2022-2023 Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by statjeff22, Nov 1, 2022.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That’s why it’s important to keep that first WC spot. I don’t foresee us beating Boston but Sorokin can steal a series or two on his own on the other side.

stinkyB and Red Menace like this.
  2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Terrible start costs the Islanders a point against what is probably the worst team in the league.

Parise's goal makes him and his dad J.P. the fourth father-son duo to each have a 20-goal season with the same franchise (Hodges with Boston, Stastnys with Quebec/Colorado, Malones with Pittsburgh).

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Back from UBS after a wonderfully crappy showing by the boys. They seem to be showing their true colors as we go down the stretch.

The burnt ends sandwich at Mighty Quinn’s, however, was quite tasty, although very overpriced.

4. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I was there as well... bad first period, decent second period and then... ugh

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Huge win tonight. We needed this. The Panthers lost as well. So they increase their lead over the Pens to 3 points and the Panthers to 6 points

Red Menace likes this.
  6. JetBlue

Looks like it’s going to come down the the Isles and Pens; I don’t see the Panthers recovering from their recent swoon. For all of our concerns, every decision the Panthers made last offseason, from not retaining their interim coach to revamping their roster, turned out to be an abject disaster.

if the Isles don’t hold onto the first WC spot I’ll consider the season a failure.

7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

At this point it really comes down to WC 1 vs WC 2. Barring a major collapse, the Isles will make the playoffs. Definitely want WC 1 to avoid the B's. The Canes will be tough as well, but I think the Isles have a better chance against them then the B's. Tough 3 game road trip coming up. Tomorrow at the Caps, then over the weekend at the Lightning and Canes on Sat/Sun. They come out of that 1-1-1 I will be happy.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. JetBlue

Thankfully the Pens have an equally challenging schedule for them, and as they showed tonight they are capable of losing to anybody. If the Isles can’t hold on to the top WC spot with the way the Pens and Panthers are playing it’ll be an abject disaster.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

They can start by beating the Caps tonight. BTW the game is on TNT for those who might not know. Also, the Panthers play at the Maple Leafs. I hate the Leafs but hopefully they can help us out tonight.

10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Huge win over the Caps tonight. Only bad thing is the Panthers came back to beat the Leafs. Good start to this road trip.

11. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Big win tonight but they still can't score despite creating all those chances in the 3rd period. Was that Sorokin's first ever shootout win?

12. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Getting dominated by Tampa Bay...hardly a surprise

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is why they are a wildcard team, they just can’t matchup agains the top teams.

If they get in I hope they don’t get swept and at least make it competitive.

14. JetBlue

Fortunately for the Isles the Canes are limping down the stretch.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

Limping well enough to beat a team that can't score

Red Menace likes this.
  16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

This past weekend was a reality check. Even if the Isles get in does anyone see them beating the B's or Canes in Rd 1. I say the Isles lose in 4 or 5. As for the rest of the schedule the Isles play Tampa at UBS on Thursday. The only good news here is the Lightning play the Rangers the night before. So, Vasilevskiy will probably play at MSG with the Isles getting the backup. Even so I doubt we win here. The rest of the schedule is not that hard. Flyers on Saturday then at Caps, and the Canadiens at home. The Isles "SHOULD" win those games. Will they? Who knows.

17. JetBlue

Despite yesterday I’ll take the Isles in a 7 game series against the Canes with Sorokin at his best. The question is can the Isles win enough in the next four to even hold that spot?

18. JetBlue

And just like that the Isles are out of the top WC spot. I’d rather see them miss the playoffs than choke their way to the Boston Bruins.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

4 games left. Lightning, Flyers, at Caps, Canadiens. The Lightning are the only really tough game, and they play the Rangers tonight and the Isles tomorrow. Hopefully they start Vasilevskiy tonight and their back up tomorrow. If they play Vas I am not even watching as I know we will get shut out. Anyway 3-1 is very doable as the other games aren't that tough. But this is the Islanders so it would not surprise me if they fuck up in one of the games they should win. Want no part of Boston. The B's would either sweep the Isles or beat them in 5. The series will not go 6 games. Carolina will also be a tough series, but I think the Isles would have a chance because of Sorokin.

JetBlue likes this.
  20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Looking good so far. Up 4-1 over TB after 2 periods. Good thing as Pitt is winning 3-0 and Florida is winning 7-1. Need to close this out with a strong 3rd period.

JetBlue likes this.