The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Almost double limits on Black Sea Bass!! Great day on the ocean yesterday!!

stinkyB likes this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

3. Cman68

Putting Salt Water in the cooler is the way to go! Ice lasted all day no issues. All the fish were good to go when it came time to clean them. I usually get that done on the boat as to not piss off wifey! :)

stinkyB likes this.
  4. stinkyB

Finally got my boat back in the water today (been quite awhile as it needed alot of work) Ocean was flat, but didnt want to push it hard... so I launched at the ramp by my house (and not by the inlet)... gave it a good 7 mile shakedown cruise, before running out matanzas inlet (A natural inlet, thats kinda sketchy but it was flat today and HT was 9:30). MY lil buddy was supposed to go, but he had to mate a charter, so it was a solo mission and I loaded a variety of rods, to give me options)

Saw bait getting SMASHED... just outside the inlet...tossed a small Mirrolure with my 2500 spinfisher, to repeatedly get smoked by bonitos (albies as you guys call em).... super fun catching those fish on 10# test (almost got spooled a couple of times).... got about 6, then moved on to troll for kingfish, but wind picked up and storms looming , so iheaded back to ideally be back at the ramp at noonish.... then a couple more beers cleaning the boat when I got home.... Boat/motor ran like a champ, so I was happy.

Fun day

Cman68 likes this.
  5. stinkyB

we call that the "salt slurry".... there's a fine line of adding too much water though

6. Cman68

Or not enough ice.. I put in 16lbs of ice and filled the cooler halfway. Still had some of both at the end of the trip. No more splotchy fish! :)

7. stinkyB

well yeah, can never have too much ice.... Im used to putting 60lbs in the fish bag when we fish in the summer... and 20 on the beers ;)

8. Cman68

[​IMG]
    Best NE fishing day ever! We crushed the Pollock, Haddock and Cod! Huge Cod were being caught and released as they were out of season. Some looked well past 25lbs. Most of the Pollock ranged from 5-15lbs with a few jumbos sprinkled in! Great boat and crew made the trip perfect. The big boy you're looking at is a Pollock.

#2308 Cman68, Jun 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    stinkyB likes this.
  9. stinkyB

NICE!
    must've hurt tossin 20lb fish back though

That fish has similar colors to a cobia (cobia are a bit more brown on top though)

Cman68 likes this.
  10. Cman68

I was extremely tempted to ice a few 10lbs Cod but being superstitious, I didn't wanna piss off Karma or the locals so I played by the rules. The NE Commercial draggers get to keep 400lbs of Cod a day in the Gulf of Maine. Recreational Fishermen get to keep 1 fish. It pays to own politicians.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ray Romano looks jealous

stinkyB and Cman68 like this.
  12. Cman68

That's my boy Rick. He was part of our intrepid group of FinSlayers!! :)

#2312 Cman68, Jun 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    abyzmul likes this.
  13. Cman68

2 weeks until Golden Tile!! Looking forward to my annual deep drop trip using both bait and jigs. Hopefully The Boss gives me 2 good days of fishing. Nothing on the Calendar after that until November. Maybe some marathon Ling trips or Blues if they rampage.

14. Cman68

New fishing opportunity at the end of the month. Wifey has a conference in Norfolk, VA so guess who's gonna drive down and fish the Chesapeake and VA Beach? :) Got reservations on a headboat down in Norfolk for flounder and will be fishing Virginia Beach Pier on Saturday. Trying to put together gear for the pier fishing. Ordered a drop net in case we get lucky. Heard surf rods work or anything in the 6-9ft MH range works as well.

15. Cman68

Tilefish trip was great! Plenty of Bluelines and Rosies. The Goldens were there but not as many. The Rosies were in 900ft plus as were the Goldens. Capt. wanted folks to go heavier than 5lb sinkers and that took a lot of rods out of the water including mine! The Blueline Tiles were very large and my 10lb was a pool contender but came in second. Oh well, at least I had the 2nd biggest! Bag limits were lets say.... stretched. It was a 2 day trip and the most fun was when we were in 400-600ft. using 3-4lb sinkers. Keeping them out of the mud was a challenge along with people using heavy braid (60-80lb). I was using 20lb and had no problem holding bottom with 4lb sinkers. Looks like JohnnyJigs was right about braid being a lot stronger than the line test rating.. Next trip is at the end of the month to Norfolk/Virginia Beach for a weekend. Will fish one head boat for flounder but I'm really looking forward to doing some Pier Fishing on Virginia Beach. Will get to use my 10ft surf gear!

Tight Lines!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Savatage and stinkyB like this.
  16. stinkyB

fuck yeah..

17. stinkyB

I went bottom fishing offshore yesterday.... 1st time in quite awhile.

We were able to get the mangrove snappers fired up, unfortunately had to fend through hundreds of "endangered" red snappers.
    We got a handful, then moved on to get some triggerfish

I got a few fish on my slowpitch, then got SMOKED.

Hooked into something that then took off for the horizon.... 15lbs of drag then spooled 300 yards off the reel until I saw the electrical tape backing was melting (reel was so hot)...with only a few wraps left, I got the fish turned, and started gaining, then.... gone.

I got all my line back, including leader that was cut/popped by the hook... (I guess my FG knots have gotten better ;) ) but my poor little Seigler SG may need some service after that one.... either
    1) wahoo that smoked me
    2) jigged up something that got whacked by a BIG shark (most likely)

either way, I'll never know. (Im sore today... yanking up anchors sucks)

Cman68 likes this.
  18. stinkyB

well.... charged up there saturday when I saw the forecast.
    Got my bro to push his lil boat (I have the same one) in quest for glory.....flat sun & mon, but obviously busier with knuckleheads on sunday, but that was a good trial run. Hit most of the public reefs between jones/rockaway then out further for the real prize, mostly recon and experience.... we did hit a few spots and had 3 17" fluke (and many empty beers) to show for it

Monday, I kinda took control based on what sunday showed me.....
    Found what I was looking for.... we had a shot at a solid bluefin (im guessing 150lb?) but it was already gorging on bunker.... did our best to switch gears and send her a live bait as Im tossing a popper plug, (we were trolling around) but to no avail.... oh well it was still exciting and wouldve been mayhem in a 17' boat.

next time.....

Cman68 likes this.
  19. Cman68

South shore must have been roasting!⛱️

20. Cman68

Enjoyed Pier fishing down in Norfolk, VA. Smaller tackle yielded plenty croakers and spots. Too hot to fish the end of the Pier during the day. Skates and sharks were coming up. Folks tried for Cobia at night. BTW, picked up my first true bent butt deep drop rod. I was overmatched on my last Tilefish trip as the Rosys and Goldens were in 1000ft. Needed 8lbs to hold bottom and my Tanacom 750 wasn't up to it. The bluelines were between 300 and 700ft.so I loaded up..Left my Seaborg 800MJ home because I thought it was too heavy. I was wrong. I'll be ready for the Southern Extravaganza trip and probably a Florida trip in '24.