Welcome to the Jets Will McDonald IV

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KWJetsFan, Apr 27, 2023.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

As I said, I liked the jets draft save McDonald. My own opinion is that Douglas went into the draft thinking one of FOUR tackles would be available (Wright included),and he'd take one of them. He was surprised when all four were gone, and didn't really have a plan B. He took all the clock time. I bet he HAD some offers for the 15th pick (of course he did), but he didn't like the value.

When the jets were on the clock I kept yelling "trade down" at the TV. As you said, there was not much there at 15 anyway. I was really hoping they would move into the 20s and take either LB Campbell or DT Smith. Both were projected in early round 2, but the jets needed help both at LB and DT (they still do, even with Woods).

My problem with McDonald is he was a luxury pick. The jets absolutely did not need an edge rusher, and this felt like a pick from a team that just won the Super Bowl.. Nor was he close IMO to the best player on the board. Nothing against McDonald, but at his weight he is a 3rd down player selected at #15 overall, which is terrible value. A top 15 pick should be a first year starter in my book, if you can help it.

I also think the McDonald pick says a lot about what the jets think of DE Johnson and Clemons. Not quite sure the jets are sold on either . I keep getting back to Huff being the same kind of player as McDonald--situational pass rusher. Huff is 20 lbs heavier, and looked great in 2022. I know McDonald was picked for 2024 and beyond, but I would have rather taken someone else and tried to resign Huff. Not likely they will resign him now after 2023 season.

As I said, good to be chatting with you again. But you have me at a disadvantage--you know my first name. Can I ask yours?

NYJetsO12 and NYJalltheway like this.
  2. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

If the kid gets 7 plus sacks this upcoming year then I'll say the pick was worth it just on his potential. Not gonna set the bar to high.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  3. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Zach was a miss, that even an organization like the 49ers wanted to trade up for. Yes, trade up. And the Esgles wanted him as well. So, you can cite the single example of a huge miss . The fact remains, every team misses pics. Every GM misses pics. But, you can’t name me a single GM to draft the offensive and defensive rookie of the year in the same draft. You can’t do it. And he’s got a number of good players in the later rounds. The Michael Carters of the world and others.. So, it’s just pure Haterade, if you can’t admit that

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree that after that trade down, the board didn’t really fall right for us. For sure, we had bigger needs at OT, DT, S, and LB

However, LB and S can net decent players lower in the draft, and at 15 there wasn’t any OT left and no DT either worthy of that spot. At that point, for me, I would’ve loved a trade down as well, and I agree that JD probably DID get calls but since he didn’t actually trade down we can assume the value was not there.

So once that was the case, to me I would’ve been fine with taking the top WR as well. All that being said, I will not complain about taking a pass rusher. Yes I get the guy is small and therefore not a starting 3 down player. But for our scheme, the way Saleh rotates his DL so much, I think the pick makes sense. Both Johnson and Clemons played well last year and showed promise, but neither guy was an instant starter either…I do like Huff a lot and I get that McDonald also fills that same kind of situational role. And so we now have what, 6 guys to rotate at edge? Lawson, JFM, Huff, Clemons, JJ, and now McDonald. I won’t complain about that at all…rotate them all in and keep them fresh all game. We don’t have a single dominant 12 plus sack guy in the group, but we have a bunch of quality 5-9 sack type guys.

Shit, after decades of ignoring pass rush I love having strength here. If there’s one place on D that you can’t ignore, it’s pass rush.

So I’m actually fine with the pick…and if he can deliver off the edge, I’m happy

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This is where I'm at too. Saleh loves to rotate and play the matchup on the DL. For years, we've neglected the pass rush and now we've finally made it somewhat of a strength so I'm happy with it. Think about all the different groupings we can run out there now depending on the situation.

Obvious run situations? JFM, Q, Woods, JJ/Clemons looks great on paper.
    Obvious pass situations? Lawson, JFM, Q, McDonald/Huff should be able to get home.
    More of a hybrid look? Lawson, JFM, Q, JJ could give you a little bit of everything.
    They loved putting Huff & Lawson in 3x1 looks last year, basically overloading one side of the OL and letting Lawson/Huff just scream off the edge, now we've got another guy that can excel in that role to collapse the pocket/get to the QB.

The only thing I take away from the McDonald pick is that they might feel more comfortable with kicking JFM inside more this season. However, I thought that last year too when they drafted JJ and Clemons so we'll just have to see how it plays out this year. Plus, with Lawson and Huff on expiring contracts this season, it makes sense to keep that young pipeline at EDGE strong. We could lose both of those guys this coming offseason and still have JFM, JJ, McDonald, and Clemons at EDGE in 2024. Seems like as long as JD and Saleh are here, we'll have a strong DL.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Damn Belichick is such a miserable prick. I'll look forward to Will McDonald obliterating Mac Jones (or whichever scrub they have playing QB) this year. It's SO overdue to start beating them

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

The word on Broderick Jones from what I've read is that he's not a finished product and needs a lot of fine-tuning.

I stumbled upon a Pro Football Focus video on YouTube where both analysts raved about McDonald and thought he was the best edge rusher in the draft.

The Jets will have the last laugh on this Belichick blunder when McDonald mauls Mac next season.

#387 BleedJetsGreen1981, May 5, 2023
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This report is shocking to no one. Fun to see it confirmed, though.

stinkyB and Jets79 like this.
  9. abyzmul

Jones would have been a really good fit IMO but we'll see how he pans out in Pitt.

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no way this is true.

Yeah, Bill is going to take less to hurt the jets when he then later traded up with the jets for a kicker. If BB is so worried about his hatred for the Jets then that’s great for the rest of the division and the Jets. He’s completely lost focus on what’s important and on top of that they have the worst offensive skill positions in the league. He isn't taking less to screw the Jets. What a shit report.

11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The last time (2020) there were 4 highly graded OTs in the draft, they were all gone by 15 so I’d be very surprised if JD was surprised. I’ve yet to hear an insider say they missed out on Jones while I’ve heard several say they missed out on Gibbs.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Odd that another GM has inside info from the Patriots… Does BB seem like the type of guy to open up to others Or does this sound like a GMs opinion?

Lon Chaney and abyzmul like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with you, Tom. We all assumed and hoped that the Jets would draft an OT because we don't trust that Becton can stay healthy, and with both Brown and Mitchell coming off of surgery/blood clots, it's risky. We don't look at things like NFL GMs, HCs and scouts do, however. Most of us would draft from need, and most of the better NFL GMs do not, unless need and value match. We may never know whom the Jets would have drafted if they were drafting #1. I seriously doubt that JD had no plan B. That's presuming a LOT, imo. JD has done too well with trades, FA, and in negotiating the draft, and he wouldn't have had the awesome draft class that he did last year, if he hadn't thought through contingency plans. He knew that most NFL teams were looking to upgrade their OLs. He knew that this wasn't a great draft talentwise and that there wasn't a lot of good depth at most positions. He probably could have told you every team that needed and was likely to draft an OT. This wasn't his first rodeo. He knows that runs on OTs happen early in the 1st round. Of course, he couldn't have known that Pittsburgh would be able to succeed in trading up, but I'll bet he knew that they would try to move up for an OT.

There may or may not have been an opportunity to trade down. Even if there was, if he didn't receive an offer for fair compensation for moving down, then I'm glad that he didn't take it. Drafts aren't done in a vacuum. If he had accepted less to move down, every other GM would have sought to cheat the Jets in the future.

I just looked him up, and Jack Campbell was NOT a good scheme fit for the Jets. He is more of an in the box run stuffer. He doesn 't have the lateral agility, change of direction, speed and coverage ability that the Jets need and want in their scheme. NFL.com assigned him a draft prospect grade of 6.20. Will McDonald IV had a prospect grade of 6.41. McDonald has the physical traits (bend, speed, lateral agility, and playmaking ability) to become an elite pass rusher. IMO McDonald was a far better choice than Campbell would have been. While Mazi Smith had a draft prospect grade of 6.34, his motor doesn't run hot all the time, he is supposedly slow to react, and hasn't made many plays behind the LOS. Neither Ulbrich, nor Saleh, nor JD would have wanted Smith since his motor is inconsistent and he has made few plays behind the LOS. Thus, he was not a good scheme fit.

Yes, McDonald was a luxury pick, but JD had no real choice in this draft. Value and need did not match up for the Jets at pick #15. JD is not going to reach out of need, nor should he. Besides, the Jets could decide to move on from Lawson if he doesn't look better in TC than he did last season. How much of a luxury would he (McDonald) be then? We know that Saleh wants to send waves for fresh players at opponents. They said that they think we'll have more 4th Qtr. leads with Rodgers at QB. It makes total sense then with no opportunity to address a need at OT, C, DT, LB or S, to go with the top player or one of the top players on their board at a premium position. Having fresh pass rushers late in the season and late in games could be the difference between the Jets making the playoffs and not making the playoffs, or getting to and not getting to the Super Bowl. For certain, I trust JD more than I do you, my own opinion/knowledge, or any other Jets fan. IMO he has earned and deserves that trust.

I disagree that the pick of McDonald says anything about what the Jets think of Johnson and Clemons. Both looked good and made plays last season. Not every player becomes and immediate stud or star the moment they stop on the field. Some players take some time to develop. It could also be that the Jets were quite happy with both, but see McDonald as having a higher ceiling and more potential to become elite. With as important as pass rushers are, if you get a chance to upgrade from a solid or very great starter to a potentially elite starter, why wouldn't you?

I disagree that they won't re-sign Huff. Why wouldn't they? He has been a very good, if not great player for the Jets and very effective. Still, he could opt to test the FA waters and maybe some team will offer him a lot more than the Jets can or think is reasonable. McDonald gives them a viable alternative if Huff does move on. I think that McDonald will wind up being more than just a situational rusher. I think that he will be starting next season. He's too good not to. Lawson will be gone after this season. JFM could get moved inside or now that they have Huff, McDonald, JJ, and Clemons, they could opt to trade JFM or move on from him if they think that will make them better, or again, they will have great depth at one of the 2-3 top positions in the game, and should always have a fresh pass rusher.

It seems to me like you're looking for problems and negativity, but who knows? Maybe you're right. Time will tell.

I enjoy our discussions/conversations. It's funny, I didn't expect to ever come back, but something changed within my heart and mind over the last week. So far, it's good to be back. My first name is Craig.

#393 NCJetsfan, May 5, 2023
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
    KingRoach and tomdeb like this.
  14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Thanks, Craig.
    Agree with much. As I said, I liked the jets draft round 2-7. You know me--After years of Mike MacCagnan ignoring the OL, 2 of the jets first 3 picks on the OL was great. I also thought they got good value in round 5 and 7.
    I think they will have 4 TE on the roster this year-- because if they cut Kuntz and try to sneak him onto practice squad, he would be claimed. I like the free agent WRs Brownlee and Luther too- although with the Cobb signing, each may be headed for the practice squad. Kind of depends on Mims and Davis too.

As to McDonald, not trying to be negative, but before the draft I was hoping the jets would get a stud DT or LB in rounds 1 or 2 this year. It is unusual, the jets LITERALLY have 3 guys who are almost irreplaceable--

QB Rodgers
    DT Williams
    LB Mosely

No, I did not want a QB. But if Williams or Mosely go down, we could be screwed--I was hoping for some immediate depth/starting player from pick 13 which became pick 15. They drafted McDonald, so be it, I guess we'll find out.
    Douglas had a good draft overall and signed some free agents with potential. Just saying that if I were GM, I would have taken/traded down for a more needed player at DT or LB (with the OTs gone) rather than the luxury pick. If that's being negative, then I accept the definition. And it's good that you trust Douglas over anybody else to make the right decision, but we also trusted him in 2021 with the overall #2 pick in that draft.

NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  15. abyzmul

Belichick only inspired loyalty when he was winning. Now that he isn't, I think we'll start seeing more and more leaks spring from that ship. Probably from guys looking to skip town. He's like the god of douche, with no Ernie Adams or Tom Brady to make him look good anymore.

stinkyB, JetFanInNE and KingRoach like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We’re only about 0.5/2 as far as hitting on Michael Carter’s goes.

17. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

agree with everything you said...for what it's worth I think the saints did it a few years ago.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I got to believe this is nonsense. You have to be a real moron to hurt your team by not getting the most out of trade just to feed your hate. Makes for a horrible human being

NCJetsfan and KingRoach like this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

They did…I think it was 2017 but may be wrong there…it was the year they drafted Alvin Kamala and Marshawn Lattimore, if I got those names right…before that I think you have to go back to over 50 years ago with the Lions, but I don’t know the players…

So we are the third team to do it

Pretty awesome

20. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Forgot about that, but he also drafted essentially the rummer up on offense as well,