Tuesday August 29 Cutdown Day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CaptainCap, Aug 27, 2023.

1. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

Just a few days away who do you think will stay or go.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Bam walks the plank.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Lots to think about at TE

Leicester Jet likes this.
  5. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

Think they keep 3 QB's???

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Gipson and Brownlee both make it
    kuntz gets to the PS
    Bam is gone
    Boyle to PS

Nyjets4eva, IDFjet, SOJAZ and 4 others like this.
  7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This guy can not get cut at this point.

I agree with @dawinner127 although I can definitely see Brownlee getting cut. He most likely makes it through waivers and ends up on the practice squad. I think it depends on the health of Lazard and Hardman

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Gipson has earned a spot on the roster between last nights performance as a receiver and his special teams ability. Gonna be tough to cut Brownlee though, he won’t make it back to the PS.

Kuntz is another guy that is going to be fascinating to watch. I don’t think he makes it back to the PS but I can’t see us carrying 4 TE

Boyle will absolutely make it back to the PS

Bam… sorry bud. Just don’t sign with Miami or New England.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

Agreed, Gipson looked awesome last night. Give him a spot

BacktoQueens and Acad23 like this.
  10. dawinner127

The entire not giving Ruckert the opportunity to play HB and do what Bawden does is going to drive me nuts all season, but is what it is at this point. That would make some of these decisions way easier

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and Lon Chaney like this.
  11. Lon Chaney

I disagree about Brownlee. I think he makes it through to the PS. I wouldn't mind if they kept him on the 53, it's gonna be interesting to watch.

2 QBs
    5 RBs - including FB
    6 WRs
    3 TEs
    9 OL
    10 DL
    5 LBs
    6 CBs
    4 S
    3 Spec

BacktoQueens and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Lon Chaney

Agree 100. I guess Hackett and AR are most comfortable with Bawden

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think they keep 5 RBs. I think they keep 4 TEs, maybe 5. Who are the 6 CBs? Sauce, Reed, Hardee, Echols? and who else? I think Moreland deserves it over Hall. Hall has shown nothing for the last 2 years and looked awful last night against 3rd and 4th stringers, (maybe 2nd). I don't think he should make the team.

I agree about 5 LBs - Mosely, Q. Williams, J. Sherwood, Zaire Barnes, and Chazz Surratt?

Lon Chaney likes this.
  14. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Alex Erickson is interesting to me. He's a good slot guy but I feel like we have enough of those and need more of a deep threat at WR.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Too much made about cut down day. The players they like for the future land on a practice squad anyway unless another team likes them.

16. Lon Chaney

The 5 RB includes Bawden.

6 DBs - Sauce, Reed, Carter, Hardee, Hall and Echols although he is SUSP so maybe Moreland makes the first cut or they go with 5 safeties to start.

I said it earlier, if they keep 4 TEs then expect only 4 WRs. I'm good either way.

17. BrowningNagle

that is really thin though because Hardee doesnt actually play corner.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Here's my stab at the 53-man roster.

Offense (25)
    QB (2) - Rodgers and Wilson
    RB (4) - Hall, Cook, Carter, Abanikanda
    WR (6) - Wilson, Lazard, Cobb, Hardman, Gipson, Brownlee
    TE (4) - Conklin, Uzomah, Ruckert, Yeboah
    OL (9) - Brown, Tomlinson, McGovern, AVT, Becton, Tippman, Schweitzer, Mitchell, Turner

Defense (25)
    DE (6) - Lawson, JFM, JJ, McDonald, Clemons, Huff
    DT (4) - Q, Jefferson, Woods, Thomas
    LB (5) - Mosely, Q. Williams, Sherwood, Barnes, Surratt
    CB (6) - Gardner, Reed, Carter, Echols, Hardee, Moreland,
    S (5) - Adams, Whitehead, Amos, Davis, Dean*

STs (3)
    LS - Hennessy
    K - Zuerline
    P - Morstead

IR - (2) Carter Warren and Bernard-Converse* (Since Carter is injured and hasn't practiced recently, I think the Jets put him on short-term IR and see how Turner does. If Turner hasn't shown any improvement, they might cut Turner and replace him with Warren, or they could put Warren on IR for the remainder of the season since this was supposed to be a redshirt year for him anyway, and just allow him to spend the season getting healthy and getting stronger. The only other thing that they could do that would make sense to me, would be to cut Brownlee and try to get him onto the PS, and keep Warren on the roster.

* Since Echols is suspended for week 1, he won't be on the official roster week 1, so they can keep Dean, Davis and Bernard-Converse on the roster week 1. At the end of that week, they will have to make a move to clear a spot for Echols.

I'm most curious to see what they do with Jarrick Bernard-Converse. He was injured all of TC, and they must have just activated him, if he was practicing last week. That means he can't go on the PUP Reserve list. So, their only options are to just cut him and try to put him on the PS, place him on IR, or keep him on the roster. I think they like him a lot, and think he could possibly save a roster spot in the future since he can play both CB and S. For now, I think they keep him, although they probably could try to sneak him onto the PS since he has never practiced with the team or they could put him on IR. Unless they are content to let his rookie season be a total waste, I think they would have to put him on the short-term IR, but would he really be of any help this season? Dean deserves to make the roster, and most likely won't make the PS. Dean could contribute this season, either on STs or on D.

What are your thoughts on what they should do to create a spot for Echols following the 1st game? Would you put Bernard- Converse on short-term IR, risk another team claiming him by trying to put him on the PS? The Jets will probably keep Davis. I'll be shocked if they don't. They may think that Davis will help them more this year than Dean will with his STs ability. I think most Jets fans would say, "Cut Davis NOW!" Personally, I would keep Dean, and either cut Davis and try to put him on the PS, or put JBC on short-term IR, then make a decision what to do with him once he's eligible to come off IR.

Just for the heck of it, I'm gonna take a stab at the PS spots too.

PS (16)
    Nick Bawden (FB)
    Travis Dye (RB)
    Tim Boyle (QB)
    Deslin Alexandre (DE)
    Jalyn Holmes (DE)**
    Tanzel Smart (DT)**
    Bruce Hecton (DT)**
    Trystan Colon (OG/C)**
    Alex Erickson (WR/PR)**
    Malik Taylor (WR)**
    Zach Kuntz (TE)**
    DJ Jenkins (TE)
    Caleb Johnson (LB)
    Claudin Cherelus (LB)
    Jerome Kapp (WR)
    Marquis Waters (S)

I'm guessing that these are the 16 players that the Jets would like to keep on the PS. The problem is that I would be shocked if Holmes, Smart, Hector and Colon clear waivers and make the PS. Heck, even Taylor, Kuntz and Erickson might not make it, either. I think that they would like to keep both Dean and Bernard-Converse too and probably won't be able to on the roster, so would try to put hem on the PS. Neither may make it, or JBC might since he hasn't practiced. As to whom would go to make room for Dean and JBC, if all 16 players above make it to the PS, I'm guessing that it would be two of Caleb Johnson, Marquis Waters, Jerome Kapp, and Claudin Cherelus.

#18 NCJetsfan, Aug 27, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  19. NCJetsfan

I disagree that they would only keep 4 WRs in ANY circumstances. I think they're nuts if they waste a roster spot on Bawden. I will lose a lot of trust and faith in both Saleh and Hackett.

IMO Hall does not deserve a roster spot. The Jets obviously don't like or trust him since they hardly played him last season. Moreland has better ball skills, is faster, and can play both outside and in the slot. With Guidry gone for the season, they have no backup for MC II.

#19 NCJetsfan, Aug 27, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  20. dawinner127

The dude got way to much practice with the 1s to not make the team. I would be shocked if he isn't one of the 53.

BacktoQueens and Lon Chaney like this.