Gutsy performance by Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 11, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Really? If he doesn't throw it - no matter how badly you think it was thrown - there was ZERO chance of GW making the catch and scoring a TD. Garrett can't throw the ball to himself. I'm not saying Zach was the main ingredient in that play, but he was sure a part of it.

burf likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'll be very surprised if they bring in anyone who might replace Zach. They've made it clear they're committed to him, much to the anger and dismay of some fans, but bringing in someone that might well create a QB controversy isn't going to help. Yes, they do need to find a capable #2 now and I don't know who that is, but I'm sure they'll find someone.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Of course Wilson's the best chance today, simply because Tim Boyle isn't; the bar is not set high. I, for one, never saw this as a Super Bowl season but was looking forward to maybe a couple of playoff games. Since you used Wentz as an example let's decide who can lead the Jets to more wins this season, Wilson or Wentz? That's really the only question that matters, not why Douglas chose to set the table the way he did - besides, we talked about that the whole summer. And got nowhere.

westiedog1 and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  4. Ralebird

Well, what's more important - avoiding a quarterback controversy or winning football games?

SOJAZ likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Rooting for a team means never putting any one member of that team above the goals of the team itself. There is nothing at all delusional or biased about that. Can you name even one of those people "actively rooting for (Wilson) to fall on his face"?

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well... if you were "looking forward to maybe a couple of playoff games" which was my exact feelings as well btw your legit in the Super Bowl hunt when your in that territory.

And theoretically if Wentz had come in here in March and had all summer to get up to speed I don't even think it would be arguable that he'd be more likely to lead the Jets to more wins this season. I get that would have been more money, more sunk costs, more age etc. I think the Jets probably made the right call....it just has spectacularly not worked out. Aaron Rodgers has been pretty much an ironman his whole career. I don't even blame that on the offensive line particularly. That wasn't a big hit or anything he shouldn't have expected to see multiple times during the season. Lightning just struck us right in the forehead. What are you gonna do.

Hope Zach "gets it" fast. Thats what we're gonna do :)

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Zach didn't WIN the game. Zach didn't LOSE the game either. The Defense WON the game. Zach did a credible job as a placeholder although we did see flashes of '22 ZW.

8. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Fix the line first.
    It's still a disaster.

SOJAZ and ouchy like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he played better then pro bowl QBs like burrow an daniel jones and better then the 250mil guaranteed contract serial rapist so i mean it could be worse

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Dude he doesn’t get kudos for making a bad throw that his receiver bailed him out on just simply because he threw a pass on a passing play. It’s a ridiculous premise and makes your defend Wilson at all costs motive look ridiculous.

SOJAZ, HomeoftheJets and Nyjets4eva like this.
  11. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Man this board can’t enjoy a win? Lol

As far as ZW, whether we like him or not, he’s the QB for the NYJ. And it’s clear we need a 3rd QB whether it’s Wentz, or some sparingly used QB. ZW doesn’t have to be a top echelon QB. Let’s face it, I think we re gonna have to win some not so pretty games. And like it or not ZW is our QB. Folks have to get over that until he gives us plenty of wins or another QB comes along to take over, he s the best QB we have now.

#151 MDJets, Sep 12, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  12. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

He doesn’t see it that way and ZW is now better than Mark Sanchez but hasn’t shown any sign of being an avg NFL QB. At this point he doesn’t even look like he can play in the CFL.

13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I saw a couple of things I liked. He had a nice pass to Lazard, and I thought he did a good job on a couple of those screen passes.

However, we saw a ton of the same old Zach. He had a horrible interception. He ran 20-30 yards backwards multiple times. He tried to channel his inner Rodgers on the TD throw to Wilson, and got bailed out because it was an awful throw.

The game is still just a bit too fast for him, he doesn't stay even remotely calm in the pocket. I think talent wise, he's got something there. If he can't process the game, talent doesn't mean anything.

The issue is, the defense isn't going to get four takeaways every game. He's going to need to start leading 2, 3, 4 touchdown drives per game. I don't know if he's capable of that.

mrjet80, SOJAZ, KY Jets Fan and 3 others like this.
  14. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

This is an almost 100% spot on analysis as far as I what I've seen.

Lets hope for 2 touchdown drives next week and just 1 where we can really say Zach "led it" In his entire 2 years so far there have only been a very scant handful of such drives total.... let alone per game. Lets just hope we see one such this coming week and then take it from there.

mrjet80 and westiedog1 like this.
  15. Hectorfor3

Hectorfor3 Active Member

I don't see them putting anyone in there but Zach at this point and I'm not sure they should try to replace him. He needs to clean up those terrible picks but with our D and very strong running game we can still win, heck we used that formula in the Rex years.

The Jets had no business coming back in that game down to the division favorites after what happened with Rodgers but they did. Maybe this team is more special than we think and isn't going to let this derail a promising season. We won't know for a while but I'm sure as hell not getting off the train now. They deserve the fan support after what they showed us last night. This team has lots of talent and if Zach shows some more growth the playoffs should not be unrealistic. Anybody who starts talking draft already should probably rethink that for now.

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

For me, with all the hype of Zach and Rodgers bonding, I didn't see anything different last night from the 2022 version of Wilson. And the 2022 version is what prompted management to go out and get Rodgers. That said, because the FO did not anticipate the possibility of a 39 year old Rodgers having a season ending injury, they stood pat on QB backups. I'm not sure bringing in a QB to take over will do any good at this point. Therefore, I'm prepared for another season of Zach and hope the light goes on

17. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

Half of his yardage was to running backs who made plays kid was still lost and stinks but hey long as the defense shuts out every offense and we get at least 1 punt return for a touchdown and he don’t throw a pick 6 we will go 17-0 and we can praise him every week! Let’s lock this winner up long term now before he demands Mahomes type money!

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. burf

burf Well-Known Member

The thing so many ignore, that TD pass was a called run, with a pass option.
    Zach made the correct read, & threw the pass.
    I doubt he'd have made the same read in the past.
    And, I just heard GW say that Zach had no practice reps last week.
    As much as I'd like to have seen a few longer passes, Hackett & the whole team had to be in shock, after AR's injury. Hackett did the right thing keeping it simple, under the circumstances.

Even though it's a short week, Zach will be getting all the reps, & now we'll see if Hackett has the flexibility to devise some plays to keep the D honest.
    Zach was thrust into a terrible, high pressure situation, & generally kept his cool, after being destroyed last season. And he played good enough to win, with the help from the rest of the team, & the CS.

A reminder... this is not last season.
    After AR's injury, who thought they'd win?
    They did, & now we'll see if Zach can turn baby steps, into big-boy steps...

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The only positive from Zach's performance last night is I think last year's version of Zach just fully folds/collapses/etc. after that pick directly to the LB.

Maybe he is mentally stronger this year and if so, it's possible he's capable of being a game manager. I'm not willing to go out on a limb and predict that because, as you and many others have said in this thread, there was still a lot of rookie/2nd year Zach moments last night.

All we've got left for this year is hope. Let's hope Zach takes a baby step forward because maybe the playoffs might still be on the table if that's the case.

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Brought his up in the Hackett thread but:

Mike Garafolo
    Zach Wilson threw an interception last night. Nathaniel Hackett calmly told him to let it go and move on. After that, Wilson went 9-for-13 for 99 yards and a TD. A good sign for the #Jets’ starting QB moving forward.

Maybe having someone who knows how to interact with other humans... a skill MLF lacked... will help Zach out.