Welcome to the Jets Will McDonald IV

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KWJetsFan, Apr 27, 2023.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The story isn't told on Zach yet. If he doesn't show major signs of improvement and developement this year, then I will agree with you and all the others who are already claiming that he is a bust. I've said it before and I'll say it again...some players take longer to develop/adjust to the NFL than others. Some are late bloomers. When a player has as much talent as Zach does, imo it's not wise to give up on him this quickly. Did he look awful last year? Yes, he did, but the difference is not forgetting the talent he has, and then looking at why he looked so bad. Some people look at things as if there are no mitigating circumstances, everything is just an "excuse." That's a cynical, pessimistic, and totally unrealistic way of looking at things. I don't think you're in that camp, at least I hope not for your sake. I truly believe that MLF was much of the problem for Zach, and the rest was his own immaturity and inflexibility. When you play at the level he did his last year at BYU and then get drafted at #2, it can be hard to trust that you need to make changes. After all, playing the way he did got him drafted #2. Some players fear that in changing they will lose what got them there in the first place. I've seen it and heard it many times in the singing business. Someone sings in a masterclass or goes to a new voice teacher, and then that teacher (coach) tells them that they need to make major technique changes, and they balk. I've heard singers say, "If I have to change my basic technique, I'll quit." I've also seen singers refuse to change, but not quit singing. They stubbornly keep trying to succeed with the limitations and flaws inherent in the way they sing. (What's the definition of insanity?) If Zach can't adapt and change his mental approach, then he will probably wind up being a bust, unless he is able to hook up with a team that will design their offense around his strengths and what he does well. I can practically guarantee you, however, that if/when the Jets decide to move on, that another team will give him a shot. I think sitting for 2 years and learning from Rodgers is perfect for Zach. Zach likes and respects Rodgers, He will listen to what he says. Hackett seems to be much more personable, positive and a better teacher than MLF, and I hope that he will find a way to reach Zach and bring out the best in him. If not, so be it. I've been wrong on players before, so it won't be the first time. If he doesn't pan out, then the Jets will have a very difficult time finding a quality QB once Rodgers retires. It is definitely in the Jets' best interests that Zach isn't a bust, and that he learns and develops and becomes our FQB when Rodgers retires.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why would it hurt the Patriots for them to eliminate the chance a division rival can get a player they need to bolster their offense? If they now have a better chance to get to a Jets quarterback in two games every year it works for New England, it doesn't hurt them.

ouchy likes this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If BB thought his guy was going to be there at 17 why not get an extra pick and mess with a rival at the same time? It makes perfect sense.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I think all jets fans hope Zach gets better. Unfortunately, so far he has done a great imitation of Browning Nagle (jets 2nd rounder in 1991). Nagle and Zach are the same size, and both have/had a cannon arm and that's it.
    Douglas and MacCagnan judged Zach and Hackenberg mostly on their pro day, the way I heard it. Nagle played the entire 1992 season, totally sucked, and caught on briefly with a couple of other teams and was quickly out of the league.
    The jets only gave Nagle one full time year, and have already given Zach two.
    The only problem with Zach waiting/sitting/learning two MORE years behind Rodgers (and the jets waiting for Zach) is that after those two years his rookie contract is up.
    I hope that IF the jets still want/believe in Zach by then, his next jets contract is a damn short one with a low salary and plenty of incentives.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The statement was he accepted a lesser trade value and compensation just to screw the Jets out of the pick. So he could have gotten a better pick for his team. If true that’s is stupidity. You don’t give up value for your team to spite your rivals. Good way to hurt your own team growth.
    In any event, the only QB that will be on his back is his, when Will buries his ass.

NY Jets68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The story on Zach Wilson is told bro.

7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I don’t buy the story.

The red flag is the Jets were unable to get decent trade value to trade back….

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree with that.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unless Rodgers gets hurt, how can Zach show signs of anything this year?

stinkyB likes this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Not to the fans it won’t, but sure as hell it will for the CS. Practice, pre season, QB for the squad simulating the opposition, even garbage time in the regular season.

11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He got an extra 4th round pick and still most likely got the guy he would have picked anyway at #14. It was just a good business move by the Pats. I am sure he didn't mind if we got screwed in the process, but I doubt this was the primary motivation. If he felt there was a guy he needed and he had to have him, he would have picked him. More likely though he felt there were several players of similar value and he got extra assets, screwing the Jets was just a cherry on top.

NY Jets68 and LAJet like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Brooks Bollinger was a hero in this scenario in 2006 too. And what a story he can tell his kids.

stinkyB and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The question was pure and simple about showing signs of progress, which he absolutely did not show last year in practice So yes that would be a real sign.

NCJetsfan and KingRoach like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree with this completely. But the stupid tweet made it sound that was his primary motivation. Which is BS

Borat likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Seriously? They will be able to tell by his body language and demeanor, and his play in practice whether his confidence is coming back. They'll be able to tell if he has worked hard on fixing his footwork and fundamentals, and as a result, whether his accuracy is back or not. They'll be able to tell whether he quickly goes through his progressions or not. They'll be able to tell if makes good, quick decisions. They'll be able to tell if he is making the necessary adjustments mentally and physically, and if he's learning and progressing or fighting it. If his confidence isn't back, if he isn't happy, and/or if he isn't showing any progress as the year goes on it will be so abundantly clear that it will be like there's a neon sign. I'm sure that as badly as he was struggling last season, it wasn't just in games, but also in practice and in his demeanor.

#416 NCJetsfan, May 6, 2023
    Last edited: May 6, 2023
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Who made the statement and what support is there for the idea that he could have done better for his own team? Simply because some jagoff writes things on social media doesn't mean anyone has to take it seriously. The way it played out looks like a very successful strategic move that benefits the Pats. If it also compromised a division rival that's gravy.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wilson’s only contribution will be mimicking the opposing QB during the week to prepare the defense for Sunday. I hope he takes that job seriously

But this thread is about Will McDonald, I think he will be a contributor, I’m glad he chose a bad ass number like 99

Ptflea2, HomeoftheJets and stinkyB like this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more with you. That was what I was trying to convey, but you said it better.. As far as NE trumping the Jets to prevent them from getting stronger, that's a great strategy. Hope JD does that on every turn, particularly to the Pats.

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This is my thoughts as well....to win the SB, we have to go thru Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, and a few others. What gives the JETS the best chance? Another WR for Rodgers or another Pass Rusher for Saleh?

JoeD decided the chances of keeping a TD off the board with another pass rusher is greater than the chances of adding a TD to our board with another WR.

Jets79 likes this.