Joe Douglas: Superstar?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LogeSection2RowJ, Apr 24, 2023.

1. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Is he pulling this off? Are we standing firm forcing the Packers and all of our pundits who laugh at us, as well as the majority of less-knowledgable fans who don't understand the economics and contract details, to buckle before our man Joe and realize we have more than competitent leadership at the GM position after so many years of nonsense? It sure looks that way.

The Elijah Moore trade was a bonafide sign of what Joe might give up if forced to. So the news we'll get soon could be that we're trading that extra 2nd round pick for Aaron. I bet JD doesn't even want to do that. I know that many of us Jets fans have seen wacky disasters befell this team in the past. I won't name them here. I myself have kept open that slight amount of skepticism, even though I've remained in favor of the move and positive about it happening on our terms.

If Joe Douglas pulls this off despite the tremendous sports media and perhaps league wide pressure, its cause for wild celebration, and talk of him being given another extension and keeping Joe Douglas as our GM for as long as possible.

Argue against that.

(Note: This was written prior to the deal going down. Afterwards, he gave up more that I expected, namely the first round pick next year. Regardless, look at where the Jets are now compared to 2020)

#1 LogeSection2RowJ, Apr 24, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    hornblower likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He could trade for Mahomes and Nick Bosa in the off-season but it still comes down to putting wins on the board.

He hasn’t done that. Any talk of extensions before that are silly.

papapump, SOJAZ, Br4d and 1 other person like this.
  3. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The deal has been done for probably weeks now. He’s not standing in the face of anything. You’re just being manipulated by a media that will create stories to keep your attention. From a media perspective the worst thing in the world would be to report on the trade being finalized weeks ago and having nothing to talk about. Most likely it’s a June 1st trade for cap reasons, which every reputable pundit said right at the beginning they didn’t see how the deal could be done before June 1st given his contract, until they pretty much all stopped saying that because it takes away from the drama.

hornblower likes this.
  4. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Considering what he is responsible for I would almost lean towards an extension. The most talent and depth we have had on this roster in a long time. He should get another chance at hiring another coach

boozer32 and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

JD is responsible for bringing in sufficient talent for the Jets to become a winner. The CS is responsible to turn talent into wins. JD could be blamed for bringing in the wrong HC but not for what transpires in the field of play. A great HC makes a winner out of teams with average talent, a shit HC does the opposite.

egelband, boozer32 and westiedog1 like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Ok, but you don’t extend a GM that has never gotten you to the playoffs because in theory you like his off-season moves.

He also bombed an entire draft, took Zach Wilson at 2 and traded up for a runningback and a guard in successive drafts.

ConcordeChops, Br4d and Jets69 like this.
  7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

If this deal were done, then it would be known already. In today's social media world Rodgers being traded to the Jets is such a huge story that it wouldn't be kept quiet especially with the NY media in this market. I do think it will get done but right now it hasn't happened yet.

8. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Douglas is certainly a unique case. He bombed horribly with picks at QB and left tackle, which would normally be the death knell for a GM, yet he gets a fair amount of respect for many of his other picks/moves. I think at this point though, we have to start putting some serious wins on the board and make a playoff appearance or he and Saleh are gonzo.

egelband likes this.
  9. DCanadian

DCanadian Active Member

He gave up way too much for Aaron Rodgers.
    He lost this staredown with Guntekunst. Plain and simple.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

JD fans will never see it that way...

11. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

The only thing I don't like about the deal is the conditional, everything else is what I expected.

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Something seems off though with the conditional …. I have a hard time believing JD caved to that unless there’s a guarantee he’s playing in 2024.

13. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah we lost this trade. Tired of everyone saying it's a great deal. A 1st round pick swap, a second, and a conditional 1st/2nd for a player who could retire after one season here??

14. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree. Be a decent trade if it weren't for this. Should have been a 3rd/conditional 2nd at the most

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

We flat out got fleeced on this deal.
    The amount of draft captial that's been squandered trying to address the QB position is staggering.
    And we still don't have a backup that can come in if needed.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I’m with ya. Felt like the conditional pick should’ve started as a 3 and had steeper conditions associated with it but other than that, it’s kinda right on track with what I thought would happen.

As of right now, we’ve essentially traded 2 2’s, a 3, and a 6 for Rodgers and a 5.

With how everyone is acting on here you would’ve thought we gave up 3 1’s.

17. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Joe blinked. Maybe Woody forced his hand.

This deal is a raping. If Rodgers only plays one season or if his age totally catches up to him, this deal could end up being a franchise wrecker.

It will only make sense if we make the SB - lots of laughs on that one !!!

Could have had Carr for 4 years, less salary, and zero draft capital. Anybody here believe that this was the way to go ?????

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

This is a bad deal. No doubt. I wouldn't call him a superstar until we win to be honest.

JetFanInNE and Jedi mind tricks like this.
  19. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Let's slow down please

20. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Ask Woody.