The Offensive Line Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 28, 2023.

?

How confident are you that the offensive line, as currently constructed, can protect Rodgers?

1. Extremely Confident

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. Somewhat Confident

44 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. Not so Confident

45 vote(s)
    39.1%
  4. No Confidence Whatsoever

20 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I believe JD to be a smart GM, who learns from his mistakes. He did have a plan last year - recall Duane Brown agreed to a contract parameters before Becton was injured. That was basically Moses replacement. It's just that the plan to rely on two injury prone guys and a 37 year old wasn't good enough, and I think he learned. That is why I am convinced there is a Tackle coming. Which is why losing B Jones a pick before ours due to stupid pick swap earlier, was to me a huge disappointment. We are not going to find a tackle of this caliber this offseason.

However I think JD will either get a cut from someone like you said or a free agent who was a starter last year, or pick a tackle in a couple of hours if he had a high grade on him (like a second round) and he slid, perhaps D Jones or Freeland. We may find out today or later in the off-season, but I just think JD is too smart to go with what we have given what happened last year.

NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

From what I understand OL available in the 4th, Dawand Jones, Blake Freeland, or Jaelyn Duncan

Nyjets4eva and Borat like this.
  3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I know… I don’t “see them” bc:
    Dawand Jones is a hard pass for me as mentioned on another thread, he showed up to his pro day out of shape

Blake Freeland - I had been mocking here bc of lateral quickness got schooled at the Sr. Bowl -soft pass

Jaelyn Duncan has shorter arms and is projected as an OG - maybe, but he’s not a future OT so meh, rather have Vorhees

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thoughts on Carter Warren?

5. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

CBS grade on the pick:

Carter Warren OT, PITT

Height: 6-6, Weight: 311

Had he not gotten injured in 2022, he would've been long gone. Accurate punches in pass pro. Uses his length well. Loads of experience. Good anchor despite higher center of gravity. Can start as a rookie. Not insane upside but higher floor. (Chris Trapasso)

A-

NCJetsfan, Jojo, Nyjets4eva and 3 others like this.
  6. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

JD liked someone else but it’s OT

LAJet likes this.
  7. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

His knee can not be trusted to hold him if he was 150 lbs Lighter.

And judging by how well he played, he was better of being benched.

This isn't college

So was Vernon Gholston

Can he block five players?

In the same manner they stepped up last year?

8. KingRoach

1. I’m not an ortho and neither are you, so your statement is based of your gut and I don’t trust your gut and I’ve never read a relevant or helpful post from you.

2. Disagree

3. It’s not a far stretch to think someone who excelled in a scheme in college will be able to adapt to that same scheme in the pros

4. Vernon was a starter, this dude is 3rd on the depth chart. See the difference?

5. …..

6. Yes, they played enough to manage the line until they also went down.

9. KingRoach

Lol. Never heard of him before he was announced as the pick. Looking at the measurables, if you would have throw out the name, I could have “seen him” as the pick. JD likes to build Thru the trenches and we, imo, have a nice foundation….

Reportedly we were taking a top RB at 15 if available… my The Case For Bijan thread would’ve picked up steam if Seattle passes on Witherspoon and/or ATL went in a different direction. Lol

LAJet likes this.
  10. HackettSuxTNG

This is just brilliant. By using this argument against me, you also make your own point equally invalid.

11. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

The kid has smooth feet, is really good at picking up stunts, and is really good in pass pro. He struggles some in run blocking due to strength.

If/when he gets stronger, he reminds me of a D'Brick almost. Warren is just so fluid and smooth in his movements

NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  12. KingRoach

My point and my statement was that he’s 50lbs lighter. It has nothing to do with my gut and it has nothing to do with a doctors prognosis…. I can’t tell is you’re stupid or just pretending.

13. HackettSuxTNG

But you aren't an orthopedist, which according to your words disqualifies you from making any valid comments regarding how well his weight will hold up on his badly damaged knee.

Any stupidity in my statements comes from the established qualifiers YOU made. Welcome to the stupid club!

14. KingRoach

I didn’t bring up his knee, you did. Here’s my original post for reference. Take care, enjoy your club. I can guess a few of the members.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I mean you have to be a special kind of dull to not understand how 50 less pounds of weight leads to less stress on a surgically repaired knee. Yea I’m no orthopedist but I’m also no meteorologist and I know black clouds means rain.

JetFanInNE and KingRoach like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks
    Nice feedback

blackssmagic likes this.
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You’re no doorknob either

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Particularly looking at OT, I think if everyone is healthy, Brown and Becton are projected as starters. I am not sure if Brown will be a good player this year. He declined from a star to average player in one season - the year before he joined us. At that time he was scheduled for physical before Becton got hurt, I thought he would be a good back-up as he was a year older. Now he is two years older, played poorly last year, and is projected to be a starter. That's not great. Now, I know he played through injury, and that's another knock, the older you get the more chance for injury. Also I am not convinced that poor play was exclusively the result of being injured. He likely further declined now from the average player he was two years ago.

This might mean AVT would have to play tackle. Numbers last year showed that he was elite guard, and only average/good tackle. He also got hurt using his short arms trying to keep Edges off the bend. I would much prefer him inside, and even Saleh indicated this much in a presser about a month back, but now this might change, which is also not great.

I like Warren pick a lot, but he is a 4th round guy coming off injury. He, like Max, is a solid, though possibly injury prone depth piece, who might end up starting. Had JD not fumbled Broderick Jones, all these problems would have been sold, but now we just need to hope our 4th round guys will step up, and Becton can make it through the year. Maybe Brown can beat the father time for a year. Then let's see what we can do next season, as depending on how Becton and 4th rounders look we may not even have a long term starter on the team now at OT. If Becton stays healthy and one of Warren/Max develops into a stud it could solve a lot of problems. But this is a big if.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we didn't want jones. IDK why fans keep that narrative going. even if the steelers didn't take him at 14 we weren't taking him either.

Nyjets4eva and KingRoach like this.
  20. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Surprised to see this after all the OL woes last season. Still a lot depth at O-Line.