Corey Davis Retires

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SOJAZ, Aug 23, 2023.

1. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

That cements Cobb on the roster I guess.

2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

No need to be an asshole to tgg veterans

Sent from my IPhone 43 using Tapatalk V.86

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. NYJalltheway

Thank you you for asking a question respectfully unlike the other dude that was an asshole to me.

I guess I shouldn't say twice as good. I watch every jets game, and every Packers game. I do think Lazard is way better. Davis has had his moments sure, I just think he's done more harm than good. Like I said before, I hope he's mentally ok. I just won't dwell on him leaving.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Seriously? You’re gonna justify your assholish statement with “I’m a veteran”?? Don’t make douchebag statements if you don’t want to be treated like a douchebag

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Jarvis landry

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I was worried about this.

A player leaving during TC to attend to family matters happens, but usually takes one or two days, not weeks. When it's THIS long, either he was told to stay home (he's getting traded) or he's going to call it quits (mental, drugs/rehab stint).

This was going to be Corey's big year (finally) with Aaron Rodgers. He survived 2 years with ZW throwing air balls and dirt balls.

I hope an update with at least some details is forthcoming.

7. NYJalltheway

Have a good day man I hate to argue. I'm just saying I didn't want him on the team anyway and I hope he's OK. Peace my guy.

Edit: that's not sarcasm. I really mean it. Sorry for upsetting you.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. JetFanInNE

Sign? Probably not. There’s always final cuts though. Plus trades, I guess, but if there’s a trade to be made I would rather it be to address the o-line

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I realize in retrospect that retirement is not the real reason. There is something that is driving that. Hopefully is a positive force to spend more time with family. I pray is not because of some family emergency or illness

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  10. JetFanInNE

And there are infinitely better ways to convey this message. Take a step back and reread your original statement and put yourself in his shoes. How would you feel if some random person was saying that shit about you? Especially if there’s a major problem going on in your life. You might want to reevaluate your own views. I’m done with you, enjoy the season without Corey Davis, you got what you wanted. Godspeed, son.

11. NYJalltheway

I agree. I think the wr room will be just fine, but we could use another ol.

NCJetsfan and JetFanInNE like this.
  12. JetFanInNE

Pretty sure he was cemented on the roster anyway due to his history with the quarterback

NCJetsfan and KingRoach like this.
  13. Footballgod214

Just thinking aloud (we'll find out later) perhaps Corey was a bit upset with all the WR talent Joe brought in. First Garret, then Lazard, Cobb, Talik, others.... If Corey was hoping this was finally going to be his big year with AR under center, then JoeD brings in all these other guys, Corey went from 1b (behind Garret) to maybe 3 or 4, and just wasn't happy about it? All these other guys that AR is already familiar with and trusts, putting Coery on the outside looking in...forcing him to earn it 'again' when he felt like he already had....confusing.

But man-oh-man....walking away from $10 big ones can't be easy for anyone not named Elon Musk.

14. NYJalltheway

Now you're being rude. Again.... I was not rude to you. I tried to make peace. You're new here you don't know me. Just be respectful please. We're both Jets fans. No need for confrontation. Man 2023 has been a really really hard year for me, if I get upset sometimes, I don't need strangers on the internet yelling at me. So again, I wish you the best. Please don't yell at me.

NCJetsfan and bicketybam like this.
  15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well … not expected but it is what it is. Lazard will be what Davis’s role in the offense was supposed to be when signed. The big outside WR who can go up for the contested catch. Both similar styles of play. Good WRs …. not all world but Lazard will definitely be a good #2 to Wilson and of course he has the familiarity with Rodgers.

I’m intrigued with what the Jets do in regards to the roster spot….we know either Brownlee or Gibson was probably already going to make the roster. Do they both make it now? Do the Jets go with one of those guys and another FA rookie? Do they grab another WR on cutdown day? Or do they make a splash with a trade? And of course they can’t trade either of the 2024 first or second rounders because of the Rodgers trade. Gonna be interesting …

NCJetsfan and Footballgod214 like this.
  16. Footballgod214

How funny would it be if JoeD brings Mims back! Mims is tall, fast, and a great blocker in the run game (Breece/Cook)! If lazard gets dinged up (like he did today a bit in camp) I wouldn't be shocked. Especially if our own guys like Brownlee, Talik, etc just aren't cutting it, perhaps in the run/blocking game.

Anyway, the roster spot plus $10M? Joe could make a bold push for Devante Adams!

mrjet80 likes this.
  17. JetFanInNE

Again man, it’s the part where Saleh says his heart goes out to him and his family that makes me think something bad is going on that we don’t know about. I hope I’m wrong but my instinct tells me he needs to be with family right now for some major reason

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Anyone remember RB Cedric Houston? Turns out when he was first drafted he was getting totally gassed and he was so fatigued he was crying in TC.

Derrick Blaylock got hurt, Curtis Martin got hurt, and Houston was put in the #1 spot in his 2nd year. He was diagnosed with Graves Disease and was being medically managed, but after his time had come - and he was doing pretty good at his job - he shockingly retired.

Afterward he publicly said his health was more important than football and the stress between the two was going to kill him. He retired before the season ended is my recollection. He was having a good game and a meltdown on the side-line at the same time. The next day he hung up his cleats and walked away.

There are a bunch of players who said fck it because of fear of CTE while I'm at it. Eugene Monroe, John Urschel, Chris Borland to name a few. I'm going with health issue, fear of CTE, or both on Corey Davis. I wish him the best of luck.

19. JetFanInNE

Will never happen. No solid information but I think you’d see them reach out to see if Jerry Rice wants to come out of retirement before they consider Mims part deux

NCJetsfan and Footballgod214 like this.
  20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Jerry Rice could probably still ball.

JetFanInNE and Footballgod214 like this.