Welcome to the Jets Will McDonald IV

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KWJetsFan, Apr 27, 2023.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If we are going to make a genuine push this season then depth matters a lot. Our season can unravel with injuries at a few key positions. OL is one of them, and so is LB. IMO its really hard to understand why we didn't grab Campbell. We had decent depth at edge.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Right, and it doesn't matter one whit that it may not be apparent to the fans, as they aren't the ones responsible for managing the roster and the cap and developing the team.

That said, even the fanbase may take notice, if Zach has worked hard on fixing his footwork and fundamentals, adjusted his attitude and gets the ball out more quickly and accurately, we will see that in preseason. I expect that Zach will play quite a bit in preseason. It may be too early to see a big difference in Zach this preseason, however, but there should be evidence of learning, growth and improvement. For certain, as the season progresses, the CS should see it, and assuming that Rodgers is back next season, we should see a very different and improved Zach next year in preseason.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

My thinking too. It may be too soon to see any marked improvement in ZW this TC. But next TC, we all hope to see a big difference. With a whole season watching and learning under AR, hopefully it will pay off.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes..and you did nothing wrong initially scouting Zach W before we drafted him. Other than the lack of quality competition in in college I was also high on Wilson. What we all failed to realize was Zach 's lack of accountability when he screwed up and poor leadership skills besides the poor football performance

So when the shit hit the fan and we we lost many games under Zach I could not support him and to me he's still a bust and remains so until if and when he redeems himself. He's got Rogers now so who knows..?

5. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

But Pat fans should be pissed because he pretty much got screwed on the compensation. We don’t know how good the tackle will be for Pittsburgh. We do know he should have gotten more in return.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So a 23 year old kid who just played a bad game - not all of which was due his fault - is asked a "gotcha" question by the media looking for clicks, one time, and you (and many others) declare that Zach has a "lack of accountability". In fact, he never ducked his own part in the problems, but in that particular game he was asked whether the offense - including everyone on offense not just him - had let the defense down. What if he had said "Yeah, we did"? Then he throws the rest of his teammates on offense under the bus. In any case, it was an example of immaturity, not lack of accountability.

And if he was such a "poor leader", how did he rally the team to that come from behind win in Pittsburgh, or the win in Denver, both places the Jets have struggled to win in the past? I didn't see anyone give up on him on the field, and if anyone did, why aren't they being called out and crucified for not owning their part in things?

As for "we lost many games under Zach", Zach was 5-1 at one point before the team went into a death spiral with "Mike F'n White" and Flacco not being able to win one fucking game.

I'm not arguing that ZW is good - at least at this point - but let's be honest about our assessment.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He apologized to the entire team for his comments, so maybe it wasn't just fans that felt that way.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ok...so you think he's not a Bust. Got it

Year 2 for Zach you joined the chorus of posters here he had to show us something...he didn't . And as I recall you hung on and on to the belief he was bad only because of this and that excuses etc......which was very surprising because of the knowledge you have Contrails

"I'm not arguing that ZW is good "..thats the highlight of your post tbh

9. ColoradoContrails

Here's the video of his post game comments. Does it really seem like he ducked total responsibility? The "gotcha" question is at the end:

It was certainly a learning moment for him, but I don't think he didn't take responsibility for what happened if you watch/listen to the whole segment.

Borat likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

No, if you're at all openminded I don't see how you declare him a bust at this point. His first year he was injured, and was told to completely rework his game. Meanwhile they had 5 new starters on the OL, none of who played even one down together in P.S..The skill positions were marginal at best. While Zach was out the OL began to gel, and two veteran QBs who at least had experience at the pro level did an okay job of holding things together despite very questionable game plans and play calling from MLF - who during this time finally realized he ought to be up in the booth and not on the field as he ws for Zachs first games. When Zach returned to action, injuries to the OL and the skill positions began piling up...it wasn't as if Zach returned to a good situation. Still, he did cut down on his interceptions and was making better decisions. We all had some hope for Year 2.

In Year 2 the Jets did add some help - on paper - but then he got hurt again in T.C. and didn't even play in P.S. Becton never returned, and other OL injuries happened again. And while there was a big upgrade in skill position talent, much of it was also new and prone to mistakes, not to mention Breece Hall's injury just about crushed the running game which had been instrumental in Zach making decent progress as a QB. Meanwhile MLF stubbornly stuck to his "system" which was never suited to Zach's strengths. Again, if you dismiss that as a major factor in Zach's struggles, look at what happened to Lawrence his first year under shitty coaching, and then last year under good coaching that built the system around what TL did best.

Again, there is no doubt that Zach had a hand in his own struggles, and that he has to improve in those areas, but to put his poor performance entirely on him is ridiculous. And no one is saying that the blame for his struggles is all on the CS and system, etc. But likewise, no one should be saying that the blame should all be on Zach when there is much proof to the contrary.

JetFanInNE and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

One of the best things about trading all those picks for Rodgers was that we didn’t have to talk about the dumb BYU kid much anymore … I thought anyway :(

13. stinkyB

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Welcome. Now go squish Josh, Tua and Jones.

16. stinkyB

Wait, I thought this thread was another Zach apologist tour...

Acad23 likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Since you brought him up, we can certainly grant your wishes.;)

18. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

I expect people to act like adult human beings, instead of children jumping to ridiculous conclusions, bashing our GM and calling him childish names, despite all the good stuff that happened this off season.

Truly the most bipolar fanbase on earth. The team is either winning the super bowl or completely inept, there is no in between.

McDonald was overlooked by many GMs because he played a different position in his last year. Plus you can never have too many edge rushers, look what the Giants had during their super bowl run.

The pick wasn't expected, but that doesn't mean it's bad, or that Joe Douglas panicked and reached. Reports say Jets were picking him even if Brodney Jones was still on the board. I'm telling you guys, McDonald is going to be a stud.

#438 Jets OG fan, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
  19. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

dp

#439 Jets OG fan, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

So it was true. The Jets did have McDonald higher on their board over Broderick Jones.

Interesting to see Douglas call the Pitt trade with NE for Jones as well.

NCJetsfan likes this.