The Offensive Line Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 28, 2023.

?

How confident are you that the offensive line, as currently constructed, can protect Rodgers?

1. Extremely Confident

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. Somewhat Confident

44 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. Not so Confident

45 vote(s)
    39.1%
  4. No Confidence Whatsoever

20 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not every 2nd rounder needs to come in right away. plus injuries happen. if he's not ready no reason to thrust him in.
    Honestly it's a "losers" mentality. we've been so bad we feel high picks need to instantly fix our team, good teams don't operate like that, they don't need rookies to step in right away all the time.

ouchy likes this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

So, Becton came out and said putting him to play RT was a mistake: https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/mekhi-becton-robert-saleh-nfl-rumors/

“It made no sense to put me at right tackle. I hurt my right knee. That’s going to be the knee that I put the most pressure on [while backpedaling in pass protection]. I explained it [to the coaches], but no one cared.” This explains to some degree why oline and OC coaches were fired, but the bigger point is that now that Becton had second surgery on the same knee, it would make even less sense to put him at RT.

Hence what it looks like to me is that Becton if healthy is a a starting LT. That means Brown (as he was going to be a year ago if starters didn't go down) is LT back-up, since he can only play LT. So one of Turner, Mitchell, and Warner will be a starter at RT.

Mitchell if you recall was sent to the bench for poor performance even before he was out for the season with blood clots. I also don't know how much his condition impacted his off-season program. I would not be surprised if he is last OT on the depth chart. Warren I think can come in and pass protect, but not sure about his running game. Billy Turner, if healthy, and can get back to 20/21 form is probably our best bet at RT starter at this point.

ouchy likes this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah it may be Becton at LT and Turner at RT…I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the starting lineup day 1

I would definitely be surprised if Becton can play an entire season…he hasn’t done it yet in 3 years, so it’s a gamble. If he can stay on the field, I think he can be dominant, but that’s a huge IF. But definitely the kind of player that you need to make earn it instead of letting him rant on social media and then give him a huge payday.

Honestly, even if he balls out and we have to decide on signing him to a large deal with a ton of guaranteed money, I’d really want to think twice on that. He hasn’t come across as a super dedicated “football is my life guy”, and I’d be a bit concerned about giving that kind of guy a huge deal, but it’s a good thing we don’t have to make that call right now and we can let the season play out and see how he does. If he gets hurt again and misses a few game, I wouldn’t bother resigning him at all.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Not so confident here, too many question marks

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think JD has shifted the strategy when it comes to OT. After not being able to get a solid starter in free agency / top of the draft, he is now throwing shit onto the wall and trying to see what sticks. Create a competition between 4th round guys and cheap vets and hopefully a solid RT starter will emerge (Becton I think will start at LT with Brown subbing). This worked for some teams before: like Seattle for example had a 3d round rookie start last year and do very well. Hopefully it will work for us also, but there is a fairly high element of luck that is needed here, particularly given injury history of the guys competing for the starting RT spot.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  7. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

What an unaccountable piece of shit. Nah, it was t because you spent all off-season eating Big Macs and frosty shakes. It was the coach’s faults. This guy is such a waste, I had higher hopes seeing as at least he managed to keep himself away from the buffet table this past offseason, but I doubt he last 3 games again.

twown likes this.
  8. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Once again Becton's fat ass is running his mouth (atleast he isn't stuffing cheeseburgers in it i guess). How about he takes part of the blame instead of putting it all on the Jets. I get the foot work and stresses on the knees due to moving from LT over to RT. Question is why was he moved in the first place? This kid never accepts any form of accountability. Not once have i heard him say I was fat, I wasn't strong enough, I slacked off every day in the off-season....etc the list goes on and on. At what point does Saleh, JD, or Becton's agent tell him just shut the fuck up, play a full season, and be worthy of being a 1st round pick.

SOJAZ, Cman68, BrowningNagle and 2 others like this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agreed

But they kind of did do that, right? By not picking up his 5th year option, that’s exactly what they’re saying…they’re saying we don’t trust you to (a) stay healthy, and (b) stay in shape, so we’re not going to guarantee you anything for year 5…you need to go out and earn it.

In fact, Saleh did say exactly that when he posted that he’s a LT…

So yah, they agree with you as well!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

becton has a tendency to whine but this isnt the first or second time that a jet's player has complained about the competency of our physical training/medical staff under joe douglas

dont shoot the messenger

Br4d, LAJet, BrowningNagle and 2 others like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

i have been an advocate of Becton's but I dont see how this public airing of grievances was a good idea at all, sad. He may have bought himself a ticket out

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He was given the perfect situation to come back and prove the haters wrong. Get coached up by a HOF signal caller. Prove that he wasn't just an overly sensitive baby that wants to dictate the terms of his NFL existence based on an impressive fraction of a rookie season.

If anyone needs to log off the social media, it's that moron.

13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I voted not so confident, but I just noticed @HackettSuxTNG , does that stand for HackettSuxTheNextGeneration? That's very funny.

14. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Thank you. It's been known to happen.

jetophile likes this.
  15. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

He should be cut today.

16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I wish every Social Media platform would get pulled for a month without explanation. It would turn into 'The Belko Experiment' in 24 hrs flat.

In reality, I wish all the sheep would get forced back to being rudderless for good. I have such a hatred for it by default and I wear my non-conformity to "belong" like a badge. Fck that. I didn't disconnect, I never joined any of it.

Except when it purely comes to business and marketing to sell art or promote an ingenious idea that makes money and can also help people for example, it's a scourge.

Attorneys comb Social Media and purge or approve potential jurors during jury selection for a reason.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

Good to know. I served on a murder trial jury once and it was a terrible experience. Next time I get called I'll post a bunch of crazy sh-t on facebook so I dont have to do it again.

Acad23 likes this.
  18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I know you’re being sarcastic and obviously I’m not advocating he be cut. But he shouldn’t be handed anything. He should be fighting for the LT spot up against anyone else on the roster and have to earn the spot. If he doesn’t then he either fights for the RT spot or becomes solid depth for us (as long as he’s healthy and not moping like a little baby).

19. BrowningNagle

From Becton's comments it sounds like he doesn't want to fight for a RT spot

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

how about cutting the kid some slack? we don't have all the facts but to give an idea of what the kid has been through

2020 - suffers shoulder injury, coaches (gase at the time) left him as a back-up, starter got hurt, he was thrust in, was visibly in pain and struggling (IDK if u remember but I do and it was hard to watch) makes injury worse, misses rest of season
    2021 - suffers injury to knee due to GVR getting thrown back into him (no fault of his own) , expected to miss 6-8 weeks, misses entire year
    2022 - says knee doesn't feel right, was told to suck it up, gets reinjured misses season

now we do know he is a big dude and has had weight issues but don't know the extent. we don't know the rehab. the details are murky as far as surgery goes and who recommended it and when and why but he's missed 2.5 years on an injury that wasn't his fault and was bad luck. He looks good now and has a chance to prove himself and hopefully stay healthy. he was looking like a FLT as a rookie until the shoulder injury. out OTs are in a bit of flux right now. we have a 38 year old brown on his final year and becton coming off missing 2.5 years and on his final year a 2nd year mid round pick who missed most of last season due to blood clots and a mid round rookie, plus a few journeymen we added

NCJetsfan and Ralebird like this.