Denzel Mims (Traded to Lions - Released by Lions)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

If he’s not a Patriot by the close of business today I’ll be stunned

Cman68, Acad23 and SOJAZ like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. Something's not right with him. I don't know if it's that he doesn't love football and/or doesn't have a desire to be the best he can be (lazy), or if he's mentally deficient or what. He was at a disadvantage going to the Lions camp and not knowing their offensive scheme, but if he worked hard enough, learned their scheme and was making plays in TC, he wouldn't be cut already. He'd be making it tougher on them. Whatever the reason, he should quit embarrassing himself, but maybe he's making more money trying out for teams than he would be other wise, and he got a nice paycheck from the Jets for 2-3 years.

#122 NCJetsfan, Aug 18, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
    Cman68 likes this.
  3. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

How many more teams/chances do you think he'll get?

I'll say 2 more teams or if he ends up back on the lions, one more.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mims got injured which made the decision easy for the Lions to cut him and save the draft pick

Dan Campbell their coach though didn't give a ringing endorsement saying just "he's in the room" yesterday when a reporter asked about him. Wonder if he was used to easy camps here and Detroit is a little more challenging or something

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he's just not good. Never liked the pick personally. his film sucked, he's apparently not good at learning playbooks, and he has the built like tarzan plays like jane play style. he's too soft. other then being big and fast he had nothing of use.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

He hasn't been good in the NFL, but he was at Baylor.

7. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Sign the beast! All kidding aside, I loved the pick when we snagged him in the 2nd rd, then again, the 2nd hasn't always been kind to us.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Too bad for him, The injury and the fact there was a pick involved made it easier to release him.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Waste of a good pick. Couldn't even get a future 6/7th round swap for him at the end of the day. Oh well... If Becton does not step up this year, that entire draft is a waste. And we really need him to step up.

BacktoQueens and SOJAZ like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

in college you can win on speed and size alone. You can't in the NFL. college is a whole different game

11. NCJetsfan

Agreed. Antonio Cromartie was able to do it without working to refine his technique, but not many players can do that. That's why so many very good collegiate players never make it in the NFL. They never got good coaching, and were allowed to just go out there and have success due to their being bigger/stronger/faster than the other players they faced. Then when they face players just as talented/big/strong/fast as they are, they flounder because they have no technique, and some of them just don't love the game enough to put in the hard work it takes to improve, and others may fail because of mental shortcomings. Perhaps their collegiate coaches tried to teach them better technique, but the players weren't capable of learning it or weren't willing to work hard enough.

Since1969 likes this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

It also works in the opposite direction too I think…there are probably a good number of great college players that had the technique and the smarts to excel in college, but are limited physically so that when they get to the NFL level, they just can’t compete physically…whether it’s speed or strength or what have you

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Cromartie was a phreak...

BacktoQueens, SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

cro could have been a top 5 CB had he actually worked at it but instead was just an above average starter. dude could fly on kick returns though. part of what made revis so good was his work ethic and film study. it's what separates the greats from the elites

NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  15. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I’ll never forget that combine. I’ve watched every year for probably 25 years or more. When the players are just in shorts doing drills against air, they all pretty much look and move the same, within a standard deviation of difference. There was one player that I literally had to stop what I was doing and said “who the F is that guy?” Because he moved SO differently than everyone else that it really stood out. It was Antonio Comartie, and he was also coming off that horrific injury I believe. I’ll never forget that combine, the only player that really ever made me do that.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He wasn’t really as good as he appeared at Baylor either. He caught a lot of rainbows over clueless defenders in that awful defensive year for the Big 12. 7/10 teams average 30 or more points with the 8th, Kansas State at 29.6. The SEC for example only had 5 (6th team had 29.5), but they also had 14 total teams. The Big 10 had 6/14.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We had a similar experience.

I directed some corporate video for an energy drink and got to work with a bunch of Charger players.
    Cromartie was there and he really stood out. He could run backwards faster than most people could run forward.

A year or two later I went to a Jets@Chargers game... and Cro stood out during warm-ups & the game.
    He was like a slinky leopard out there on the field.

I do agree with @GasedAndConfused... Cro could have been elite. He had amazing physicality.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I know that it’s not unique to the Jets but it applies in this case and on a much bigger scale to a guy like Vernon Gholston.

The Jets have been bad for the last decade plus and god awful for 2/3 of Mims’s seasons here. What in the world would’ve been the harm for letting him start the last 4-5 games in full after we were completely eliminated?

I can’t imagine Mims was so bad he was going to get guys hurt out there or anything. Different strokes for different folks in the argument could be made about locker room dynamics if a guy hasn’t earned it and all.

It’s tough going in there for six snaps a game even if you’re a lazy practice player. We had more to gain in seeing what he had than Breshad Perriman who was gonna be off the roster and Jeff Smith.

19. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Tourists will soon be flocking here to witness the world's last living conversation about Denzel Mims.

BacktoQueens, JetBlue and bicketybam like this.
  20. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Gotta do the autopsy. Why do guys who looked so good suck?