Dalvin Cooks signs with Jets - 1 year deal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 8, 2023.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Damn! I was gonna watch, and was painting and forgot all about it!

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I said earlier in the thread that I wanted Cook if he wants to be here for the right reasons. It's apparent that he does not, so good night, good bye, good luck, and good riddance.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that?

“I think Dalvin wants to be in New York…I’ve heard for about a month now that he really likes the idea of playing with the Jets, with Aaron Rodgers. He went there with the idea that there’s a really good chance he’s going to play for the Jets this year.”

Albert Breer on Dalvin Cook’s interest in the New York Jets​

Dalvin Cook reportedly prefers 1 NFL team to play for this season (sportsnaut.com)

4. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

If Im JD, I'm pivoting to Kareem Hunt at this point ( whom I wanted anyway from the beginning). Cook is probably asking for to 5 much and waiting on MIA to up their offer.

Hunt will most certainly be cheaper than Cook. People will point to his 3.9 ypc last season, but there was obviously something going on there in CLE that attributed to this. I don't think he's lost a step. He had a 4.9 ypc the year before. He just turned 28 and doesn't have the usual wear on the tires so to speak. And he's an above average pass catcher.

#244 Lon Chaney, Aug 6, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
    abyzmul, joelip, KY Jets Fan and 2 others like this.
  5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

NFL Network and ESPN both covered it and both have shown it again. Perhaps you can watch or record a replay.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The pass catching aspect of Hunt is enough to want him over Cook. I think Cook is the better rusher.

I don’t really like how deep this is going. You don’t need a back to play in preseason but I think you do need him running through a full camp of workouts. Personal workouts are not team football workouts.

The longer it goes, the less I want any of these guys.

tomdeb, RochesterJet, joelip and 2 others like this.
  7. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Unless there is an injury, and agree with Vilma that as far as we re into this, I don’t think we need Cook or Hunt.

JetFanInNE and Lon Chaney like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Thanks!

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  9. Lon Chaney

I don't trust any of the 3 RBs behind Breece. Not that they couldn't perform, but there's no track record. I think they should absolutely bring in a vet.

Remember, it's not just running the ball. It's pass protection, running routes and ball security. Hunt does all three very well.

#249 Lon Chaney, Aug 6, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
    Acad23 and NY Jets68 like this.
  10. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Track record gotta start somewhere right?

11. Lon Chaney

I guess. And I'm not saying I don't like these guys as players - except MC, I don't really like him. But in a year like this, I'd rather roll with a guy like Hunt.

12. NCJetsfan

He may have done all 3 very well, but based on what I've read, he is on the decline, and he has poor character. I'd rather go with our young unproven players.

JetFanInNE and tomdeb like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I've been around long enough to know that hearsay from football reporters is best ignored. Regardless, even if the Jets are Cook's top choice, he has some reservations about signing here, or he would have done so already. And given what we need him for (holding down the fort in the first half so Breece can be fresh in the second half and get all the glory), if he has reservations now, it's best we don't sign him. Especially when he's already missed training camp and part of the preseason.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Totally agree. There is no way the Vikes would have given up on him without a damn good reason.

15. NCJetsfan

I tend to agree on Cook, but actually, I was responding to the idea of Hunt coming to the Jets, not Cook.

tomdeb likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Or maybe the Jets are in no hurry to sign Cook because they're more interested in Elliott. The reservations shoe may be on the other foot. I'm in no hurry to decide the situation based on "hearsay from football reporters" regardless of which way it flies. Deciding what's "apparent" isn't always so apparent.

#256 Ralebird, Aug 6, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the jets avoid Cook, Elliott, and Hunt. Carter and Knight supply enough depth. I also think those guys who have sweated out the summer workouts are a little resentful of another coming in at the 11th hour and taking a job.

papapump and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I don't see that at all. as a rookie MC was the top RB in the NFL in forced missed tackle rate (54 on 183 touches). he even had a 170+ yard from scrimmage game. IDK why he didn't look nearly as good last year. Bam has never shown anything close to what MC showed as a rookie. Bam started 4 games as a rookie last year and his bets game was 118 total yards and he had 2 of the 4 games where he combined for a total of 21 yards on 19 carries. He had 2 good games and 2 bad ones. but nowhere did he show the ceiling that MC showed

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I wonder if they are close now. the Jets cutting Steveler opens up a roster spot for someone.

Maybe they announce the signing of Cook on Saturday evening after the Panthers game as he is clearly waiting for the dog days of camp to be over

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Enough with this dude. If there's one thing I DO want him here for, it's camp. Yea he's a vet but I'd much prefer to not toss a dude into an offense that was taught all offseason without him in it. Pass. I'd rather take Zeke as a downhill guy for probably half the money and headache.