Events in Russia

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Jun 24, 2023.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Okay. No politics but this thing in Russia is becoming very interesting. Can we discuss this without including Trump and Biden? If you guys think no, then I will delete this thread. Let me know folks. Again no Trump-Biden back and forth is our only rule for this thread :)

Ralebird likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It was only a matter of time. Totalitarianism in the information age doesn't seem like it has the same half-life or staying power.

Cman68 and JackBower like this.
  3. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Russia / Wagner Civil War?

4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Looks like it’s already fizzled.

5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I’ll be very surprised if this is the end of the story.

Ralebird likes this.
  6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Yep. Looks like Putin and Wagner made a small deal to ice the situation. But I doubt this will be the end of it. Interesting days ahead.

7. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Fuck Putin.

papapump and joe like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Putin knows who was leaning each way in his little war game. This was likely a pre-emptive move planned by him to highlight the people leaning away from him for later disposal.

papapump likes this.
  9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. . No thanks

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If he was that smart, he wouldn't have invaded Ukraine in the first place. He had a rebellious "general" on his hands, and they cut a deal. Most likely all there was to it.

11. Br4d

Well, we'll know soon enough. If Prig is dead in the next couple of weeks it was a rebellion and if he isn't it was just a sham show.

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Putin's plane took off from Moscow heading to one of his homes in Valdai and then disappeared from radar.

Guessing they just turned off tracking but I'll keep watch on this for my 30 points in the Death Pool, well probably be 50 points since if he goes he is likely taken out and be adding the 20 points for a murder.

13. Br4d

I think Putin has been weakened a bit whether it was his game or not.

Other names are popping up now in relation to the power structure in Russia and that was never the case before.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It was only a matter of time before something like this happened. As powerful as Putin is, the oligarchs control Russia way more than he does. And I would imagine Prigozhin is very well connected in that circle.

Short term, sanctions didn’t do much and India and China ate up that cheap Russian fuel. Long term, the Russian people and wealthy will view this as a dumb land grab.

Someone needs to bring Russia and Ukraine to the table and carve up the Donbas and Donetsk regions and call it a day. Neither side is winning and both are losing. It’d be great if the US could be the unbiased party to broker that deal.

Cman68 and Brook! like this.
  15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Russia has been in a recession since November, billionaires in Russia have lost 20% of their wealth which is about 4 times as much as the rest of the worlds billionaires in the same time frame, oil was 30-35% of Russia's budget prior to sanctions and now accounts for about 22% even though they are exporting about 10% more of it, their economy shrunk by about 3.4% instead of increasing by that amount which was the previous estimate. They built protections into their economy for situations such as this so it has taken a while for the effects of the sanctions to be felt but they are working from what I am seeing.

Carving up Donbas would be rewarding Russia for starting the war so not sure why Ukraine would agree to that.

papapump, Ralebird and Brook! like this.
  16. Br4d

Prighozin still not heard from since the deal was announced. His whereabouts unknown.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Do you have sources? I’d like to read. They lost tons of money at the onset of the sanctions. The national GDP is back up as of March.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1009056/gdp-growth-rate-russia/

I should correct my statement as of course it hurt them in the short term (1-2 years). Long term they’ll be fine. They have an infinite supply of oil and they collaborate with the Saudi’s at all times to manipulate prices while they also have the two most populated countries in the world (China and India) filling their bellies with Russian oil.

The longer it goes though, the more unrest within the power structure will happen which I believe is what Ukraine is banking on.

Ukraine is a very large country. The Donbas is a disputed territory because there are a ton of ethnic Russians there. Carve the territory up and run out the clock until Putin dies (doubt he’s that far away).

What’s the alternative? Sacrifice hundreds of thousands more Ukrainians over a territory of people where maybe 50% might really not want to be apart of your country? Not to mention the longer the war goes, the more money they’re gonna gobble up from us and you and me the tax payer.

18. HomeoftheJets

He could still survive even if it was a rebellion. Putin isn't omnipotent.

19. HomeoftheJets

Usually an unbiased resolution is going back to the pre-war borders.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Not untrue but you’re discounting the fact that the west has been pushing Ukraine to join NATO for quite some time which was a redline for Russia. Imagine if Russia tried getting Mexico to join an alliance as their primary trade partner and started funding their military like we have Ukraine?