Zeke to the Jets???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, Mar 23, 2023.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Little that I read he had his surgery in November and projecting late August to begin his training come back in earnest.
    He will be introduced slowly to avoid a further set back.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Based on what, a rumor about Zeke?

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

In the Media's eyes yes

Lon Chaney likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Hard to blame them. We’ve patch-fixed the runningback position with veterans until we drafted Breece Hall since Curtis Martin retired.

Thomas Jones > LT > Matt Forte > Chris Ivory > Isaiah Crowell > LeVeon Bell > Frank Gore

It is truly the dumbest fucking strategy a NFL team could employ. You draft a bell cow in the 2nd or later, run them into the ground, rinse and repeat.

In this case it does make sense though as far as Zeke is concerned though.

Frenbar, Lon Chaney, papapump and 2 others like this.
  5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

this

papapump and apjbfc like this.
  6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I say this because short term solutions are never the answer. Aaron Rodgers is just a bandaid and if he is only on this team for 2 years and nothing comes from it, no young QB is drafted, Jets give up too much to get him, they crush their own cap space with his contract, the ripple effects of that are going to be felt for years to come, not just for two seasons.

The Jets have to win a SB like the Rams did with Stafford for this move to be considered a success.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Sounds good, thanks! Yeah I would be very careful bringing him back too quickly. The following season he will be 23 with his prime squarely in front of him.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There'd be nothing wrong with Ezekiel Elliott to the Jets on a short term deal that we could get out of after next year without heavy cap issues.

He was hurt last season with a sprained MCL but he'll be 28 this year and should have another decent year in the tank. For the Jets this would be as part of a RBBC where his role could be anywhere from #1A to #2 depending on how Breece Hall recovers from the injury. Ideally we feel no pressure to run Hall out there until he's ready to go and we don't put much of a load on him this season anyway.

Elliott is not the main stud he used to be but he's a very serviceable #1 in an RBBC.

Ralebird likes this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

And he has over a 50% success rate in red zone, an area we were terrible at last year. So there is that.

Br4d, azhar80 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  10. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Too much tread on the tires in college and pros. I'd rather see us spend our money elsewhere.

Losmeister likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

He’s always been an awesome short yard and goal line back because he has unbelievable leg drive.

12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yeah his ability to get into the end zone is highly enticing. I think Zeke and Rodgers will both be renewed coming in here for next season. I could be wrong but I just feel like they both want to prove something that they can still produce at a high level.

I always thought Zeke ran smart too, really good vision. I still believe there are RB gems to be had in rounds 2-4 of the draft these days but Zeke should be under consideration too.

13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Apparently Zeke is still being paid 10mill by the cowboys this year so he may play on the vet min.

14. Br4d

If he's actually being paid in a way that the Cowboys cannot recover the differential then it opens up the possibility of a 2 year $16 million deal with $6M guaranteed this year and $10M not guaranteed next year. Would give us the option to hold onto Elliott if he had a big comeback season or if Breece Hall had setbacks.

You could even do $6M guaranteed this season with a $5M option bonus on 5th day of the '24 league season and $5M more guaranteed if the option bonus was picked up. That would give Elliott a free run in free agency next year if the option was not picked up.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Why would he do that though? He has several teams interested. He’d be crazy to go to any of the three of them for the vet minimum if someone offers more.

16. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

17. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Looks like Jets have no interest in Zeke. Not surprised. He's not the same Zeke from a few years back. It is interesting how players actually seem to want to come to the Jets, though.

18. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Lev bell 2.0

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  19. Br4d

Probably not. Leveon Bell sucked because he took a year off. Taking a year off is killer for a professional player. You think you're doing all the things you need to do to stay competitive but there really is no substitute for actually competing.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I'm fine with going into the season with the 4 backs we have on the roster right now. If we end up drafting one with one of our later picks for depth that's okay with me too, but we have too many other needs.