Welcome to the Jets Will McDonald IV

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KWJetsFan, Apr 27, 2023.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

From the Sporting News:

NFL Draft grades 2023: Live results & analysis for every pick in Round 1
    [​IMG]
    Vinnie Iyer
    19 minutes ago•12 min read

15. New York Jets (from Packers): Will McDonald IV, EDGE, Iowa State

• Grade: D
    The Jets make a curious reach for more of a late-rising second-round prospect. Although McDonald has promising length and athleticism for Robert Saleh’s defense, he has to develop more against the run to play on regular downs. The Jets missed out on the offensive tackle run and also didn’t get an offensive skill player to boost Aaron Rodgers. This also is a head-scratcher for GM Joe Douglas after taking Jermaine Johnson as a third first-rounder in 2022.

Link:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...3-live-picks-results/c6d7h6kq9i2i0edun4qoff92

NY Jets68, papapump, Cosmo and 3 others like this.
  2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

On the other hand this could also be them thinking they’re smarter than everyone and the kid is a star. Maybe they know something we don’t. They’re sure acting like it. I hope they’re right.

Jojo, dmw and James Hasty like this.
  3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I actually hope they do lol.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

By acting like it you mean waiting for 10 mins to submit the pick trying to trade down, and then literally acting: high fiving for the cameras? Glad the best pass rusher fell to us at 15! Right.

tomdeb and James Hasty like this.
  5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

1. Who knows how far back the trade offers were and most people agree, you should take someone you like rather than risk losing them

2. You can look at the pick a couple ways; they announced him as LB, he has a ridiculously high ras score, is a lil older and hopefully smarter… they could see him as taking a Micah Parsons role, a LB and a situational pass rusher

3. We’re stacked at Edge this year but Lawson and Bryce are on the last year of their contracts… wonder why we’ve been hearing “this years strength can be next years need” so much this week? I was thinking WR but DE fits too

4. Having an extra speed rusher can’t be a bad thing, right?

5. Maybe the FO sees our starting OTs differently than this board.

6. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

SmDe

Rich Cimini

Sounds like the Jets were getting some trade interest for the pick, but Douglas decided McDonald was too good to pass up. #Jets

NCJetsfan and egelband like this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No they don't. The problem is that the starting OT wasn't available because JD fucked up before with Rodgers trade. Why do you think Pitts jumped us?

8. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

The Jets had 45 sacks last year. 12 from Q alone, and 7 from Lawson. Everyone else had 3.5 or less. If McDonald develops to give us at least Lawson's numbers, it's a win. If he becomes a decent OLB and Kwon's replacement, even better.

egelband likes this.
  9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

How did you expect them to act after their first round selection? Of course they have to look/sound happy even though deep down everyone save Douglas was probably shocked. The very last thing the jets needed was this guy, especially with Huff just signing his second round tender. Why the hell do they need McDonald at DE when they already have
    Huff
    Lawson
    Johnson
    Franklin Myers
    Clemons

Good grief! Try another position, Douglas! You spent two of our very few draft picks LAST year on DE, and our first rounder this year, and you already have a full stable of DE.
    Reminds me of Mike MacMoron drafting FOUR DBs and THREE receivers in 2017 draft alone. Don't these guys ever check their current roster before the draft?????????????????

teamgreen likes this.
  10. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Watching Jets fans melt down over this pick is hilarious. This reminds me why I hardly read this site. LMFAO! Bunch of 5 year olds.

11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

“No they don’t” what? I wrote a 5 pointed post and wasn’t replying to you so please be more specific.

To answer YOUR question, I think Pittsburg jumped us because THEY believed they had to. JD had offers to trade back, if he didn’t like the pick at that spot he wouldn’t have taken it.

Those are facts… I’ll add a little speculation; the trade up cost to 12 wouldn’t have been much, if JD wanted a tackle he would’ve traded and taken a tackle.

dmw likes this.
  12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Then you get posts like this where you're acting like this team has been relevant In the last 13 years.

They haven't.

papapump, HomeoftheJets and tomdeb like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Missing out on Broderick Jones. That’s gonna be what cost us a ring. We can pinpoint this exact night as the night it all went to shit and we blew any chance we had. A day that will forever live in infamy.

Jets Super Bowl Dreams
    4/25/2023 - 4/27/2023

RIP

14. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

It's a discussion about the pick, what do you expect? The only way we will truly know about him, it will be when we watch him play. For now, it seems like not a need and a reach.

papapump and tomdeb like this.
  15. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Could have done that and took OT Anton Harrison...

tomdeb likes this.
  16. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

It’s apparent nobody knows anything about this kid. Maybe hes a bust, maybe he’s really good. Plenty of mocks had the bills taking him. We will have to wait and see

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am not even against this pick, even though it is a massive and unexpected reach. A lot of the guys in the draft are anywhere between 15 and 50. The part that hurts is the stupidity of losing #13 pick, where we could have had a blue chip tackle. The pain is giving away essentially another first round pick, which is what this swap turned out to be. And doing it when we have 40 year old QB who needs to be protected. But I have nothing against the kid. Hopefully it means JFM is moving inside permanently and is bulking up to play DT. If not, then JD just shitted away 1st round pick completely: either this one or Jermaine.

BacktoQueens and tomdeb like this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas has wasted first round picks on Becton, Zach Wilson, and now McDonald. And it's cumulative. We need an OT in 2023 because he whiffed on Bechton. We had to trade for Rodgers because he took Zach Wilson. Now we missed the OL at 13, because he traded it in Rodgers deal . Dumb dip--Douglas needs to go.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance, but who the fuck is he?

20. jets4848

jets4848 Trolls

No ring=waste of 2024 1st round pick. How we even gonna get to the playoffs if we can't protect our biggest investment.