Zack Wilson's 5th year....yay or nay?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 6, 2023.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I don't recall this being discussed...if it has, I apologize!

JD will have to decide on Zack's 5th year. Obviously, at this point, it's a big NO.

What would JoeD have to see from ZW this season, either during TC or filling for Rodgers, to pull the trigger on Zack's 5th year?

Giants just got burned by saying No to Danny Dime's 5th year, only for Danny to light it up (a bit) during his 4th year, costing the G-men a TON to resign him (like $40+ million per year!).

I kinda like what Green Bay just did with Love. Love sat for 3 years behind Rodgers. This will be Love's 4th season but 1st season under center. GB said no to his 5th year, but extended his rookie deal like a year or two at about half what the 5th year would cost, just to give Love (and GB) a chance to see if he deserves a big payday.

Any chance Jets try something like this with Zack? If Rodgers plays 2 seasons, and Zack is our first try at QB to replace AR, then that would be Zacks 5th season (Zack's 3rd and 4th backing up AR).

If Woody tells JoeD to let Zack develop behind Aaron, the go back to Zack after Aaron retires, how do we keep ZW around? If we don't pick up his 5th (or extend his rookie deal a few years) then Zack become a FA at the moment AR retires. I know a lot of you would say 'good riddance', but that might not be reality.

How would you handle Zack's contract next May, when it's time to put up or shut up on his 5th year?

LAJet likes this.
  2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

ZacHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...and, no. I don't see It.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I would move on from Wilson. He showed no improvement in year 2. Now he will hold a clipboard for the next two years. He won't see any game action unless Rodgers gets hurt or its a blowout and he plays in meaningless garbage time.

Jojo likes this.
  4. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Zach doesn't seem like the type to face adversity head on and take on a challenge such as turning the opinion of an entire franchise and fan base from you suck to you're good.

I think he would prefer just going somewhere else and restarting. No problem here. I don't expect him to do the same Love deal

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just don’t see a long career as a backup bouncing around the league for Wilson. Teams generally don’t want book or bust gunslingers in the backup role. They want a guy to come in, run the offense through check downs and give them a fighting shot while they modify their gameplan to be very conservative and play not to lose.

One more shot somewhere maybe with one of the teams that supposedly wanted him real bad (like the TGG contingency has told us for years) and that’s it.

6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

There is 0 chance ZW shows enough this year to merit a 5th year option.

That being said, I doubt there will be a bidding war on a QB who never had success on the field and ZW will probably feel some type of way about the FO who brought in his hero to develop him.

KY Jets Fan and SOJAZ like this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Should we retain Zach for 21 million dollars?

Hmm, that's a tough one.

Jojo, tomdeb, IIMeanDeanII and 8 others like this.
  8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Yea definitely agree. I don't think he's sticking anywhere

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Mo money mo problems.

Cman68, Borat, stinkyB and 2 others like this.
  10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Good lord no!!

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

We still have 2 years left before we need to make a decision on him. He is still a 23 year old young QB. His first 2 years probably gave him tons of experience. If he can learn from Hackett and Rodgers how to become a pocket passer, with his arm strength there might still be hope.

If he shows something in next 2 years, easy decision. Talk to his camp and extend him so he takes the reins from Rodgers when the time comes. If not, just cut him loose.

chandler, cval, joe and 5 others like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Are we suppose to really worry about that before we even see how he does on his new role with AR under center? I’m sure JD mind is not there at all, and he will start thinking about it right after we make a run for the SB this year. May be.

#12 LAJet, May 6, 2023
    Last edited: May 6, 2023
    ColoradoContrails and KingRoach like this.
  13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Short of Rodgers getting hurt what do you expect Zach to show to warrant exercising his 5th year option? You wanna give him 21m because he never dropped a clipboard?

papapump and Jets69 like this.
  14. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

This is premature

15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I don't expect him to play but he will still practice right? He will still spend every day at Florham Park. I think he will give Jets decision makers clues about his development. Maybe not. Who knows.

Also I was referring to the deal Packers gave to Love. Not do 5 year option but agree with his camp for a team friendly deal if he agrees to it. Don't want to give him 21 mil as a 5th year option, no.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We’ve officially run out of things to talk about this off season

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Picking up Wilson's option has to happen at this time next year, so the decision will be made based on what he does between now and January. Douglas then can consider the avalanche of trade offers that will come in for him before deciding on the option.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

[​IMG]

Since1969 and abyzmul like this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Point is, if Woody/JoeD/Saleh plan on Zack 'growing' and replacing Rodgers in 2 years, then Zack's 5th year will have to be picked up in the middle of Aaron's 2 year run. Question was, what would they need to see out of ZW for them to pick up Zack's 5th year, which keeps him on the team to replace Aaron? If they don't pick up Zack's 5th year, then his 2 years of watching and learning under Rodgers will be for some other team, as Zack will move on.

JetFanInNE likes this.