Becton not looking good

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jul 25, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Practiced yesterday with pads and it wore him out. Becton sat on the sideline today

abyzmul likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Jets now have $22-25 million in cap space. I understand that all of that developed a bit late with the Rodgers trade and Quinnen extension but there were 2 franchise type tackles available in free agency this year that would’ve went a long way in shoring up the offensive line.

I’m just not sure why JD is so inclined to seemingly build this thing backwards. He’s signed two second contract interior lineman to lucrative deals for their position at the time (McGovern and Tomlinson both top 10 at the time of signing), but he will only sign past their prime journeyman tackles?

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

NM free agency, I have a hard time believing teams let GOOD tackles walk anyway.

We could be talking about Broderick Jones pushing folks around right now if Joe Douglas just stood his damn ground in the trade negotiations

blackssmagic and sozopol like this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's hard to be productive when you're injured for those two years.

Which Is why he needs time to get going, setting him up for failure isn't the answer either.

I think they are doing what they should be doing, gradually bringing him along. Giving him the best opportunity to do his job at a high level.

I was talking to those that want to give up on him already though. Completely scratching him off.

I assume that's not you.

NCJetsfan, Borat, bicketybam and 2 others like this.
  5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Well this is the guy that looked at Zack Wilson and said "Wow! Gotta have him at #2!"

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They are, and that is part of the problem, but I think mostly, it's rust, his fear that the knee won't hold up and he'll get hurt again, and that he has always struggled against speed rushers.

Leicester Jet and westiedog1 like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I respectfully disagree. It's only the second day in pads. It's five or so weeks until the season begins.

I think the problem right now is mental. He's going through what a lot of other atheletes have after having knee surgery. He's having to learn to trust it again.

8. NCJetsfan

I don't know what reports you've been reading. Carter has had quite a few 10+ and 20+ yard runs, Abanikanda has had several 20+ yard runs and a 50 yard TD run, WR UDFA Gipson had a 20 yard TD run, and Knight has had several good runs.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You say that like the verdict is in on ZW. In your mind it obviously is, but in reality it isn't. Given all the new and positive changes around him - in contrast to the absolute shit show he was put into when he first arrived - I'd say there's a good chance he can actually become the guy that Douglas thought he drafted (and several other teams wanted to).

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

I know you disagree. That's fine. I also know that it takes time for an athlete to learn to trust that his injury has fully healed. That said, he's had a loooong time to recuperate. The fact is that Becton didn't demonstrate that he took his rehab seriously, and who knows how much that may have impacted him?

And yes, he needs to have some time in action to work the rust off, but having not played for two years, that rust may not fully come off - remember Bell?

The reality is that the odds are against Becton coming back. I hope I'm wrong, but history says otherwise for giant men trying to play a violent sport that demands flexibility and agility.

blackssmagic and Will-I-Am-Not like this.
  11. bicketybam

As good as Becton's chance but the narrative isn't the same. And that's odd because Becton at least had a decent season which Wilson has never had.

Ralebird likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Sorry, I just can't take your "analysis" seriously.

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

We need another oline stud to protect our QB

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. bicketybam

There's no real analysis other than Becton has had one productive year and Zach hasn't. Am I wrong by saying that? Becton has been hampered by injury. Zach has been hampered by just being a terrible QB. I'm not totally giving up on him but call a spade a spade.

15. ColoradoContrails

So you're completely discounting the injuries Zach had, the shit OL play - which Becton contributed to - the shitty coaching, the misfit between Zach's strengths and what MLF was fixated on as his "system"?

16. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Lol

17. bicketybam

Didn't Becton have the same shitty coaching?

I'm not closing the book on Wilson but I have a hard time with people that shit all over Becton but still support Wilson.

Ralebird and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The only explanation I can think of if the price. JD is notoriously value oriented and good tackles come at a premium. He did try this offseason, but ultimately failed to bring in a big name tackle. Right player, right price is his motto, and it is possible good tackles are pricing themselves out of his range. Perhaps he undervalues them, which is hard to believe but I can't really find any other explanation.

I saw these, but it seems most of the success has been outside the first team. Today Rodgers was asked how he feels about oline, and he literally said he was comfortable with interior, but did not echo this sentiment with Tackles. Basically mentioned that Becton and Duane are still out, there is competition there, etc... Basically a polite way of saying we are not there yet.

19. ColoradoContrails

You see no difference in the difficulty and complexity between playing QB and Tackle? Huh.

And I haven't "shit all over Becton". I've questioned his commitment and fitness to play the way he was expected to play, but I think those are fair questions to ask given his track record. OTOH, I have a problem with those who give Becton all sorts of leeway despite those actual concerns, while shitting on Wilson without taking into account the issues I raised...issues which the Jets have tacitly admitted by getting rid of LaFleur and bringing in an OC who has a track record of adapting his system to the players he actually has.

20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Im not writing him off, but I’m praying JD has a trick up his sleeve to shore up our OT position