Zach Wilson reacts...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Jun 9, 2023.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If you think that Zach is a sows ear talentwise, I don't know what to tell you.

2. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I've been busy, & haven't seen his presser 'til today.
    All I can say is that Zach's situation has changed 180º, & he seems to have taken his situation, probably as well as this Jets fan coulda hoped.
    The thing that always kept my door open to Zach, was that he has the talent, & is only 23.
    And it seems the CS is starting from scratch with him, which is exactly what the kid needed.

We'll see how things play out, but right now, Zach is getting an unprecedented 2nd chance, & if he has it in him, he can make a very bad situation for the Jets, turn out unexpectedly positive.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

In spite of his actual performance in the NFL we keep hearing that Wilson "has the talent." Who is it that everyone claiming that is trying to convince; themselves perhaps?

4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Fascinating situation, and I have no idea which way it will play out… but, there isn’t much chance (excepting a Rodgers injury which I guess nobody is hoping for) of Zach doing anything to convince another team to offer him a big contract in free agency. Yes, he will have a choice of one-year ‘prove it’ deals, but nothing substantial. So if the Jets see something in him in practices etc, and if his relationship with the team doesn’t sour, I think there is a good chance his best offer could come from the Jets.

Like I said, I have no idea how things turns out after this weird little one- or two- year window we’ve bought, but I just have a gut feeling Zach isn’t done here yet.

5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--where is the evidence for "having talent"--theres none thus far regarding NFL QB conclusions.

Truly there are no scientists making this conclusion. Why others do is for psychological research.

Maybe its due to fandom--even these guys wouldn't be suggesting the NYJ trade for ZW if he performed on another team like he has here for the last 2 years.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

LIke I've said... I think we'll see a bunch of Zach in the pre-season games.

Gauging his performance will be interesting...

SOJAZ and JackBower like this.
  7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Reports are enough. If camp reports are coming out that he’s practicing well and reports are saying he looks ready to start, he’s going to get a lot of interest. Teams are desperate in this league. There are not 32 franchise level QB’s on earth. The Giants just gave a boatload to Daniel friggin Jones. That’s how bad the QB market is. So a young, renewed Zach Wilson with 2 years of Rodgers tutelage and reports saying he’s looking like he’s progressed will cause multiple teams to start bidding. It’s not going to make him a top 10 QB in terms of pay, but it will be a contract we’re married to for at least 2-3 years. So we’ll be holding all the risk if he reverts back to his old self when real bullets fly again. Oh, and if the reports aren’t that he’s progressed and looks ready then why would we want to sign him anyway?

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Being able to hit a guy in stride on a 6yd slant, or a screen pass would be a good start.....

9. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

He needs to light up the preseason against vanilla offenses to convince me.

Multiple TDs. Decisive. Accurate.

10. stinkyB

Brett Ratliff approves this message...

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  11. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

If he struggles in preseason he shouldn’t be on the team anymore.

12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

You can almost guarantee Jets mngt will report great things about Wilson from training camp. LOL

stinkyB, Leicester Jet and Ralebird like this.
  13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Why is Wilson the backup at this point? The Jets need a veteran backup in case Rodgers gets injured. Are the Jets just holding out for a good deal on a veteran free-agent QB?

Ralebird likes this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

A few months ago I hyped Alex McGough as a worthy backup consideration after watching his play in the USFL.

He went on to league MVP and won the championship game last week.
    At 28 he's still a bit of a "feel" player... but he's a playmaker.

He's got NFL experience with the Seahawks, Jaguars and Texans... but never stuck.

And yeah... he's way better than Zach... ;)

ouchy likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

For several reasons. First, and foremost, they still believe in Zach, and they thought that making him the #3 QB might hurt his confidence even more. Second, there were no great backup-type QBs available in FA. Third, the cap issues. They have a ton of money tied up in Rodgers and Zach. They couldn't afford to tie up any more money at the QB position without shortchanging another position or positions. Fourth, Rodgers stays healthy. Since 2008, in most seasons during his career, he has played and started every game. He missed one game in each of 2010 and 2011, then missed 7 games in 2013, and 9 games in 2017. He hasn't missed a game since then.

dmw likes this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm in just because of how you pronounce his last name.

17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The only reason he won MVP is cuz Strevler wasn’t in the league.

Acad23 likes this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

McGough is kinda Streveler Lite...

[​IMG]

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's their "story" and you're sticking to it.

20. stinkyB

"Zach? Well yeah, he's a great young man... he's really working his tail off to become a better player. Being around a great player like Aaron should really help in his development. He's been doing alot of great things. He's made some "wow" throws, with his elite arm talent that got him selected #2 overall. We have high hopes for Zach..... "

Ralebird likes this.