Lamar Jackson

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 7, 2023.

?

Should the Jets go after Lamar?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Don't love the idea but putting it out there for the Lamar guys lol. I would definitely go after him if we don't get Rodgers and would use this for leverage.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The numbers are not the issue. Watson contract was guaranteed to the max. Stupidest contract ever signed for a guy that hadn’t played in almost 2 years. No one else will consider that level of guarantees. In fact Watson contract has already being restructured to help the team. I don’t see too many teams eagerly knocking at the door for LJ.

3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

it was a projection of what they see in the mirror

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I just don't want to take the risk on LJ as a running QB. If we could structure the offense so he only had to run occasionally I'd be fine with him as the QB. If him running is a featured part of the offense then I'm just not interested. Runningbacks don't get a lot of guaranteed money because there's no guarantee they'll earn it.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If you’re giving up two firsts and paying him a shit ton of money to run less, why bother? That’s the draw to Lamar. And that’s why I have no interest.

6. Br4d

He's actually a pretty good QB and if you put him in a good structure he could be a great QB.

I've liked him as a passer since his Louisville days and that included all the sidearm shenanigans. He has a fast accurate release and a good arm.

Just as a passer he's much better than any young QB we've had since Chad.

#86 Br4d, Mar 25, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    westiedog1 likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO, all being equal, the questions that must be addressed by the Jets leadership as the saga with GB continues is quite frankly what is the brake point where AR negotiations are no longer in our best interest? And secondly, as time moves on towards the draft is our position getting stronger or weaker and what is our back up plan?
    Key considerations
    1) Is the number one pick this year for potentially a one year contract with AR still better for than two first round picks for a long term contract with LJ? The later would put the QB problem to bed for good.
    2) Who has the advantage by waiting past draft day? This is tricky, seems like the Jets would gain a decisive advantage if and only if we have a back up solution at QB. Then we can wait and explore whomever. Zach is not an option at this point
    3)Who should blink next? We should. We can not continue down this path without bringing in reinforcements at the QB position, regardless if its AR,LJ, Tannehill or Stafford. Once we bring in a reasonable back up, GB leverage goes up in smoke. Send the signal, worst case we role with X. I don't know who that would be, but there are second tier QB out there, reasonable back ups that can hold the fort and make GB either shit or get off the pot.

8. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

No. It’s not the right time.

We wait and give up their 2024 and 2025 1st rounds. Maybe Baltimore matches 5 years 230mm but they wouldn’t match 5 years 250mm.

If the Jets ever make a move on Lamar it’s after the draft. Probably after week 1 after GB pays AR and kills themselves for years.

LAJet likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This was a few weeks back when it appears as if was Rodgers did not want come here, so I was asking if it was time to start talking to Lamar who is the next best thing. But yes, either way, I agree, if we had a deal with Lamar, it would be much better to put this on paper after the draft to preserve #13.

ouchy and LAJet like this.
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

11. Br4d

Ya know some guys are very optimistic. For a player with no reps to ask for an open-ended Q&A is likely a really bad move.

12. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Forgive me if this point was raised somewhere else:

The Panthers recently traded for the bears first overall pick, with which they most likely draft a QB:

[​IMG]

That HAUL that the Panthers gave up for an unproven commodity would SURELY be more than enough to trade for the rights for Jackson.

I think Jackson may not be as highly regarded around the league as we would be made to believe

13. dawinner127

They can't trade for Jackson because they don't own consecutive picks in 23/24 that are their own. Lamar is still under the nonexclusive. He would need to sign the tag then get traded after signing, but I don't know if that is even possible?

14. HackettSuxTNG

Conceding to your point, do you agree that what they gave up for that pick under normal circumstance be more than enough for Jackson?

15. dawinner127

Yeah they could have easily given up 2023 1 and 2024 1 and just give him the money for what he wants. Seems like a no brainer.

16. Br4d

The money is a huge disincentive to sign/trade for LJ.

His requirement of $200M+ guaranteed is just a non-starter for a guy that cannot reliably stay on the field.

If he had an agent he would know that. As it is he is stuck thinking that people are avoiding him for other reasons when really the guarantees vs his fragility are the issue.

17. HackettSuxTNG

Something doesn't add up here.

18. dawinner127

I don't even understand why he is so hung up on the GTD money. These QB contracts get ripped up and redone every year to create more cap space every year so he would get his money upfront every year GTD as the years kept going.

19. HackettSuxTNG

I think the Panthers are one of the few teams under the cap enough to have pull it off.

20. dawinner127

Teams don't want to be looked at like the Browns and be the ones offering 5/200 GTD I guess. Set a precedent that all owners will be pissed about? Why do all the negotiating with Lamar if the Ravens are going to match anyways? Idk.