Thoughts and Prayers Department

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Ralebird, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Stating facts about history is not anti-American. We want the USA to be the country it was made to be and it's simply not that right now. It was supposed to be all about freedom, but it's not.

It's turned into a country where religious fundamentalists try to control everybody else, yet spew this faux outrage crap at things like gay pride T-shirts and drag queens, while ignoring systematic sexual abuse and grooming in churches that's gone on for decades and people wonder why there's a mental health crisis going on. Then they have the nerve to claim they are about freedom.

2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Well, it would be more genuine, to include slavery from the beginning, and all the other cultures/nationalities that participated throughout history. But when it’s used for politics, a whole generation of American college educated youth are being force fed a portion of the story. Most of them would be blindsided to learn that the first owner in sc was black. But that’s not the narrative. So these days , anything that comes from the woke left, including talking firearms, is a joke.

Edit to add… the anti american comment, was toward a previous post about people owning people.
    To your point about religion’s fundamentalists… there is fundamentalism spewing from everything right now, not just religion. As far as the gay pride/ drag queen stuff… adults should be able to live as they please. But drag queen shows and sexualization of anything does not belong in schools, period. That’s where people are having the problem. Reprimanding intolerance or bullying, fine. But that’s where is should stop.
    What freedoms is it that to think we lack? Just above that you sounded like you wanted freedoms limited where you see fit(firearms). I’m all for stricter background checks, but I also don’t believe objects are the root cause of the problem.

#122 typeOnegative13NY, May 24, 2023
    Last edited: May 24, 2023
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

America is so bad, millions of people try to come here, legally or illegally, every year.

The trans surgery and medical treatments thing for minors is pure lunacy and to assess that as an attack on freedom is absolutely hilarious. You’re talking about wanting to give kids cancer drugs (repackaged as “puberty blockers”) and let them chop their genitalia up before they can get their learners permit.

There are zero long term studies on this garbage and even the more liberal places in Europe is pumping the breaks on it. 82% of transgender folks have thought about suicide and 40% have attempted it.

Why anyone would want to push someone into a distorted reality that they are something they are not is beyond me.

Savatage and typeOnegative13NY like this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Even using the word "woke" is laughable. Nobody needs to be awakened from anything if they haven't already allowed themselves to be asleep at the wheel. Most of us know that all men may have been created equal but that surely doesn't mean their treatment has been equal. Wake up! You can choose to look at scorn for slavery as anti American but most of us simply see it as scorn for slavery.

Your earlier comment about talking guns is foolish as well. Nobody needs to talk an arsonist or pyromaniac into setting fires but their predilection for such things might be dampened if matches and lighters were not so readily available. Do you really believe in a firearm's power of persuasion?

Jets OG fan and BrowningNagle like this.
  5. typeOnegative13NY

Scorn for slavery is one thing, teaching it in part, while leaving out many facts to make a race of people feel guilty is another.

as far as guns… no, my take is not foolish. I’m all for stronger background checks, while also realizing that guns don’t make people pick them up.

6. Ralebird

No one can teach you to feel guilt but yourself. Curricula have been evolving for as long as they have existed, for the good as well as the bad. The history of slavery in this country is not going away by ignoring it, the more information included, the better. That doesn't make someone who wants to talk about it today unamerican; in fact it may be unamerican to refuse to recognize our failures to avoid repeating them in all facets of our society.

You're the one who posted "Nowadays a firearm can talk an otherwise reasonable, sane person into doing terrible things." That's foolish, even if you believe some people think it's true.

Jets OG fan likes this.
  7. typeOnegative13NY

I’m not sure I would consider the curriculum “evolving”, if there are large numbers of college students leaving with the idea that slavery in America was the only slavery ever to happen on earth, and only white people had a hand in it. I’m not there to see what’s being taught, so maybe you have another source these people are getting that idea from? I know you aren’t much of a social media person, and I try to steer from it too, but there are a lot of young left people who seem to have been taught that way, and while social media movements aren’t anything official, these people still can someday be put on positions of power . Im just going to leave it at that, you can look into what I’m talking about if you wish.

the comment about guns was an exaggeration of course. But as I said. I’m am strongly of the opinion that guns aren’t the only ingredient in the problem. But many think they are, and that if we do something about the guns, violent people won’t find a way to be violent.

8. Ralebird

What makes you say there's a large number of college students with that idea? You say it as if it's somehow a given - where do you get that idea? If you're not there, how do you know what seems to be happening? Most college students today do not even take an American History course after high school. Who's feeding you all this "information"?

Of course violent people will be violent, but why make it so easy for them to have the deadliest of weapons? That doesn't make them less violent, just more dangerous.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Agreed. Woke means aware, usually thats been seen as a good quality in this country.

What is the opposite of aware? ignorant? why would anyone want to be that.

---

Not sure what any of this has to do with guns though

Ralebird likes this.
  10. typeOnegative13NY

Aware of what? Partial history to fit a narrative?

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

All history that is ever taught in schools is partial history to fit a narrative. Being aware of multiple narratives is a good thing

Ralebird and Br4d like this.
  12. typeOnegative13NY

That’s fair. As long as you are realizing that it’s not always factual , and that the result can end in harm

13. Ralebird

Whose narrative? What are you going on about? What partial history? Where is this happening? Who's responsible? What's the motivation? What's the result?

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Political division. It's more of the dividing and sorting that a certain faction of the polity has favored over the last 60 years.

None of this BTW is about the issues that are being divided and sorted on. It's all about taxes and has been for decades. However you can't get a majority to agree that taxes are bad in the context of the services they provide. So you divide and sort on other issues to get enough votes to make your stance on taxation stand.

15. typeOnegative13NY

what am I going on about? My original comment was toward someone else’s comment, that said something about our forefathers as “people who owned other people”. I then replied that there is much more to the story than that. If slavery is going to be brought up then talk about all of it. Talk about those who sold the slaves. Talk about the many black slave owners that became prosperous enough from it that they volunteered for the confederate army. Talk about how this nation is the one that fought and ended slavery , while it still to this day goes on elsewhere. Talk about how even whites were enslaved by other whites , and people from the mid east. Or how it has happened on every continent. If you believe that’s all just common knowledge amongst everyone, including the liberal college youth, then check out their common grounds (social media sites), and see why the kids say these days for yourself. . That’s what I was “going on about”, since you asked. Im goi g to leave it at that, because I’ve contributed to the derailing of the thread enough.

16. Ralebird

Not exactly...

You may have responded to someone who mentioned slavery but you're the one who went on about "woke" for some reason. You're the one who complained about unamerican attitudes. You added a little factoid about the first slave owner in South Carolina, as if it had some relevance. We're not here to discuss every aspect of such a huge subject, even if that were remotely possible. You made sweeping generalities about college students and what they know and inferred that colleges in general. are biased in their teaching without reference, of course. You distinguish between "liberal college youth" and what? Conservative college youth? Are they better informed?

You're also the one who talked about guns convincing people to kill others. At least that could be construed as on topic.

17. typeOnegative13NY

“We’re not here to discuss every aspect of such a huge topic”. Let me know when you take issue with only discussing portions of it. You being our resident purveyor of truth, I would expect you to take issue with the lack of thoroughness.

18. Ralebird

I doubt you'll ever find me looking so far off topic to expect a comprehensive discussion of such a vast subject.

I make no excuses for always looking for the truth in whatever is here. You have made it very clear how important the truth is to you. Your choice.

19. typeOnegative13NY

By addressing that there is more to the truth of that subject , that’ gets left out of the conversation most times in this society? That’ somehow makes the truth unimportant to me? Make it make sense.
    Let’s just call it a day.

#139 typeOnegative13NY, May 25, 2023
    Last edited: May 25, 2023
  20. Ralebird

Might as well; you keep getting farther off track and have never addressed your "woke" foolishness or talking firearms or how you could possibly believe anyone could offer a comprehensive discussion of slavery here or explained why discussing slavery is unamerican. That's where you came in, I believe.