly so. Taking away the TD and posting his passer rating is doing the exact same thing.

16. BroadwayAaron

Thank you for pointing this out, but to me it points to the bigger issue. The metric itself. Maybe we should stop giving a shit about passer rating if an INT or a TD swings it from good to bad or bad to good. All of these "ratings" are such shit. Jermaine Johnson was one of the lowest graded defenders per PFF. These numbers aren't meant to be the be all end all. They are combination of numbers with 0 context.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]At this point, while I continue to remain hopeful that he'll take that next step (and more), I admit that his performances so far have been less than inspiring. I too want to see him get that 400 yard 3-4 TD game, and consistently turn in 300 yard/2+ TD games. If at some point during this season he can't produce that level of play, I'll admit that he's just backup/journeyman material.[/QUOTE]

If he is throwing for 300 yds a game weekly our game plan has completely failed. I would like to see the ability to do that if we are behind but this team is built on running the ball and good defense.

ColoradoContrails and Lon Chaney like this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

At the end of the day this is year 3 for Zach. He has to take a big leap this season. There are no more excuses. Let us also keep expectations in check. Showing growth does not mean he will be Aaron Rodgers this season, it is that we see that he can get to that level.

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am thinking a passer Rating in the 90's 20+ TDS 15 or fewer picks. 3,000 plus yards.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Have you watched him over the last two years?