Bills Safety Hamlin Collapses on field gets CPR

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 2, 2023.

1. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Scary scene during Monday Night Football Bills vs. Bengals. Damar Hamlin reportedly collapsed on field after making a play on Bengals Tee Higgins. Hamlin received cpr on field and rushed to hospital. Game delayed.

2. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Was really a frightening picture, seeing the kid's body just go limp, and go down. Now in critical condition.
    Put's this whole thing in proper perspective... prayers to Mr Hamlin & his family!

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  3. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Here we are moaning and groaning about the Jets and this poor guy is fighting for his life. Hope he pulls through. Jarring.

burf likes this.
  4. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

I really hope he's alright. I've heard a few doctors weigh in on this and it looks like Commotio Cordis. Extremely rare because of the timing required, but it can lead to oxygen deprivation to the brain, so I really hope he pulls through.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commotio_cordis

jilozzo and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  5. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

If it were the Dolphins, I bet they'd ask if they. Old just play around him.

Luckily these two teams take injuries more seriously.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

thats exactly what it is. not as rare as we think as it does occur occasionally in MVA's and other blunt trauma to chest.

stinkyB likes this.
  7. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I just read that he is improving greatly? Neuro seems to intact. That would be amazing news! If so, major probs to the medical staff in cinci on the field. I would suspect that not many would make it through this?

8. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

No expert, but a key factor being cited is the immediacy of response. A defibrillator was used. As medical professionals can't be present everywhere in everyday settings, it is important that defibrillators are as widely available as possible.

I hope some focus goes on making them more affordable. Our defib cost £1300 (or $1500). A lot of money for essential equipment for a local sports club.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Google now shows some models available for as little as $800. In 2000 Louis Acompora, a 14 year old lacrosse goalie on Long Island took a shot to the chest and died on the field; within two years NY State had passed a law in response to attention from an organization formed by his family requiring AEDs to be placed in all schools and, I believe, in commercial gyms and other locations where people are exercising; stories are now frequently seen in newspapers and other media about lives being saved by their early availability.

UK_Chilts likes this.
  10. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

You know, if I was in charge of marketing for a company like, oh say.... Nike, and I was looking for a spokesperson who personified the ability to unify people of all backgrounds, I would think of Damar Hamlin.

11. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Just saw an AP report that they removed his tube, and he is breathing on his own.

Good news!

stinkyB and MoWilkBeast like this.
  12. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

It depends on the situation. If, for example, the defib is to be permanently sited outside it needs to be in a heated box and be wired in to an electrical circuit. These cost around the figure previosuly quoted. If in an indoor setting where there is no likelihood of the air temperature dropping below the set temperature (can't remember what that was, but around freezing) then a plug into socket, un-heated cheaper option can be obtained. There are also portable versions, but these aren't suitable for permanent siting and have to be fully charged up prior to use each time so suitable for camping trips or similar were there isn't going to be access to power. The organization I coach for has updated their AED in the last 2 months and I've just had my training! Commotio Cordis is one of the biggest risks I could encounter. That's why I know about it.

Acad23 likes this.
  13. Ralebird

A company like, oh say...Nike could afford to buy a whole load of AEDs and place them where youth groups and schools might need them and no laws require their availability. Kind of like giving back to their best customers.

stinkyB likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

15. Ralebird

"According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 2,000 young, seemingly healthy people under age 25 in the United States die each year of sudden cardiac arrest."
    Sudden Cardiac Arrest in Young People - HealthyChildren.org

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Your link contains no information from the CDC. It does contain a link to a registry to track cardiac death in teens that began in 2022.

What nobody in the media talks about is the CDC is a hugely corrupt organization that was taken over by big pharma before any of us were born.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Decades old corruption doesn’t matter anymore, OU. The government’s led health departments have told enough lies over the past 2.5 years for generations.

#17 Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 25, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    ouchy likes this.
  18. Ralebird

The quote mentioning the CDC is from the second paragraph of the article I linked. It shows that sudden cardiac arrest is not as rare as some may think and is not limited to young athletes as the registry you reference is for those up to age twenty.

The rest of your post appears to be of a political nature so I will not address it other than to say offering such an opinion without supporting it in any way is futile in convincing anyone.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be political I'm just getting into the mind of our new QB. ;)

The CDC page links death of people between ages 1 through 39 in Michigan. Not just teens. I was not able to find a study mentioned in the article. However, the COVID vaccine isn't the only medication that can create cardiac issues. The main reason I posted was to point out the CDC is simply another corrupt corporation. Their about money not health.

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

be quiet

Both the left

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/03/peoples-cdc-covid-guidelines

as well as the right

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/how-bad-is-the-cdc/

are in agreement

be quiet

[​IMG]