Training Camp Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Vasquez:
    Funny moment at end of practice: Rodgers threw back-to-back incompletions in end zone (Sauce Gardner broke up the first, Michael Carter the next). Second team D comes in, Rodgers finds Ruckert for a TD on first play, walks over to the starting DBs and tells them to do push-ups.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Faria:
    “The OL is going to get better. Pretty good competition. Had a good conversation with Becton yesterday so they are all getting really good work.” Saleh on the OL #Jets

Rosenblatt:
    Robert Saleh said he “fully anticipates” Garrett Wilson coming back to practice on Saturday. #Jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Faria:
    No eval yet on Brownlee. Garrett had a great workout and should be back Saturday per Saleh. “It was a good catch,” Saleh said of Brownlee’s catch. #Jets

Zach Wilson will start Thursday. “No expectations for him.” #Jets

Saleh was asked as a coach when he can determine if a player on his team is on his way to Canton, Ohio. “When he’s 39 and still slinging it.” #Jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Cimini:
    No update on Brownlee injury, but it doesn’t sound serious, based on what Saleh said. #Jets

Greenberg:
    Robert Saleh said he expects Garrett Wilson (ankle) back at practice after Thursday’s Hall of Fame Game. Wilson was running routes with a helmet on to the side.

Eric Allen:
    Robert Saleh tells reporters WR Garrett Wilson had a good workout Tuesday and is expected back at practice on Saturday

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Faria:
    Saleh says Becton will play 20-25 snaps. #Jets

Waszak Jr.:
    Zach Wilson will start the Hall of Fame game on Thursday night. Saleh says they haven’t determined how long he’ll go. #Jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Waszak Jr.:
    Robert Saleh says Brownlee banged his elbow and had some tingling in his arm. He’ll be checked out, but Saleh says he thinks he’ll be fine. #Jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Costello:
    Saleh said Wilson will have some o linemen in front of him Thursday who are competing for jobs. No AVT, Tomlinson or McGovern, Saleh said

Waszak Jr.:
    As for the O-line on Thursday night, Saleh said everyone would be up except for McGovern, Tomlinson and Vera-Tucker. Makes sense since they’re certain starters. No clear starter at the moment at LT & RT. (Brown still working back, etc). #Jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Faria:
    “These past few days have been the best I’ve felt in awhile.”

Becton on the last few practices. #Jets

Rosenblatt:
    Mekhi Becton: “I feel great. Moving great. Look great.”

Said he’s ready to go.

[​IMG]

Waszak Jr.:
    Mekhi Becton says the past few practices have been the best he’s felt in a while. Feeling comfortable and confident. Excited about playing Thursday night. #Jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Faria:
    “My goal is to be a starter in Week 1. Wherever they want me, I just want to be on the field.” Becton on his goals this camp. #Jets

Becton did not acknowledge what would happen if he is unable to be a starter heading into Week 1. Says he feels this is a fresh start now. #Jets

Rosenblatt:
    Mekhi Becton said his goal is to be a starter in Week 1. “Wherever they want me, I just want to be on the field.” #Jets

Mekhi Becton asked if he’d request a trade if he’s not starting in Week 1: “That’s far in the future.” Said he’s just trying to take it day by day. #Jets

Mekhi Becton said his knee was never fully healed going into last year. “I didn’t get the surgery I was supposed to get.” #Jets

Cimini:
    Mekhi Becton says Thursday night will have added significance for him. Says he’s “treating it like a regular game.” #Jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Faria:
    Becton says he received the wrong surgery last season and it resulted in his injury then. Says he’s “lighter, faster and stronger this year.” #Jets

Becton says he is at 350lbs - the lightest he’s been since college. #Jets

Rosenblatt:
    Mekhi Becton said he weighs 350 now. His lightest since college.

Iannazzone:
    Becton said he got the wrong surgery on his knee two years ago. He said he chose to have a smaller procedure to come back quicker. It didn’t work. He had a major surgery last year. #Jets

Staley:
    Mekhi Becton told reporters back in 2021, he got the wrong type of surgery as he got a faster procedure so he could return to the field quicker as he knee was not fully healed last year. Said he should have opted for the 6 month surgery #Jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Cimini:

Aaron Rodgers, commenting on his $35M pay cut, says “it was the right thing to do.” Says it was a stress-free process, no negotiation. “This is a few-year partnership,” and he wants to help the team have flexibility to get expensive players.
    [​IMG]

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Faria:
    Rodgers on his new contract with the #Jets “It was an easy conversation with Joe, talking about the state of the team and the opportunities that could be out there.”

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Hughes:
    Aaron Rodgers said he redid his contract so that the #Jets have flexibility/opportunities both now & in future

“This is going to be a few year partnership,” Rodgers says. That’s why he also took the cut. To help this year, and in future years, in containing to surround him with talent #Jets

Aaron Rodgers said he is open to playing more than two years with the #Jets. He wants to keep going as long as his body lets him, and the #NYJ want him

Rosenblatt:
    Aaron Rodgers on redoing his contract: “I feel great about what I’m making. It wasn’t really a negotiation … it was an easy conversation between me and Joe, talking about the state of the team and the opportunities that could be out there.” #Jets

bicketybam likes this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Cimini:
    Rodgers: “I wouldn’t mind playing in the preseason.” Mentions that the final PS game is a possibility. #Jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    Aaron Rodgers on Sean Payton’s comments: “I think there was a lot of people that felt (he crossed the line). A lot of people were surprised by the comments. I didn’t like it at all. That’s why I said what I said. I have a lot of love for Nathaniel and I’ll always stand by him. I thought it was surprising but everyone is entitled to their opinion.” #Jets

Cimini:
    Rodgers on Sean Payton criticism of Hackett: “I didn’t like it at all.” Says the comments were “surprising,” but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. #jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

@snyjets:
    Aaron Rodgers on Zach Wilson: "I think he'll look back years from now and be really thankful for this time to grow, to reset, to take a breath, and that's going to set him up for a nice long career in the league".

(Aaron had some nice things to say about Zach during his presser today.)

#457 KY Jets Fan, Aug 1, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The Jets official Twitter account just posted the video of Brownlee's catch from today.

Very nice.

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Hughes:
    Some thoughts on the #Jets final training camp practice before Thursday;'s Hall of Fame game against the #Browns ...

- QB Aaron Rodgers spoke for the first time since signing his reworked contract — you know, the one where he gave back $35 million. He said it wasn't really a negotiation or anything like that. He basically went to management and told them this was what he wanted to do. There's two aspects of the salary cap: There's the actual cap, then liquid cash. The cap can be played with, but the cash is what's on hand (or what must come out of Woody Johnson's pocket). Rodgers felt doing this would afford the Jets more "opportunities" to add players now, at the trade deadline, and in the future. Essentially, he took less so the Jets have the cash on hand to bring more players aboard.

- There will be a future, too. Rodgers really is putting on a masterclass on how to endear yourself to a fan base. He said on Tuesday "this is going to be a few year partnership." Basically he's in 100 percent for two years, but he's not ruling out playing longer. It will come down to two things: As long as his body holds up, and if the Jets want him (I have a feeling they will).

- It was another so-so day for the offense on Tuesday, as far as on-field things are concerned. Rodgers went 6 of 12 with two touchdowns. Both came in the red zone. The second was a really impressive catch by Jeremy Ruckert in tight coverage that ended practice. The defense stood on its head on the possession prior, forcing a turnover on downs. The final two plays were pass breakups by Sauce Gardner (on Corey Davis) and Michael Carter (on Mecole Hardman).

- Gardner made a really impressive play in run defense on an outside run by Michael Carter (granted it came without pads). Becoming a complete corner was a priority of his this summer.

- The Jets play the Browns on Thursday. Rodgers (obviously) will not be on the field, but QB Zach Wilson will. He's had some good moments in camp. Robert Saleh said he wants Wilson to play without "expectations." The exact amount Wilson will play isn't known yet, Saleh added. Rodgers said he's seen a "maturity" from Wilson this year. He's stressing to him the need to "inhale and exhale." This was and is a good "reset" for him.

- Mekhi Becton will start against the Browns. It will be his first game action in almost two years. Remember: Becton originally injured his knee in the opener against the Panthers Wilson's rookie year. The plan is for Becton to play 20-25 snaps. Becton spoke on Tuesday and said he feels "confident" and "comfortable." He's down to 350 pounds. He tipped the scale at almost 400 at different points last year.

- Becton has worked exclusively at left tackle in camp, but he said he's open to the right side. He just wants to be on the field starting. If not starting, Becton said he hasn't thought about asking for a trade: "We'll see what happens."

- Becton has said all the right things. He looks great, too. I still think he's on a different team come Week 1, though. It's clear the Jets two starting tackles will be Duane Brown and either Billy Turner or Max Mitchell. If it's Turner, then Mitchell will be the swing. If it's Mitchell, then Turner will be. The Jets also drafted Carter Warren, who's not getting cut. So are they going to keep Becton as the backup swing tackle? I doubt it. A fresh start for both might be in order.

- Speaking of fresh starts: The Lions are running Denzel Mims with the first team. I'm curious how he will look in their offense.

- There was another big fight in training camp. Laken Tomlinson and Tanzel Smart to start. As things separated, Tomlinson then went back after Jermaine Johnson and took a few swings at the back of his head. The latter is what frustrated Saleh. It's one thing to fight, but then you need to move on.

- Wideout Jason Brownlee made the catch of camp. It's hard to imagine it gets beat. He went up high for an Odell Beckham-like, 1-hander while getting interfered with, then came crashing to the ground. He was a little shaken up on the play, but Saleh wasn't overly concerned. He called it some tingling in his fingers. It's a shame if this keeps Brownlee out one Thursday. He's made plays each and every practice.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    #Jets observations from today:

- Aaron Rodgers was 6/11 with two TDs today, both stellar throws to TEs (Uzomah, Ruckert). And he was having a lot of fun today, talking trash to the defense, celebrating throws with finger guns. He looked pretty quick on the move too for a 39 year old.

- Rodgers raved about Todd Downing, who is running the QB room. Said the whole playcalling thing (Downing has been on the headset calling the plays in recently) isn’t a big deal or anything out of the ordinary.

- Zach Wilson will start on Thursday. Saleh not sure how much he’ll play yet. He was 5/9 in practice today. Rodgers on Wilson: “I think he'll look back years from now and be really thankful for this time to grow, to reset, to take a breath, and that's going to set him up for a nice long career in the league"

- Saleh said he’s not worried about the O-Line group yet. He wants to get some continuity going but is emphasizing that it’s only Aug. 1.

- Mekhi Becton will play 20-25 snaps against the Browns. “His talent is undeniable … he’s gotten a lot better over the last couple of weeks.”

- Connor McGovern, AVT and Laken Tomlinson won’t play on Thursday.

- If Jason Brownlee keeps playing like this — and it translates into the preseason games too — the Jets might have to find a way not only to get him onto the 53, but onto the field. The one handed catch he made today was ridiculous. He landed hard and left practice at the end but Saleh didn’t sound worried about his status.

- Garrett Wilson (ankle) should be back at practice on Saturday, per Saleh.