What Would You Take for Becton Right Now

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Jul 20, 2023.

Tags:
?

What would it take for you to trade Becton RN?

1. 2024 and 2025 1sts

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. 2024 1st

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 2024 2nd

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  4. 2024 3rd

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Anything

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. 2024 1st and Bakhtiari

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

At this point trading him would be for spite or punishment for the shit job he's done so far. That it took him this long to figure out that he needed to drop 50+ pounds to be able to be healthy and play pro football is gob smacking.

That said, we wouldn't get anything worthwhile for him at this point. I say keep him and play him and let him prove that it's possible for him to play high level OT, and at that point trade him. I don't believe for a second that even if he does play at that level this year, that he can sustain it. He was a colossal mistake in all aspects. More proof that are no "sure things" in the draft.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We usually agree on most things Jets, but not regarding Becton. I think you may wind up having to eat your words this season, my friend.

3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I don't recall anyone saying he was a "sure thing" coming out, which is why he wasn't even the first left tackle selected. In fact, I recall many scouts proclaiming Becton as the ultimate boom or bust prospect in 2020.

KingRoach likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It wouldn’t be crazy if Becton ate this year. I’m going to assume they move away from the wide zone and maybe they try to give him a tightend or back early in the year to chip on obvious third downs to get him in a groove.

He’s a big powerful motherfucker that can move bodies when he wants to and stays healthy. He just would have very little trade value right now and very little trade value that would benefit the Jets SB run.

5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

"If" is the problem.

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He is so fucking big when you are up close to him. I was at camp today and it is just mind blowing how much bigger he is than everyone else. He stayed after practice ended today and was working one on one with Billy Turner and another coach.

Jets79, NY Jets68, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  7. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Becton lost 50 pounds. He is in a contract year.

He is MOTIVATED.

The ONLY move is letting him play while motivated.

Then, when his stock is up, we trust Douglas, because he has information we don't.

If Douglas trusts that Becton can sustain high level of play, we sign an anchor LT. If Douglas does not trust Becton, we trade him when his stock his up.

Buying high, selling low is a losing recipe.

Jets79, Mogriffjr, bicketybam and 4 others like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I agree. I don't think Becton is motivated solely by it being a contract year. Before his draft he talked about how he wanted to be great. He has always worked hard at practice to learn and get better. I've never heard/read anything to indicate that he was just coasting or would play only in a contact year and then dog it like Wilkerson did. I think he is also motivated to prove his many doubters wrong.. He is going to let his play do his talking for him.

I also think Jets fans talking about his not being able to stay healthy is overblown. His initial knee injury was a freak/fluke kind of thing and not his fault. Last season he evidently wasn't ready, and still had knee soreness. He told the CS and they basically ignored him, and that led to the injury that kept him out last season. If the CS and Training Staff had been smarter/better last year, Becton may have played the whole season or at least most of it. It took his getting injured again to really realize that he needed to lose a lot of weight. He has, and by all accounts is in fantastic shape. Unless he is unlucky again and suffers another fluke injury, or there is something inherent in being that big that will lead to getting constantly injured, he could stay healthy and never miss another game.

Ralebird likes this.
  9. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

You let him play and then make the tough decision end of year. We aren’t that deep at OT to move anyone rn

BrowningNagle likes this.
  10. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

We have waited two years to get Becton healthy, so I don't want him going anywhere at this point.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

JoeD would never trade him at this point for anything less than two 1sts

just like Jamal. (The same Jamal who demanded a trade, which meant Joe would never get more than a third, and a 2nd rounder would be a gift).

Heck, Joe got a 2nd for Sam, who never had a winning season. He got a 2nd for Moore, a young WR who never blossomed. So anything less than 2 1sts for Becton, a potential top LT for a decade, would be a crime.

I'm on the "Don't trade Becton for any reason" train. LT is the 2nd most important spot on the team, and with Rodges saying he may play for several more years, locking down the LT spot would be pure gold, and may also be one of the reasons AR decides to keep playing.

NCJetsfan and NY Jets68 like this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Anything short of a 1st round pick and I'm not accepting the offer.

I concede that's a high price for someone like Becton but his ceiling is still sky high. Will he hit that ceiling? Probably not at this point but I wouldn't trade him for anything less than that. He's more valuable to the team this year than a 2nd or 3rd rounder in the next year or two.

13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hughes in the same camp as Cimini about trading him

ouchy likes this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If Billy Turner is ahead of Becton, its a bad sign for both Becton and the team. They are both injury prone and neither has played more than 11 games in one season. Tackle problems are going to be a challenge this year.

15. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Becton played 14 games his rookie season

ouchy likes this.
  16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Becton will be the best tackle on the team. Trading him would be idiotic.

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think his "potential" is way too high for what the Jets would be offered for him. I don't think any team would offer any more than a third.

I'd rather the Jets hold on to him in the hopes that he balls out. If he does, the Jets can either extend him or trade him at the end of the year. They'd probably get a third round compensatory pick just for letting him walk in FA.

Unless they'd be receiving a first rounder, I'm in no rush to move him. Despite not having a first, Jets should have nine picks next year. Trading Becton for a third doesnt seem like a needle mover to me.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If someone trades is a third for him they would be getting a steal.

#38 bicketybam, Jul 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  19. NCJetsfan

I don't see JD trading Becton. IMO that would be an incredibly stupid move. If he were to trade Becton, I'd definitely start agreeing with you that JD is not doing a great job. Based on what I've read, Billy Turner has been looking like crap, so to keep him over Becton would really be stupid. We don't know that either Brown or Mitchell will be able to play the whole season, either. I also don't see any way that Mitchell.would beat out Becton in a straight up competition, and I'm not certain that Brown would, either.

I hope that Cimini and Hughes are showing their ignorance and anti-Jets perspective.

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

That's the optimistic view, for sure, but there is no real evidence to support this view, any more than there is evidence to the contrary really...

I personally DO think he's motivated because it's a contract year and because he didn't get the 5th year option...I base that on the fact that he wasn't around all the time for voluntary programs in the past...right or wrong I believe that means something about a player's desire to go all in and be great. He didn't do it. He didn't always show up in shape. He has now, so I hope he does well, but again, I don't really see any evidence to support it. That's your hope and opinion, and mine too honestly, but I'm skeptical.

As to the injury, I disagree it's overblown. Dude missed several games his rookie year as well before the knee. All of the diagnosis were estimates I guess, but I never saw a single one that called that first knee injury a season ending one. Maybe there were some, and maybe the Jets even knew it, but I didn't see them. All I heard was in the range of 8 weeks. Granted everyone is different but nothing pointed to season ending at the time. Then for the next year, sure, someone rolled up on him, and I did hear the noise about him saying he wasn't 100%, so there may be something to that...or maybe it's true that had he done a real surgery the prior year it would have helped...who knows? But the FACT is that he's missed more games than he's played. So until that changes, I don't think injury bug is overblown...it's a real issue and a real concern for him.

I hope he can stay healthy this year, because I think he was a BEAST when he played. If he can play and do well this year, then we'll have a choice to make with respect to his contract, but that would be a GREAT problem to have...

We need him!

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.