Becton not looking good

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Jul 25, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

lets see if he even makes it to September

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Very scary stuff there. Two oft-injured left tackles and two unproven right tackles

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The Zach Wilson move is the one that cost us.

I agree it’s a little scary.
    Few guys might show something like Becton or Mitchell, or the GB vet, or even the rook. It’s early yet. Hopefully anyway.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Saleh says Becton doesn't trust his knee?

I don't either... :confused:

Leicester Jet, REVISion and Cman68 like this.
  5. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

2020 seems so long ago when talking about Becton.

6. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I can't believe we didn't pick up his 5th-year option.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more!

8. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

and he's already played more football than last year

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think it's too early to give up on him for this year, we're only 5 practices into TC. I think if he stays healthy, he has a very good shot to win one of the starter jobs at OT. Thus far, he hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy but losing the amount of weight that he did this offseason surely reduced the stress on his lower body, hopefully that translates to a healthy year for Mekhi but we'll see.

On a more positive note, it sounds like Max Mitchell has been solid at RT so far. If he proves to be a reliable option at RT that give us the luxury of not having to rely on Becton to contribute this year.

NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Maybe the problem is that the D line is really good.

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Remember: This line is going to protect a QB in his 40s.

papapump, cval and Cman68 like this.
  12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

He absolutely deserves a chance. A chance, not a red carpet. The difference is for the past 2 seasons Douglas has arrogantly just counted on Becton as if Becton is a proven asset. Becton is and has been completely useless as a football player for a ridiculously long time. How you can possibly go into this season counting on Becton to do anything more than provide shade for shorter players is beyond me.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I can't even remember which knee he wrecked (I haven't seen the pic of his knee brace yet) but I wonder if one side of the line (LT vs RT) is easier on that knee the way Tackles seem to launch out further at the snap to pick up the rushing edge defender. Whichever side demands less of his broken knee should probably be the side he starts on.....

14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Any side of the bench should be just fine lol

15. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Very well said.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Second day of practice with pads and Becton is on the side working with the other injured players. Definitely not a good look. IDK what the future holds for him, but clearly it's going to take him quite some time to return to full fitness - if he ever does. The bottom line is that he obviously can't be counted on to be a starter any time soon. I sure hope all the other options they have can produce a good replacement.

Jets79 and Borat like this.
  17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree…I didn’t like the strategy of counting on him going into last year either…I like it worse now.

He can be dominant if he can stay on the field…to date he hasn’t been able to do that

I hope he can but I wouldn’t be betting my job on it…nor would I be betting AR’s health on it either

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Agreed, it does not look great I am afraid. There is still time left but Becton is in and out and getting dominated while in, and Duane I don't think had a real practice yet. We are left with Max, Billy Turner, and Carter Warren. Based on the reports I have seen so far from the camp, there is no running game, and there are quite a few sacks allowed.

Let's hope it's because our defense is so good, but I am afraid it's a combination of that and OT just not being very good. The later is something that was the most concerning during the off-season and is now unfortunately it is looking more so early in camp.

ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's head scratching that an experienced NFL personnel guy/GM has had the opportunity to observe Becton for 3+ years and apparently was satisfied that he could return to fitness and be a starting tackle. What is he seeing that we aren't? I want to give Douglas the benefit of the doubt, but I'm finding it nearly impossible to do. The only thing I can come up with is that Douglas did conclude that Becton will never really work out, but he can't admit it publicly for fear of diminishing his trade value. Or maybe Douglas knows something that indicates that Becton can realistically recover and become the T he drafted, although I can't see how that's possible at this point. But then again, I have nowhere near the info that JD has. I can only hope for the best, and if Becton can't recover that they have an adequate replacement.

Jets79 and Borat like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Maybe he thought Billy Turner is that replacement, but it appears he also is not doing so well thus far. Hopefully Brown will be back soon. Max seems to be the only LT who is having a decent camp, and even he has some misses here and there. Haven't heard much about Carter Warren, who is there with 2s. Hopefully it's a good sign. At this point, let's just hope it will get better with time as there is still over a month left. The reinforcements at tackle are not coming.

ColoradoContrails likes this.