Dalvin Cooks signs with Jets - 1 year deal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 8, 2023.

1. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

It’s Sunday, get ‘r done JD!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

In the right scenario. Cook ends up being the cream on top guy that the actual contending teams have to put them over, the dagger guy. I'll take an overpay on that, just not starter pay.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The 2023 Jets who are a young team that sign a stop-gap like Garoppolo to bridge until they find a young quarterback would have no business signing Cook and taking away young RB development time.

The 2023 Jets who traded for Aaron Rodgers on his last hurrah should just load the roster with 1-2 year deals or whatever veteran wants to come play here.

That’s why I get why folks don’t want Cook or think he’s lost a step but no team in the NFL is giving him a long term deal anyways so even a short-term overpay is fine given the position the Rodgers deal has put the Jets in.

4. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

JD will sign Cook for a two year-deal between $6 and 8 million and he'll hold the fort till Breece is up to speed.

The Jets can have a lethal tandem at running back.

Get it done JD.

Go Jets!

Jets79 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks! Yes that does sound a lot better and clarifies things. You all have succeeded in getting me to change my mind. I hope that they will sign him.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  6. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

As long as the CS doesn't get dumb and overuse Cook when Breece is ready then this is fine. Breece seems to already be bristling at this whole thing though(unless the post was making a deal out of nothing which is entirely possible) so they can't afford to alienate another offensive player.

7. BleedJetsGreen1981

Fantastic! I'm glad you're on board NCJetsfan.

Dal-vin Co-ok. It's not such an easy name to chant but, we'll make it work.

Go Jets!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. BleedJetsGreen1981

It's a gamble they had to take. They wanted Cook to drink in that enthusiastic Jets vibe from the fans and the energy on the field. Helluva a sales pitch.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Never been more convinced than I am right now that he’s trying to get the Dolphins to pony up.

KingRoach and KWJetsFan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

That's been in my mind this whole time. That's one of the big reasons that I had no interest in signing him. I thought he was just using us. Hopefully, we're both wrong. He is legitimately interested in signing with the Jets and JD will make it happen.

The only problem I have with it now is that if he signs, it means that we're going to lose a young player that the team likes for a year or two rental of Cook.

11. BroadwayAaron

On the other hand, does a franchise really like a young player (looking at you Michael Carter) if they drafted Breece Hall, drafted Izzy and then signed Dalvin Cook?

12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. This is my thinking as well. I'd like to see him sign here, but my guess is he ends up in Miami.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If the Jets have to be in the RB market, would rather have Jonathan Taylor, who apparently just requested a trade.

14. BroadwayAaron

And also is due a new contract next season…

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

If it’s around 1 yr 4-5M I’m onboard.
    Michael Carter not looking like a good option.

Ndamukong Suh is another inexpensive vet option that I’d like the Jets to look into.
    We are hard to pass on, need to be hard to run on as well. Don’t like our interior options beyond Q and Woods.
    When paired with Vea, the Bucs were impossible to run against. One of biggest reasons for their success.

KingRoach likes this.
  16. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

A bit of a hindsight take don't you think? Also, they already came out and said he's not being traded.

Irsay send piffed at running backs trying to improve their situation, so I doubt he lets the colts give into Taylor's demands

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I've seen too many GMs (cough cough Maccagnan) look only at the number of rushing yards the RB (cough cough Bell) had and think the guy's still elite when he's not. Hopefully Douglas is smarter than that. Again, I want Cook, but only if the Jets go about it the right way and don't end up in a situation where they're force-feeding Cook the ball and/or Cook gets pissed if he's relegated to backup status.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but I would never dream of using Maccagnan and JD in the same sentence on the subject of GM moves of any sort. One is building a winning team, one destroyed all hope of ever building one.

Jets79, JetFanInNE and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The verdict is still out on Douglas, and he's had his share of whiffs, so I can't rule out him doing something dumb here. But regardless of how this season turns out, unlike Maccagnan, he's at least put together a team that has a chance to be serious contenders, so I give him credit for that.

20. NCJetsfan

Good question. Douglas will probably draft another RB next year anyway. I think he has every year since he's been here.