Corey Davis Retires

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SOJAZ, Aug 23, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’m not going to pretend this was my opinion even five days ago but I much rather would have spent the exact same money Tennessee did on DeAndre Hopkins than the money we did on Dalvin Cook.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think we should keep in perspective what kind of offense we will see with Hackett. First and foremost a strong, consistent running game with backs that can also catch out of the backfield. This will set the stage for everything else. Next to a solid OL, AR is most deadly if the running game is effective.
    Having said that, my thinking is we will keep a stronger contingent of TE and RBs to set the stage for Rogers. I see a max of 5 WRs at this point, with a few on the PS.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I wanted no part of Hopkins, and I don't think the Jets did either. His attitude doesn't fit who the Jets are or what the Jets are all about under JD and Saleh. Hopkins quit on the Cardinals last season. He doesn't like to practice and goes through the motions. IMO that's not the type of player you bring in when you have a bunch of young impressionable players on the team. It would send a conflicting message and would be hypocritical. He's not the type of player you want young players emulating or looking up to.

Hopkins would have expected to be the #1 WR as well over G. Wilson, and that should never have happened.

RochesterJet likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I agree that a strong running game and RBs who are good receivers out of the backfield are important and will be a big part of our offense. While I think it's possible that the Jets only keep 5 WRs, I think it's highly unlikely, and imo it certainly wouldn't be due to keeping more RBs. Hall and Cook are probably going to get 80-85% of the snaps at RB, maybe more. Izzy and Carter will get the rest. I like Bam a lot, but I see no reason to keep him on the roster, and I think Bawden would be a wasted roster spot. The Jets could keep 5 TEs, that wouldn't be out of the question, but I'd be surprised if they did, although I wouldn't dislike that.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good points. The TE position is a tough assessment. I’m guessing both this year and last year rookies stick for sure. RBs will depend on two things. Hall readiness to actually carry a portion of the load right away, and if Izzy ends up in short term IR. Bam seems the clear man out. If we go 6 WRs even with Bam out seems to me the TE position might go down to 4. Bawden is a tough out with our OC, as Hackett apparently uses the position as the last line of defense against a heavy rush for outlet passes and or blocking. I’m not smart enough to see why we couldn’t use a TE to do his role. I think the last 10 slots will be influenced heavy by a balance between health of the position and special team contributions.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Until he throws his first interception or makes a bad play. Then it will be "We should have signed Carr!!!"

Mark my words!

7. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

No extra points for stating the obvious.;)

bicketybam likes this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Our first L will cause a meltdown...

"OH, the humanity!"
    [​IMG]

9. bicketybam

If it's week 1 there will be a "fire everyone thread."

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Still better than ... "BRING BACK ZACH!"

11. NCJetsfan

I think you're plenty smart enough. Who knows why Hackett wouldn't want to use a TE instead of a FB? The only thing I can think of is that basically Bawden only has to focus on is his blocking, and only secondarily as a receiver, since I don't think I've ever seen or heard about him running the ball, whereas with a new offensive scheme and Ruckert missing last year with his injury, they probably want Yeboah and Ruckert to just focus on playing their position, and not trying to fill the role of the FB as well. That could totally be off the mark however.

LAJet likes this.
  12. bicketybam

Not sure I've seen one of those before, lol.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

renfrow at his best ceiling is about as good as a washed julio on a bad day lol. not sure the renfrow love. One of my best buds is a raiders fan so I've seen plenty of renfrow. he aint good. it's berrios 2.0 on a good day
    Evans doesn't have to be a 1 year rental. we can resign him and get 2-3 years out of him. we are in win now mode, you need to get your mind out of rebuild mode. Do what the rams did to win a SB. give up picks for high caliber players on short deals. we have a 2 year window to get a SB. need to be all in, not worry about picks.

14. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree with your taken on Renfrow.

15. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

If the dude has a sick family member or something like that I understand it, but otherwise dude's a cuck for waiting until 2 weeks before the season to quit.

Borat and Sec124DieHard like this.
  16. bicketybam

Gun to my head I think the Jets had a pretty good idea that he was going to hang them up long before he announced it. I don't think this took them by surprise.

17. GasedAndConfused

thats fair. you can have your opinion. he's oaklands berrios though. they loved him for 1 year, were high on him, then kinda came back down to earth on him. He's likely better then brownlee or gibson or taylor or whoever gets the final 2 starts but he won't even take away snaps from an aging cobb and he doesn't play special teams. If were gonna swing, we should go for the fences. hollywood brown or evans would be ideal

18. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Renfow would have caught that TD pass against the Vikings :mad:

19. GasedAndConfused

maybe, maybe not.

20. NCJetsfan

Hey, I'd love to add Brown or Evans, but I don't think that those are realistic options. Even Renfrow may not be, but imo it is more realistic that they could add him than Brown or Evans.