Quinnen wants new contract before offseason programs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Jan 9, 2023.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Wilkerson always looked pregnant to me. No, Muhammad Wilkerson did not look fat to me, he looked pregnant to me. How old is that kid now? Anyway, we started yelling when is the baby due before he left.

#41 jetophile, Apr 18, 2023
    Last edited: May 4, 2023
  2. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Not our problem unless we pay for tickets. Joe Douglas will never never set the market. That is how to do business. Heck it's April. Q's agent can do his job without our help.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Q is going to be a double digit sack guy every year you lock him up to a good deal now and if the cap explodes he's a real value.

DT's are on the ball and the offense has to deal with them on every play.

papapump and stinkyB like this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think the deal will be done just under 25 mil per year before the mandatory training camp. The market seems to be set by other players already. Cool tidbit: the guy leads his draft class in sacks, forced fumbles, and pass rush win rate since being drafted even though first 3 season were not stellar: https://ganggreendaily.substack.com/p/quinnen-williams-poised-to-shatter
    If he agrees to under 25 mil per year, he will be announced soon enough.

#44 Borat, Apr 18, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    ouchy, SOJAZ, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Half the stuff I read about the Rodgers situation says that in getting a deal done his contract will be restructured. So, finding the money or space in the cap seems to be a concern of some who should know what's going on, if not exact terms of any deal.

6. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Pay this man

papapump and NOVAJET like this.
  7. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I think we all know that a deal will get done at some point. Q will get his money and anchor this defense for the next few years.

hornblower likes this.
  8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

He’s a great player, but he’s never been the anchor of the D and he never should be. Whenever the talent level around him wasn’t that good his level of play never elevated the D. He’s a great piece, but he needs a lot of support around him to make the major impact he made last season. Once we’re paying 25+m a year we’re not going to be able to afford to put all that support around him. I love the guy to death, great player, great teammate. But I’d trade him in a heartbeat given he’s worth at least a 1st rounder and I’d draft his replacement in hopes of getting Q like production again on a rookie contract.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Some shade by QW after JD's comments? Get it done JD

10. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Yep. It’s rare these guys get leverage. Usually they’re treated like cannon fodder. (NFL Pet peeve of mine). When a guy gets the upper hand I see no reason not to use it.

11. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I’m just sayin…. Q is awesome. Great DT. Had a wonderful year, which was nice considering up to that point he was a solid DT. With the influx of talent he excelled and showed what he can do when he faces more 1x1’s and mismatches. That said, I believe we can find the next Quinnen Williams in the draft, just like we’ve been doing for years at DT. QW is worth a haul right now, and with the influx of picks we could get for him I think you could find his replacement plus alot more draft capital…. And most importantly not be committing 25-30m a year at the DT position. I know it’s not a popular opinion but it’s what I’d do. Q is not Aaron Donald.

12. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Ed Oliver my ass!!! gotta love Q!

achew/bless you/thank you!!!

13. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Welp, Giants signed Dexter Lawrence to 4 years 90m making him the 3rd highest paid DT. Q is gonna want a lot more than that, rightfully so.

14. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Pay the man his $. Happening next week, book it.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Big Cuddly is an elite player and we saw his impact when he was out and the defense fell apart. Nobody is Aaron Donald but Aaron Donald. It does not lessen how great Q is.

Added to that, he's a stellar guy that wouldn't hurt a fly off the field. Pay this dude. Keep your homegrown talent.

16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I can’t argue that either.

abyzmul likes this.
  17. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Sign this man to the value he's worth. He's 25 years old and we apparently are going all in the next couple years. He has to be here, period. Give him a five year deal and will go from there when the time comes. Of course this isn't my money, but he's our leader at D. It'll get done. No way Joe D lets this drag out in our current situation.

KY Jets Fan and papapump like this.
  18. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

This is much more complicated than it appears. Quinnen costs less than $10 million this year on the 5th year option. Assuming franchise costs are the same next year as this year, the franchise tag for him would cost approximately $19 million for 2024 (https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/01/nfl-sets-2023-franchise-transition-tag-figures). To franchise him again for 2025 would increase the $19 million to approximately $21 million (120% of prior franchise year contract) and to franchise him again for 2026 would increase the $21 million to about $23 million. This would result in a total of about $73 million (+ increases in cost of franchise tag) for the next 4 years. All are much cheaper than giving him a multi-year contract at $25 million/year with big bucks guaranteed. Also, in the event of serious injury, QW would not have any guaranteed money and they could just choose not to franchise him and let him go and have no further obligations to him.

This is essentially what happened with Marcus Maye. He was demanding a big multi-year contract with serious guarantees and JD decided its just much cheaper to franchise him, so that's what he did. JD offered him a multi-year deal but at less money than Maye thought he deserved then he got injured and JD decided we won't franchise him again and then he left (and got substantially less money in the free agent market than what he was seeking at least partially because of his injury which he was still recovering from).

Just to be clear, JD's decision on what is an appropriate multi-year contract for a player that he can franchise takes into account what the cost would be to just franchise him and the cost to the franchise as well as the benefit to the player the extra security a long-term contract provides to the player. Now, if he decides that he doesn't want to create the badwill with Quinnen perhaps he's willing to pay more than he normally would in this type of situation. Given the history, I would be surprised if over this offseason, JD were willing to give him a $25 million/year 4 year deal. Especially given that he could just franchise him for the next 3 years after the 5th year option expires and it would cost significantly less money with nothing guaranteed. I could see him offering something like a $20 million/year, $80 million 4 year contract with $40-$60 million guaranteed.

Now, I know some people are going to read this and say Quinnen "deserves" the $25 million/year multi-year deal. Does anyone really ever "deserve" a $100 million 4-year contract? Quinnen is a very good player and he is valuable to the Jets, but just as the Jets have to eat a bad contract with significant guarantees when a player is overpaid, they also get the benefit of a good contract and the NFL agreed rules with the players association when a player is underpaid. It's all business.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm totally in agreement on long-term guaranteed contracts being unwise.

That said it all depends on whether he is going to be a Hall of Fame player. The Jets can option him and franchise him three times and then have no control. That is 4 years into his year 29 season. Normally it makes sense to get those years as cheaply as possible and then let somebody else pay the guy who is about to go over the hill.

However if Q is going to be a Hall of Fame player his 29-32 years are going to be as good as his 25-28 ones are and he'll be doing that for somebody else.

So it really comes down to whether you think he's about to go all Aaron Donald/Warren Sapp or whether you think we just saw one of a few peaks seasons he will have on his way to a distinguished but not extraordinary career.

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Pay Q. All of these guys except for Wilkins have signed extensions and Q is probably better than all of them, although I could see an argument for he and Lawrence being pretty close.

I was originally envisioning a 4 year/100M deal with something in the neighborhood of 60-65M fully guaranteed and I think that'll be pretty close to what it ends up being. Total might come down a bit and bring it closer to 24-24.5M for AAV, so 96-98M total instead of 100 but he's earned it and looks to be an integral piece of our DL going forward. No reason not to lock him up IMO.

Br4d and Jets79 like this.