Dalvin Cooks signs with Jets - 1 year deal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I respect the guy... but I think his knee is shot.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like all 5 too, but would rather see Carter leave than Bam.

Nyjets4eva and Cman68 like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In typical Jets fan fashion, about half of the responses seem to think Carter should be the one traded or released, and about half of the responses think it should be Bam who is released. So typical. LOL If we ever all agree on something, I'm gonna get worried.

NY Jets68, Cman68, egelband and 2 others like this.
  4. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I think Carter is a better catcher and a strong locker room guy. He just brings more to the table than Bam, who is a more powerful runner. The Jets have a lot of guys who can run the football.

I can't really compare their blocking. Carter was willing, if not spectacular... Bam I don't remember at all.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Look, if this doesn't preclude us from signing or trading for 1 serviceable OT or OG so we have flexibility then I am fine, go for it even if its overpriced. But by serviceable OL I'm not talking about Jimmy Bingbongo who is a 3rd string UDFA that Joe D thinks could provide depth.

Cman68 and joelip like this.
  6. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I love both but I think MC is miles above Bam. People really easy to forget Carter's rookie year. He was incredibly elusive and one of our best offensive weapons, so much so that a massive faction was against drafting Breece. Bam filled in great last year and he is talented and worth being on an NFL roster but Carter is too valuable to release. Bare minimum he would be traded for a player or midround pick, but I am also against that.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Eh I can't say this makes me thrilled, but it's alright as long as nobody's delusional about Cook's role should be. The more important move is to trade for an offensive tackle; our OL could make or break our season.

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I think It's more of the fact that they are very close In the tier list of what you look for In a RB. They both fit the mold of a spelling RB In today's NFL game. Breece and Cook are both In the top tier where they can be that bell cow type of back, If needed. That's given Breece returns close to form after this horrible injury. Which I'm still not sold on, I'll believe that he looks like he did when I see It, until then. We've all seen players decline due to this type of injury.

Carter and Bam are interchangeable, both with upside. I think Carter should get the nod though because he can break tackles a lot more consistently, get the tough yards, Is slippery, and has great balance. I won't be mad at whoever we keep and let go out of the two. I'd love to keep all four but I guess we shall see.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Was he proven guilty? I haven't really kept up with any of that.

If he hasn't been proven guilty though, I'm not going to condemn someone that Is innocent until proven otherwise. The NYJ seem to be comfortable with that aspect, I would assume/hope the NYJ FO would have looked heavily Into all of that before pulling a move like this. So, since they have In fact signed him, I am not going to condemn the kid until/If It's deserved.

Sec124DieHard, Ralebird and Borat like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Love the Cook signing! The two-headed monster of Hall and Cook is amazing. Izzy clearly has a roster spot, so it comes down to Bam and Carter. Honestly Carter looked good in Carolina, so it will be a tough choice. I’d probably keep Bam myself, but hopefully neither would see much time on the field in 2023 anyway.

11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

You forgot about those of us who think Hall should start the first 4 games in the PUP list

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

They already have guys like Izzy and Cook who are downhill runners with explosion. Carter over Bam as the Jets need a different type of back and Carter gives them that with his shiftiness and receiving ability.

I wouldn't even bring Hall back until October. Roll out Cook and Izzy for the first month with Carter as an occasional change of pace back. That's more than adequate. Once Hall is closer to fully healed then it will be time to 'Release the Breece' (I have patent rights on this one). Then the Jets could have a top 10 backfield., probably higher.

13. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Well I can tell you I'm not as excited as all my non Jets fan friends seem to be!

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Personally I’ve never been impressed with Carter as a runner. He does have some pass catching chops
    Cook, Hall and Izzy can also catch tho.
    If you need a couple hard yards, I like Knight.
    He’s the better rusher.

In reality I think they both don’t make the 53 once Hall activated. They can keep 3 RBs, 1FB, and have an emergency plan on PS.

if Knight were to clear waivers (big If), he could be protected on the PS.

Nyjets4eva and BrowningNagle like this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

107. Michael Carter
    120 Rhamondre Stevenson

Still hurts

16. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

For me personally if it was an isolated accusation I would extend some grace but I throw the benefit of the doubt out the window when it’s more than one person. Not to mention his off the field history doesn’t paint the picture that these allegations from these women aren’t in keeping with his character.

BacktoQueens and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I was lukewarm about signing Cook because I think the Jets had a pretty good stable of RBs to hold the fort until (hopefully) Breece comes back.

That said, maybe Breece doesn't come back, or he doesn't come back more than 80% this year. The Jets need a strong running game, regardless of who the QB is, but especially if Zach has to step in as QB1 for some reason. We all saw what a strong running attack did this past weekend, and we all should remember that when the Jets destroyed the Bills last year it was because they ran it down their throats. Even if Rodgers plays all the snaps this season, at 39 years old he doesn't need to be slinging the ball 35+ times a game, and won't have to with a great rushing attack. So with all that said, adding Cook is a good move, and if Breece comes back at 100% it will be a great move.

Finally, while I agree with those who say we need to improve the OL, adding Cook enables them to use Carter or Knight, plus maybe another extra piece (one of the TEs or DEs?) in a package to get a decent Tackle. I don't think Trade Joe is done yet.

NCJetsfan, Jets79 and JetFanInNE like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Michael Carter is 5'8 (barely).. If the only reason to keep him is because of his pass catching, at 5'8, then it is not a good sign

having said that he is awesome and I hope other interested teams know that and make their offers accordingly ;)

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

keep all the backs by starting Hall on the pup list. Hall tore his acl in November, give him a full year before game action.

stinkyB and JetFanInNE like this.
  20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I like the move, we still are all in on Hall and gives him time before be is full steam back. Puts pressure in RB locker room.

Now we need a OT stud